Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 2:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest 

What grade would you give this film?
A 44%  44%  [ 38 ]
B 34%  34%  [ 29 ]
C 12%  12%  [ 10 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
F 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 86

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest 
Extraordinary

Against my better judgement I was dragged out to see POTC2 tonight, and have to admit it was much worse than I had feared. What an overlong repetitive piece of dreck! By the third hour, I could only pray it would be over soon -- but it kept dragging on, and on, and on...

-1 out of 5.

(Don't tell me this was a good pirate movie, unless you have seen The Black Pirate. That 1926 Douglas Fairbanks movie has more intense pirate action in it's 88 minutes than the whole stinkin' POTC trilogy will have in it's whole nine hour running time. Yeeeeeshhh!)

Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:48 am
College Boy Z

Did anyone stay after the credits? I heard there's a scene at the end.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:33 am
loyalfromlondon

Yeah, it's just the dog on the island with the natives, and he's now the chief. So the natives are gonna eat the dog. Nothing special.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:36 am
Killing With Kindness

The BO Emperor has no clothes!!!

Against my better judgement I was dragged out to see POTC2 tonight, and have to admit it was much worse than I had feared. What an overlong repetitive piece of dreck! By the third hour, I could only pray it would be over soon -- but it kept dragging on, and on, and on...

-1 out of 5.

(Don't tell me this was a good pirate movie, unless you have seen The Black Pirate. That 1926 Douglas Fairbanks movie has more intense pirate action in it's 88 minutes than the whole stinkin' POTC trilogy will have in it's whole nine hour running time. Yeeeeeshhh!)

WTF :disgust:

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:22 am
Profile WWW
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

A couple of small gripes . The character interraction, banter and dialog wasn't quite as smart as the original POTC, and I thought the third act ran a little too long.

Other than that, thus IS what a summer popcorn film should be.

B+

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:37 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

WTF :disgust:

You heard me.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:46 am
The Lubitsch Touch

I enjoyed it, wasn't crazy about it. The first one was miles better.

And bradley.....The Black Pirate is NOT a good movie. I love silent movies, and I could still barely finish it.

The Crimson Pirate is a good pirate movie.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:57 pm
Extraordinary

I enjoyed it, wasn't crazy about it. The first one was miles better.

And bradley.....The Black Pirate is NOT a good movie. I love silent movies, and I could still barely finish it.

I disagree, but since you have seen it, I will accept your review of POTC2...

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:33 pm
Romosexual!

as good as the first. :D can't wait for the 3rd.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:35 pm
Romosexual!

Zingaling wrote:

Yeah, it's just the dog on the island with the natives, and he's now the chief. So the natives are gonna eat the dog. Nothing special.

yeah i made my friends wait to see that and they almost killed me for it. lol

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:37 pm
I'm Batman

Bradley the movie is only 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:07 pm
problem?

Iloooovvveeeethefirstmovie.Itwassocharming,sofun,sogreat.And Orlandowasattheheightofhishotness,too.Mmm,Orlando.

ButDeadMan'sChest,well..itlosteverysingleounceofcharmthatthefirsthad.Itjustwasn'tafunmovie.Sure, ithaditsmoments,butitwasincrediblyboringattimes.Andsomehow,someway,OrlandolostitafterTroy.Every singleoneofmyfriendsagreethatOrlandojustisn'tcuteanymore.Notatall.Ilookathimand amlike"Meh!"whichisohsoverysad. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Iwasanticipatingthisagooddeal,butnottoomuchtowhereIoverhypedmyself.Iactuallyforgotitwascomingout untiltheTVspotsstartedairing.ButIwasstillleftseverelydisappointed.Itishundreds ofmilesbehindtheawesomelyfunCurseoftheBlackPearl.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:20 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Cannibal Island- hasn't that rope bridge set been in six Tarzan movies?? and if I want to go 'upriver' to meet a spooky leader, I'll watch Apocalypse Now........... I think over half the action scenes are lifted from prior movies...
Still a C...........
But I did see a lot of kids bying blowguns at the $ store today..

Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Bradley the movie is only 2 hours and 30 minutes.

The third hour begins right after the second hour ends -- but the running time wouldn't have mattered if the movie had not been so freakin' boring...

(Still, I'm glad to hear that at least some WOKJer's enjoyed it.)

Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:21 pm
life begins now

The first one was a little better, but this was really all I could have hoped for in the sequel. It ran a little long, but that may have been just because I was tired from working all day. I'll have to catch it again in theaters or on DVD. The special effects were amazing, as were most of the technicals. It had one of the best endings I've seen this year and sets the nextt one up perfectly.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:19 pm
Profile YIM
Indiana Jones IV

Well this one was not as good as the first but was a good summer flick...I wish Jack would have had more "funny" moments as in Curse of the Black Pearl, but he had his share. The special effects and CGI were outstanding...Davey Jones looked real, no joke. The cliffhanger at the end will definetely bring about everyone back too see what happened to Jack and what will happen to everyone and how will the story end. I give it a solid A, while I gave the first one a A+.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Lord of filth

The Black Pirate is okay, as far as Fairbanks movies go, it pales in comparison to Robin Hood!

Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

I enjoyed the film, its definitely much more enjoyable than Superman, and you don't have to deal with all of Superman's problems, as at least Jack's problems are more entertaining. Its a fun film, definitely a bit excess at times, but it was great. I would have REALLY enjoyed to have much more sword play in the film. I could stand Keira more now, Bloom less, but that's ok. Keira wears the pants in that relationship anyway (if you don't believe me, see the movie, she actually does wear pants and plays a better man than Bloom does :tongue: ). Depp is by far the highlight of the film, and I really was excited for all Davy Jones scenes, they were very, very interesting. The one problem I have in rating it, is that I don't feel that I can give it a real rating, without seeing the 3rd film first, as it's the same story. Definitely fun summer fare though.

But alot of the fun of the film was because of the audience I was with. The theater played a Superman energizer film EIGHT times in the five minutes before the film, and the crowd was booing it each time it came on. When they finally stopped showing it, and showed the movie, there were loud cheers. It was a very fun crowd.

So if I do have to rank this, I'd give it a B + (I only give maybe 1 A in any given year, so this is a pretty good rating from me). It's a fun film, but it didn't have the repetitive viewing need that the first one did I think. Everyone will see this, but I'll just wait for DVD to see it again.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:49 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Best line: "It the Bible. You get credit for trying to read it."

Bad news first: There is a major flaw in the script which reverberates throughout the entire movie. The complex and different storylines of each of the characters take them all far away from each other. And so the writers had to cobble together a hodgepodge of excuses and side plots just to physically get everyone either into Tortuga, or onto the Pearl. I can't list them all. There were so many extraneous set pieces and plot threads, I was desperately hoping there wouldn't be a quiz. I do think the writers could have simplified the storyline up to that point. The movie does get better once they all get into the same place at the same time.

Okay, now the good news. The acting is pretty good from everyone, except for Orlando Bloom's usual constipated line delivery. However, Bloom looked just SO. BLASTED. HOT. (hotter than the last movie, and that's saying a lot) that I didn't listen much to what he said. *arrh*ahem* Jack is as good as in the last movie. It doesn't seem like he is, but that's because his novelty is wearing off. Will Turner Senior was amazing, and want to see much more of him. Something I really liked was that the director took care to make Father Will a lot less seaweedy than the rest of the Dutchman's crew. He didn't really fit in with them, and it showed. I loved the Kracken. That CGI was NOT wasted. I was completely taken in by the last cliffhanger.

There was one scene I really, really didn't like, and that was Elizabeth chaining Jack to the mast. I thought Elizabeth had a mean streak in her from the last movie, and now she's proven it beyond doubt.

It's a pretty disjointed reviews, I know. I'm no good at writing them. B+

Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:22 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It's a pretty disjointed reviews, I know. I'm no good at writing them. B+

Nonsense! The only noticeably bad writing in your review was the above comment dissing yourself...

Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:29 am
Indiana Jones IV

Anyway, I'd like to add that I really hope all those little disjointed scenes somehow come together for some high-quality closure in the third movie. The plot of PotC2 is so awfully fragmented right now. What I'm afraid of that the writers are just going to let all that slide, and bring in a whole new set of plot twists.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:45 am
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

Best line: "It the Bible. You get credit for trying to read it."

:lol: Thanks for remding me about that, I totally forgot.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:27 pm
Indiana Jones IV

The Bible quote is good.. But it got few laughs at my viewing..
Also, Ms. Swann had a great innuinodo line, but I forget what she said...
Anyone??

Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:17 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

The Bible quote is good.. But it got few laughs at my viewing..
Also, Ms. Swann had a great innuinodo line, but I forget what she said...
Anyone??

She was talking to Jack, right? I remember what you're talking about, but I can't think of the line.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:33 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next