Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 7:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest 

What grade would you give this film?
A 44%  44%  [ 38 ]
B 34%  34%  [ 29 ]
C 12%  12%  [ 10 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
F 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 86

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest 
I just lost the game

insomniacdude wrote:
They just needed an excuse to get Will, Pintel, and Ragetti on the ship, and it adds nothing to the story. Before the island, we know that Sparrow needs to find a key before Davy Jones takes down his ship. After the island, we know exactly the same, except Will is on the ship.

They could have easily trimmed that out (or down, at least) to help the pacing in the latter half of the film.

Exactly. The cannibal island act was too long; if they are to keep it, trim down the fluff and get to the (admittedly quite funny - that pole vault got my whole theater guffawing) action sooner.

And the Sparrow-ka-bob...:lol:
And the flying trapeze artists...:lol:

It was a good sequence, it was just horribly out of place.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:15 am
Indiana Jones IV

Exactly why I didn't like it. They just needed an excuse to get Will, Pintel, and Ragetti on the ship, and it adds nothing to the story. Before the island, we know that Sparrow needs to find a key before Davy Jones takes down his ship. After the island, we know exactly the same, except Will is on the ship.

I think it would have been much easier if Jack was near Tortuga when Will Senior showed up with news and Jack wanted to get to land. Wasn't Tortuga itself some kind of island? Jack could have landedon the Tortuga island and found Will, who was already at Tortuga looking for him, picking up Norrington on the way. They go upriver to see the voodoo lady, and on the way back they run into Pintel+Righetti and Eliz, who could have espcaped from jail together and wound up in Tortuga. Have some adventure on the Tortuga island and off they go on the main plot.

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure they could have come up with something better than they did. I still might see it one more time.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:46 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I really have no clue where to post this, but I found it to be SO awesome, I had to let ya'll in on it:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/commentary ... 0_,00.html

The above-linked article discusses what went into creating the CG characters in DMC, most specifically Davy Jones.

For months on end, most everyone was of the belief that Davy Jones was all CG except for the eyes--that they had preserved Bill Nighy's eyes to give the character depth. Because as we all know, one of the major complaints about Polar Express was that the eyes of the characters (which were CG'd) were "soulless".

Well, guess what? Davy Jones's eyes in DMC are ALL CG!!! And yet I challenge anyone to call them "soulless".

ILM has just broken the barrier between CG and reality and it is so amazing to be witness to it.

Joy

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:05 pm
Cream of the Crop

Exactly my reaction when I read it.... I do believe we have the winner of at least ONE Oscar this coming year. ;)

Joy

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Thats fucking brilliant...No one can say that the CGI or special effects in Pirates was not amazing...One of the best I have ever seen.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

ILM has just broken the barrier between CG and reality and it is so amazing to be witness to it.

Good to see them finally catch up with WETA Digital. :tongue:

Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

So Davy Jones was 100% CGI? That's beyond brilliant.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:29 pm
Artie the One-Man Party

Jones did look brilliant. Just saw the film last night...and I don't know, I had really mixed feelings toward it. I always enjoy a movie like this more when the audience gets into it, and they didn't so I was disappointed about that aspect, but it wasn't really the movie's fault. Some crowds are better than others...For now I'm going to give it a B, because to me it never really felt like a movie, more like one big stretched-out chase scene, and I need to organize my thoughts about this film better.

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:47 am
I just lost the game

Just got back from a second viewing. The beginning doesn't to drag as much...in fact, it flew by. I was able to get a better grasp on everything, and the story really is top-notch, almost nearing the firts in quality (I think the third will yield more information that will make both DMC and AWE surpass the original). My grade still stands at an A, but a much stronger A than it was initially. I only hand out A+ rarely, and those are films that have good rewatch value, so only time will tell if the grade raises to an A+.

Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:13 am
On autopilot for the summer

This film really has too much going on. I liked it, but the first was sooo much better. The action and effects were top notch, but the heart just isnt there anymore. Depp was ok, still had a lot of charm. But I sincerely hate Orlando bloom now, he will be the luckiest man in the world, he is literally gettingy by on a pretty face that is finally no so pretty anymore.

Still fun film though B.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:12 pm
Mod Team Leader

Very disappointing. A bore and much too long.

5/10

Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

B+

More consistent than the first and it feels like it's not dragging itself along as much, but the plot itself is really oddly structured. They don't bother to tell us what the key opens until 90 minutes in, despite every other character seemingly knowing. Granted, anyone with knowledge of a plot synopsis knew, but it was still off-putting. My Back to the Future II comparison was apt in so many ways.

Just saw it, and really enjoyed it, although not as much as the first.

One thing I LIKE in films is where they don't explain everything to us. We can handle mystery from time to time. In fact, that's one of the things I like a lot about the first film -- they don't explain the meaning of the amulet for quite some time.

Too many films (action films especially) explain everything too early. Give me some mystery.

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:22 pm
Profile WWW

The Dark Shape wrote:
B+

More consistent than the first and it feels like it's not dragging itself along as much, but the plot itself is really oddly structured. They don't bother to tell us what the key opens until 90 minutes in, despite every other character seemingly knowing. Granted, anyone with knowledge of a plot synopsis knew, but it was still off-putting. My Back to the Future II comparison was apt in so many ways.

Just saw it, and really enjoyed it, although not as much as the first.

One thing I LIKE in films is where they don't explain everything to us. We can handle mystery from time to time. In fact, that's one of the things I like a lot about the first film -- they don't explain the meaning of the amulet for quite some time.

Too many films (action films especially) explain everything too early. Give me some mystery.

I agree with that too, but here it was somewhat overkill. The whole end, I had no idea what was going on. I like movies with mystery, when there was payoff. There is no payoff here, its all for the next movie. The third will not break any records and will be the least successful of the series. I see a 95 million open, and a 280 million close.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:43 am
Extraordinary

Suffers from the same problem the first one had, its overly too long(about 25minutes to long) it had some nice action but i felt the film fell mostly flat and the humor was no good, Davy Jones (or his face) was a real good SFX character and the film does has some nice sfx, the kraken was not believable though, the scene where it eats jack was laughable and looked like green screen galore.The final scene was good, hopefully the film will center around the best character of the first one(Barbossa).

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:30 am
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Though probably not quite as much as the first.

The thing that struck me about this film were the set-pieces. Black Pearl showed a streak of ingenuity in many of the action scenes, but nothing on the level of this one. The cannibal island escape was my favourite sequence purely because of the sheer visual inventiveness. Johnny tied to a pole flinging coconuts at the natives, the pole turning into a kebab, that hilarious yet awe-inspiring upside-down pole vault, and his subsequent fall down the canyon. All the while cutting back to the brilliant bone cage escape.

The ending was fine - the sword fight again a gloriously choreographed mix of slapstick and derring do. Johnny's final hero shot as he raises his sword to the kraken was brill. Sparrow on the whole was just as strong this time round as he was in the first, only this time with an even better introduction.

On the whole, it was exciting, well made, never felt slow or overlong... consider me a fan. Can't wait for the third.

B+

Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:57 am
Artie the One-Man Party

BTW, I have no idea what made anyone think the Kraken was original, scary, or entertaining...It's a friggin giant squid, and all we saw was its arms!

Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:13 am
Mod Team Leader

BTW, I have no idea what made anyone think the Kraken was original, scary, or entertaining...It's a friggin giant squid, and all we saw was its arms!

Clash of the Titans did it better.

Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:05 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

the french man wrote:

Totally agree.

Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:23 am
Cream of the Crop

I've decided to change my DMC grade from an A to an A+. CotBP gets an A.

I watched DMC a fourth time, this time at a DLP showing. Then that night, I watched my CotBP DVD on my dad's big-arse widescreen HDTV with surround sound....

And I found that I derived more enjoyment per minute from DMC than I did from CotBP. As I think back on it, I think I went to CotBP so many times in the theater (11) because I was having a bad time at home and so sought a 2.5 hour escape from reality.

DMC is providing that as well, but as I ponder on it, it's more than just an escape... It's a true movie experience through and through, and I really am enjoying it more than CotBP.

Never thought I'd say it, but CotBP is no longer my all-time favorite movie.... DMC is.

Joy

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

This movie was good, but slightly boring. If it wasn't for the fact that I had a double espresso at night, I may have fallen asleep (went to see it at 11pm and was a bit sleepy to begin with). The effects were amazing (minus the squid, it looked mediocro) but davy jones and his crew were amazing.

I hated the threesome with Jack since it made jack less jack.. I also thought that Keira Kinghtly was underused. They shoul've concentrated the story more on her somehow.

I also don't get the ending that much. After all Jack did to them they still want to save him? Will wants to help keira get jack back? Maybe i missed something.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:37 am
Profile WWW
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

This movie was good, but slightly boring. If it wasn't for the fact that I had a double espresso at night, I may have fallen asleep (went to see it at 11pm and was a bit sleepy to begin with). The effects were amazing (minus the squid, it looked mediocro) but davy jones and his crew were amazing.

I hated the threesome with Jack since it made jack less jack.. I also thought that Keira Kinghtly was underused. They shoul've concentrated the story more on her somehow.

I also don't get the ending that much. After all Jack did to them they still want to save him? Will wants to help keira get jack back? Maybe i missed something.

I presume that Jack saved all of them by being on the ship.

Elizabeth and Jack should've had more screentime together. Their chemistry is simply electric.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:08 pm
Cream of the Crop

Jack coming back in the end led to the remaining crew being able to escape unharmed. Therefore, he saved them all...

Plus, the only ones that Jack really did anything to (though my own interpretations are that it was all a part of his bigger plan, which due to Davy's uncooperation and other events, backfired) was Liz and Will. Liz has forgiven him due to his coming back at the last minute, and now she's also feeling guilty; therefore, she wants to save him to get rid of the guilt (yeah, like it'll be that simple... ha).

Will notices Liz's grief, and though he's a bit pissed about her kissing Jack, he's seeing the woman he loves with all his heart hurting. And her hurt, from his perspective, is because he believes she is in love with Jack and is grieving for him for that sole purpose. So, Theory A is: from Will's perspective, he only wants Liz to be happy, even if it ends up being that he has to give her up to another--so he agrees to save Jack in order to either get him back so Liz can be happy. Theory B is (and is more likely): Will is pissed at Jack for both ruining his chances of saving Bootstrap and for what Will thinks is Jack putting the moves on Elizabeth and "compromising her honor", so Will wants the pleasure of killing Jack himself.

So, in the end, I can understand why each of the survivors agrees to go on a quest to save Jack:

Gibbs is Jack's best friend, and so he wants Jack back.
Cotton is a faithful crew member who Jack has never done anything to, and so he wants Jack back.
Pintel and Ragetti are reforming, and my guess is they had time while sailing to Isla Cruces to make amends with Jack, so they want Jack back.
Liz feels guilty, so she wants Jack back.
Will either wants Liz to be happy and he thinks that means getting Jack back, or (more likely) he's pissed at Jack both for ruining his chance at saving Bootstrap and for making the moves on Liz and therefore wants the pleasure of killing Jack himself, so he wants Jack back.

So... that is my interpretation of why they all want to bring Jack back.

Joy

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:43 pm
Profile WWW

baumer72 wrote:
the french man wrote:

Totally agree.

Lets not forget 20000 leagues under the Sea. I actually found Davy Jones to be very good, but about the same as Barbossa. The Kragan was very disappointing. Those were the only shots I found to have weak effects. Will almost falling to his death was an obvious blue screen, or green now whatever it is.

Jack Sparrow was a lot more heartless this time. for being a pirate that is big on principle, he did an awful lot of betrayal and lying this time.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:03 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I read somewhere (RT forums?), and I agree, that one of the reasons I enjoyed DMC less was that Jack had much less purpose in this movie than in Back Pearl. It ties in with Groucho wanting mystery and Thegun wanting payback. We had them both in spades in BP. We find out the story, but only little by little, in well-written quiet moments which served also as breaks from the action. When Will says "You've been planning this from the beginning, as soon as you learned my name" that was the big payback moment for me. Just when Jack's scheme is about to peak, we've caught up and so we can root for him. In DMC, nobody has control of the story, the story has control of them.

DMC SO reminds me of TTT. I really hope PotC 3 wraps up nicely.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next