Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 An Inconvenient Truth 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 14 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 8 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 28

An Inconvenient Truth 
Indiana Jones IV

Yeah I wasn't too crazy about it, I felt like I was in school again with all those damn charts and graphs showing basically the same thing over and over. And if I saw one more shot of Gore playing on his laptop and then gazing pensively out the window I was going to reach through the screen and toss him and his laptop out said window. In an energy-efficient, aware-of-global-warming sorta way of course. Still though it's not a complete bore and Gore does at times make for an engaging speaker when he's not talking about Bedrock (how do the Flintstones factor into this anyway?) and crevasses and whatnot. I was going to give this movie a B- at first but to me anything B- or above is basically a stamp of approval, and unless you're completely in the dark about the basic concepts of global warming or are creepily obsessed with Al Gore or PowerPoint presentations, there's really no reason. Unfortunately there is just nothing all that groundbreaking or thought-provoking revealed here, and it's not all that entertaining or interesting on its own to really warrant a viewing. So C+ it is.

Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I was impressed. Al Gore was a charming, steadfast guide and his lecture/animated presentation was compelling, informative, and, most of the time, terrifying. I certainly left knowing more about global warming than I did before, which is, perhaps, the best compliment I can pay the film. Once again, I was impressed - it's an important and entertaining documentary! A-.

Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:08 pm
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

As a film, it was underwhelming. Too much autobiographical information. B- from me.

The message is ever so poignant, however. By now I have scarcely more respect for people that deny global warming (which are a slap in the face for real conservatives like me) than flat earth believers. In classic human tradition, the same people will be bewildered decades from now.

Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:57 pm
Some days I'm a super bitch

Well, when they said it was based on his presentation, I didn't actually expect it to be a 90 minute slide-show lol. Still, I enjoyed it. I knew better than to expect an interview-heavy, sensationalistic Michael Moore-style documentary, but I was still shocked at how intimate Al Gore was with the audience. He sticks to the facts, throws in a few personal anecdotes, and ultimately manages to convey the message clearly and cohesively without a lot of bells and whistles.

Also, being (mostly) a politically motivated message, I was happy it didn't come across as overly righteous or indignant.

A-

Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

He is saying if we don't stop global warming the ice caps will melt and kill millions of people?

Like... it will happen suddenly?

What a crock of shit.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:13 am
Extraordinary

So let me get this straight...

He is saying if we don't stop global warming the ice caps will melt and kill millions of people?

What a crock of shit.

So you've seen the documentary and disagree with the science?

Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:23 am

So let me get this straight...

What a crock of shit.

Well, considering over 50% of the American population believes the "jury's still out" on global warming, he's at least trying to convince them that's not the case.

Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:11 pm
Profile WWW
Grill

I love you BKB! I will not be wasting my time with this movie.

Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:26 pm

After watching those clips from the 2000 election, did anyone else notice how terribly Bush has aged since?

Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:43 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Unless you got extra atmosphere lying around...

Sure, we can slow it down... but it's already begun. And Mr. Gore isn't doing anything to "stop" it... he's gotta get around...

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:45 am

After watching those clips from the 2000 election, did anyone else notice how terribly Bush has aged since?

I wonder why.

Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:45 am
Teenage Dream

The message is clear, concise, and poignant (and there's some clever bits that elevate the otherwise drab and dull material), but it's really a piss poor example of a documentary in terms of quality of production and the skill level involved in creating it. I felt like I was in eight grade science class all over again. There's really never a moment that truly hooked me into the picture and made me feel it, the way a great documentary is supposed to do. Yeah, it's pretty interesting stuff and all that, but it's delivered in such a manner that makes it a true task to sit through.

On an unrelated note, I was also reminded why I don't like seeing political documentary's in theaters. The crowd is filled with the kinds of people that wear the shirt of the band they're going to see in concert. Hey, we all know what your political beliefs are (otherwise you wouldn't be seeing this movie), so we don't need them confirmed every fifteen minutes with a "yeah!", "right on!", or half-hearted attempt at applause.

C

Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:30 am

On an unrelated note, I was also reminded why I don't like seeing political documentary's in theaters. The crowd is filled with the kinds of people that wear the shirt of the band they're going to see in concert. Hey, we all know what your political beliefs are (otherwise you wouldn't be seeing this movie), so we don't need them confirmed every fifteen minutes with a "yeah!", "right on!", or half-hearted attempt at applause.

But those people are awesome! Just like the Jack Sparrows at my DMC midnight showing, except less funny. :lol:

Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:34 am
Indiana Jones IV

The movie was a very good, fascinating documentary. Al Gore was an interesting, lively, and charming guide taking us on a journey through the dangers of global warming. Several scenes in the movie were really sad and quite terrifying. I know quite a bit more about global warming than I once did, which is a definite compliment to the film. Overall, it was a very entertaining, timely, and important documentary that, I feel, EVERYONE should see (liberals and conservatives alike).

A-

Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:45 am
Forum General

This is a fascinating film, and probably THE film that everyone should see. It's incredibly
important. I didn't mind when the film cut to Gore's past, because it had a point. This
situation has and will effect his life, just like all of us. This film is based on pure fact, unlike
some/all of Moore's "documentaries". The movie was even better because the audience I saw
it with today (unbelievable around 30 people at a 12:40pm showing, which is a ton for this
area) was mature and open-minded, and as intrigued as I.

I would put down and curse out anyone who hates this movie, for whatever reason be it
political, personal, or whatever, but it would not achieve anything important. Instead, I
encourage those people to reconsider the implications of the facts presented in the film. It
really is important that we all realize this is a sincere movie. We need to accept that this
crisis is real, and even though it isn't easy, if we all make the effort to help prevent this
situation from getting worse, we can ensure that this and future generations will not suffer
from our and our past generations short-sightedness.

I encourage anyone and everyone to make an effort to see this film, the sooner the better.

Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:21 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Every President does -- seriously. Look at Carter in four years; even Clinton went gray.

Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:50 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

You can't STOP global warming...

Sure, we can slow it down... but it's already begun. And Mr. Gore isn't doing anything to "stop" it... he's gotta get around...

What a stupid comment. He's doing more than YOU are, and in fact, he's doing more than 99.99% of the people on the planet are, by working and lobbying to get people to talk about the issue and do something about it.

Exactly what have YOU done about it and why I haven't I heard about it?

Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:52 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

ChipMunky wrote:
You can't STOP global warming...

What a stupid comment. He's doing more than YOU are, and in fact, he's doing more than 99.99% of the people on the planet are, by working and lobbying to get people to talk about the issue and do something about it.

Exactly what have YOU done about it and why I haven't I heard about it?

You practically read my mind as to what I thought about saying but didn't in my previous
post. :lol:

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:20 am
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

I noticed that too, distinctly! Presidency must age one much more quickly than normal.

Anyhow, I thought the movie was great. It was very well constructed, well directed and a very good combination of personal experience and science. The end credits were excellent, too (you know what I'm saying if you saw it). Al Gore has something about his voice and his fluency, not to mention his understanding, both intellectually and emotionally. He was convincing and connected me to the film. Instead of feeling like one of my own personal boring University lectures, Gore emotionally drew me in. It was poignant. I could understand his frustration and what he was trying to say. Perhaps one of the major downsides was that there were a lot of graphs, but it's hard to present information in any other way (that is visually engaging).

Oh, and the ending was pitch perfect. It made the issue feel global. He extrapolated global warming to other events humankind has had to get through, and it was the perfect message in my opinion. And he wasn't preachy, he was simply logical.

B+

PEACE, Mike.

Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:45 am
Devil's Advocate

The message and facts presented in the movie are devestating really, it's scary stuff. Some of the charts and graphics like the line graph that goes up to the roof, the flooding thing, the icecaps messing up the wind system, all are just "wow" moments. However, the movie is basically a slideshow on tape, filled in by Gore's personal life which felt completley forced in, to waste more time and keep the audience entertained. As a message and telling of doomsday, it's fantastic. As a movie, nah. Also, it slows down a bit at the 3/4s range, and I didn't like how the ending, instead of "America! Hurrah!", it should've place more fear in the audience's heart, telling them that this is happening and he have to stop it. Instead it kind of seemed like America was going to fix this problem, making it seem less urgent and frightening. Highly recommended watch to everyone though, people have to see this.

By the way, I got to see this with my entire school, and I was reminded about how much I hate all the youth around me. :smile: I heard a bit too many "I fell asleep", "Uh that was so boring!", and yes a few "Too complicated!"s for my taste. Too complicated? Fuck you. And I live in Jasper AB, which is very much smarter on average than most of America, I'd think. Nobody cared any attention or even got was what on the screen... I didn't hear a single person.

Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:41 pm
Teh Mexican

I really dont like documentaries that much but this one was really really great. eh! I learned a lot more about the subjet now that i saw this. Fantastic job by Al Gore with the graphics and facts, the guy was VERY convincing.

A-

Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:36 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Both stunning an scary in equal measure this Al Gore fronted lecture is a timely reminder of the real threat that we face with Global Warming.

Some of the Gore-centric bits are a tad egoistic but everything else is stunningly presented and as for Gore.............well if he displayed this much life in 2000 he would have won by a landslide.

Its very sad the global warming issue has been reduced to a partisan issue becuase this film deserves to be seen by all

A

Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:39 am

Its very sad the global warming issue has been reduced to a partisan issue becuase this film deserves to be seen by all

Indeed. It's a tad saddening (for our species) when self-proclaimed "conservatives" discount climate change based on politics alone. These same folks often know shiet about science.

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:08 pm
Extraordinary

Excellent presentation with persuasive facts, and Gore is charming. Very happy such a documentary is made. On the weak side, while I understand they don't want to just show one big Gore presentation, I do feel some of those diversions, such as showing 2000 election again, are not necessary. Similarly, I like a lot of the jokes, but not all fit into the topic at hand. Since the issue is presented in a straight-forward, scientific way and should be something everybody gets involved with, I'd have included less of the politically charged stuff.

B+

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:16 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Excellent presentation with persuasive facts, and Gore is charming. Very happy such a documentary is made. On the weak side, while I understand they don't want to just show one big Gore presentation, I do feel some of those diversions, such as showing 2000 election again, are not necessary. Similarly, I like a lot of the jokes, but not all fit into the topic at hand. Since the issue is presented in a straight-forward, scientific way and should be something everybody gets involved with, I'd have included less of the politically charged stuff.

B+

Do you really believe this movie would be an objectively better portrayal of the human impact on Earth if it were to be depersonalized?

Just askin'...

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next