Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest 

What grade would you give this film?
A 44%  44%  [ 38 ]
B 34%  34%  [ 29 ]
C 12%  12%  [ 10 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
F 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 86

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest 
Indiana Jones IV

Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW
---------

Saw it last night. Loved it!!! The funniest part was the two silly pirates rowing a boat in the middle of nowhere. And they also have the dog, with the keys still in its mouth. I thought that was hilarious!

I don't remember who the British guy was who got his life wrecked. I kept thinking he was the other British guy, but then next scene would show that guy. Storyline was a bit confusing at times, and you couldn't understand what the characters were actually saying IMO, maybe it was just my theater. The weakest scene was the dice "game" between Davy Jones, Bloom, and Bootstrap. I was like "what the heck" as they kept saying all these things, but maybe I didn't hear a line explaining the game.

Loved the clever action scenes though, but the swordplay didn't seem to be taken that seriously, just what was happening around them. Didn't seem like they really wanted to kill each other. But the final action scene with all the characters was sooo fantastic and hilarious!!

Cliffhanger was very shocking, liked the earlier clue to it about the monkey sitting on a boot.

Grade: A-

The funy scenes were definitely not as creative as the first ones. Plus the first movie was more concentrated and less confusing.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:01 pm
Indiana Jones IV

That guy was Norrington from the first movie..the high ranking british guy...Also the dice game is kinda like BS...you try and call someones bluff...There are 15 dice and stuff...thats why they were like 5 fives 8 twos...and then bootstrap said 12 5's and Jones called it...Also..I agree the final action scene was great..that island was amazing...also, the cannibal island scence was great!

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

The Black Pirate is okay, as far as Fairbanks movies go, it pales in comparison to Robin Hood!

Yeah, Robin Hood is the pinnacle of Fairbanks' swashbuckling career. And he had some good ones. The Thief of Baghdad was incredible. The Black Pirate, though...what a chore to sit through! All it really has going for it is the technicolor, but that novelty wears off after about 5 minutes.

And I thought it was a terrible idea for Pirates 2 to hinge such a crucial plot point on a dice game that makes NO SENSE to 90% of the audience. To understand it, I had to read through the AICN talkbalk after I returned from the cinema. Gah!

Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:34 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Just got back from it again...It was really packed for a Monday showing...Anyway enjoyed it alot more this time, I don't know why..Did not seem that long too me...And I laughed alot more then the first time, I have no idea why...Great Stuff!!......Hide the rum!

Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I've been reading the RT's... "Empty calories... Noisey.. The sequel curse.. Like a ride that';s all thrill, tiring.. Choppy editing..."
CCCCCCC

Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:52 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

The Bible quote is good.. But it got few laughs at my viewing..
Also, Ms. Swann had a great innuinodo line, but I forget what she said...
Anyone??

Hmmm... Are you perhaps thinking of the "compass" line?

She says to Jack, "Why doesn't your compass work?"

"My compass works fine," he replies, then looks down. Camera pans out and we see Jack standing right behind a cannon giving a VERY obvious piece of visual innuendo.

Oh.... wait a sec. Maybe you're thinking of:

Liz: "You know, Will taught me how to handle a sword..."
Jack: "As I said... persuade me."

Man... those two full scenes between Jack and Liz were SOOOO charged... Eeek, what great stuff; on par with the "I'd just as soon kiss a wookiee" banter in SW:ESB.

Joy

Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:00 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Does anyone have the script for the Dead mans chest, or a site with all the good quotes?

Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:16 am
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383574/quotes

Don't think it has everything, but some of the good stuff.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:18 am
Indiana Jones IV

Thanks Zing, but I'd already seen that one...I like the ones where Jack talks his off and keep blabbering like about how they shouldent look for the chest because the chest needs the key and its pointless and the one where hes tellin her about how finding Will would be found if they found the chest and the key..

Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:36 am
Profile YIM WWW
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

Does anyone have a transcript of what Tia Dalma said? Half of it was another language, I could swear.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:08 am
Indiana Jones IV

gardenia.11/14.... wrote:
The Bible quote is good.. But it got few laughs at my viewing..
Also, Ms. Swann had a great innuinodo line, but I forget what she said...
Anyone??

Hmmm... Are you perhaps thinking of the "compass" line?

She says to Jack, "Why doesn't your compass work?"

"My compass works fine," he replies, then looks down. Camera pans out and we see Jack standing right behind a cannon giving a VERY obvious piece of visual innuendo.

Oh.... wait a sec. Maybe you're thinking of:

Liz: "You know, Will taught me how to handle a sword..."
Jack: "As I said... persuade me."

Man... those two full scenes between Jack and Liz were SOOOO charged... Eeek, what great stuff; on par with the "I'd just as soon kiss a wookiee" banter in SW:ESB.

Joy

Thanks... I now remember them both.. But they went over my crowd's head..

Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:47 am
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

The weakest scene was the dice "game" between Davy Jones, Bloom, and Bootstrap. I was like "what the heck" as they kept saying all these things, but maybe I didn't hear a line explaining the game.

"It's a game of deciet. Your bet is the total amount on the table, not just your own."

Basically, in the game that was shown on screen, let's so, among the three of them, they rolled 7 5s, three 2s, two 1s, a 4, and two 6s. Your job is to make a bet as to how much of a particular number is on the table...based on what you yourself rolled. So, let's say a character rolls three 5s, a 6, and a 4. He knows there is a minimum of three 5s on the table. Personally, I think it'd be a very intriguing game to play with some friends, although my friends are far too geeky to pass up a night of Hold'Em to test something as odd as this :-/

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:01 am

The game (liar's dice - not a Disney invention) may seem odd, but it's challenging. As there is no prior probability (as in poker card-counting) involved, the game is one of pure deception. Predict the frequency of a certain number without revealing your own count. It's a fun way of deciding among the roommates who will do which chore. :P

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:49 am
Indiana Jones IV

I think the Dice game was a really strong scene in the movie...It was really interesting. Also, Verbinski said in a interview that on the DVD he will have a feature dedicated to just the dice game.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Teenage Dream

So I actually saw it again over the weekend....

And I'm not sure if I liked it as much the second time through. I really felt it's length this time. I think the first fourty five minutes or so are just brilliant, but everything after the cannibal island feels bloated, like almost each scene could have used a snip here and there.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:45 pm
Devil's Advocate

The first 45 minutes are brilliant? Really?

To me, and it seems like to most people here, the opening was by the far the weakest part of the movie.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:47 pm
Extraordinary

I like the almost dialogue-less introduction, with Beckett entering Port Royal and ruining Will and Elizabeth's wedding. After that, though, the pacing gets weird.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:49 pm
Teenage Dream

To me, and it seems like to most people here, the opening was by the far the weakest part of the movie.

Interesting. I dunno. The first fourty five minutes just really clicked for me. I had a huge grin on my face for most of it. Then it kind of turns into exposition city, with the inclusion of the witch character (whom I really didn't like) and stuff.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:56 pm
Top Poster

B, my thoughts on this movie are almost exactly the same as my thoughts on King Kong.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:30 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I think the Dice game was a really strong scene in the movie...It was really interesting. Also, Verbinski said in a interview that on the DVD he will have a feature dedicated to just the dice game.

It was a great scena.. Pirate commaradie... Yet I thought it was too short of an edit... Not enough time to get the feel of it....

Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:40 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

Shack wrote:

Interesting. I dunno. The first fourty five minutes just really clicked for me. I had a huge grin on my face for most of it. Then it kind of turns into exposition city, with the inclusion of the witch character (whom I really didn't like) and stuff.

Exactly why I didn't like it. They just needed an excuse to get Will, Pintel, and Ragetti on the ship, and it adds nothing to the story. Before the island, we know that Sparrow needs to find a key before Davy Jones takes down his ship. After the island, we know exactly the same, except Will is on the ship.

They could have easily trimmed that out (or down, at least) to help the pacing in the latter half of the film.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:03 am

They just needed an excuse to get Will, Pintel, and Ragetti on the ship, and it adds nothing to the story. Before the island, we know that Sparrow needs to find a key before Davy Jones takes down his ship. After the island, we know exactly the same, except Will is on the ship.

They could have easily trimmed that out (or down, at least) to help the pacing in the latter half of the film.

Exactly. The cannibal island act was too long; if they are to keep it, trim down the fluff and get to the (admittedly quite funny - that pole vault got my whole theater guffawing) action sooner.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:10 am
Killing With Kindness

didnt hold up well with the 2nd viewing for me, though I thought the begining was the best. Davy Jones 100% OWNs Barbossa, hes going to be a tough one to top in Pirates 3. Cutler Becket rocked as well great villians in this one.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:12 am
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

insomniacdude wrote:
They just needed an excuse to get Will, Pintel, and Ragetti on the ship, and it adds nothing to the story. Before the island, we know that Sparrow needs to find a key before Davy Jones takes down his ship. After the island, we know exactly the same, except Will is on the ship.

Exactly. The cannibal island act was too long; if they are to keep it, trim down the fluff and get to the (admittedly quite funny - that pole vault got my whole theater guffawing) action sooner.

And the Sparrow-ka-bob...:lol:
And the flying trapeze artists...:lol:

It was a good sequence, it was just horribly out of place.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next