Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 The Da Vinci Code 

What grade would you give this film?
A 18%  18%  [ 14 ]
B 39%  39%  [ 30 ]
C 24%  24%  [ 18 ]
D 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
F 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 76

The Da Vinci Code 
College Boy Z

Post The Da Vinci Code
The Da Vinci Code

Quote:
The Da Vinci Code is a 2006 American mystery thriller film directed by Ron Howard. The screenplay was written by Akiva Goldsman and based on Dan Brown's worldwide bestselling 2003 novel, The Da Vinci Code. It was produced by Howard with John Calley and Brian Grazer and released by Columbia Pictures in the United States on May 19, 2006.

The Da Vinci Code stars Tom Hanks as Harvard University symbologist Robert Langdon, Audrey Tautou as cryptographer Sophie Neveu of the Direction Centrale de la Police Judiciaire of France, Sir Ian McKellen as British Grail historian Sir Leigh Teabing, Alfred Molina as Bishop Manuel Aringarosa, Jean Reno as Capitaine Bezu Fache of the Direction Centrale de la Police Judiciaire, and Paul Bettany as the Opus Dei monk Silas.

The Da Vinci Code was previewed at the opening night of the 2006 Cannes Film Festival on May 17, 2006. The Da Vinci Code then entered major release in many other countries on May 18, 2006 and was released in the United States by Columbia Pictures on May 19, 2006.

The film, like Dan Brown's book, was harshly criticized by the Roman Catholic Church. Some church members urged the laity to boycott the film. Many of the early showings were protested and early critical reviews were decidedly negative. Arguably, however, these reactions had little negative impact on the film's box office numbers; The Da Vinci Code earned in excess of $230 million worldwide in its opening weekend, which, at the time, was the third most profitable opening weekend in film history. It is currently ranked as the seventh biggest opening. It was the second highest grossing film of 2006 worldwide, earning $758,239,851 as of November 2, 2006. At the time, director Ron Howard and star Tom Hanks had collaborated on two previous films, 1984's Splash and 1995's Apollo 13. They have since collaborated on The Da Vinci Code's prequel, Angels & Demons, and they are expected to collaborate on a film adaptation on the third book of Dan Brown's Robert Langdon trilogy, The Lost Symbol. The Da Vinci Code is their most successful collaboration, not adjusted for inflation.

The film's soundtrack was composed by Hans Zimmer. It was nominated for the 2007 Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score.

Last edited by zingy on Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 17, 2006 9:04 pm
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Thu May 18, 2006 9:50 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu May 18, 2006 10:18 pm
Mod Team Leader

Thu May 18, 2006 10:24 pm
Profile WWW
htm

Jesus people. Post reviews, not showtimes.

:nonono:

Thu May 18, 2006 10:29 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

Oh My God! They fucked up bad. It would be very confusing for people who haven't read the book as the film's exposition is all over the place. Audrey Tautou, who has the most pivotal rolein the film, is completely wooden.

However, it is a very intelligent thriller nevertheless.

Fri May 19, 2006 12:44 am
Lover of Bacon

I had issues with the pacing and the constant flashbacks that were completely unnecessary, but overall it was much better than the reviews had left me thinking it would be. I think Hanks may have been mis-cast and never really showed any emotion, but Ian McKellen was fantastic and played the role of Teabing for everything it was worth (but he did have the juciest role by far to work with). A very faithful adaption of the book that could have done with a little more excitement, but still fun, and that's pretty much all i hoped for.

B-

Fri May 19, 2006 11:33 am
No Wire Tampons!

Review will be up at Ilovelamp soon. What I will say is that I feel people who didn't read the book will have a hard time comprehending whats going on. In the first half it definately jumps around too much for you to be able to engage, But when it finally starts sticking to Tom and Audrey almost exclusively, and getting to the core of the religious conspiracy, everything improves. Certainly the first half is not entirely thrilling, but the second half is much better all round and even though some scenes are very much wasted opportunities (A lot of the stuff in London is gone) I feel like

Pros: Exciting, Engaging and Interesting with great performances from Audrey Tautou and Ian Mckellen. Paul Bettany is scary in this movie. SCARY

Cons: First half is too disjointed and Tom Hanks isn't exactly amazing in it, but hes not "bad" either. Generally I feel if i made the movie myself I could do better considering the source material. But some scenes are handled very well by Howard. Especially the stuff that critics allegedly laughed at.

My friend gave it a B-

Fri May 19, 2006 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
No Wire Tampons!

Im assuming HappyPhantom, RB652, tina_als_girl have all seen this movie and just decided not to comment on their C and F grades.

Fri May 19, 2006 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I'll see it....when it airs on TNT in 4-5 years.

:biggrin:

Fri May 19, 2006 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Im assuming HappyPhantom, RB652, tina_als_girl have all seen this movie and just decided not to comment on their C and F grades.

Nobody has given it an F.

Fri May 19, 2006 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Felicity Titwank wrote:

Nobody has given it an F.

I swear, I think the "I don't plan on seeing this film" option is like, invisible for some people.

Fri May 19, 2006 1:05 pm
Extraordinary

Fri May 19, 2006 1:43 pm
Golfaholic

It wasn't that bad.

Now that sounds euphoric... :tongue:

We've come a long way from "This will be a masterpiece" to wasn't that bad. Expectations have really lowered all around. At the moment I have no interest watching it anymore

Fri May 19, 2006 1:47 pm
No Wire Tampons!

Dolce didn't like the book though, did you Dolce? So her expectations were, already lowered.

Fri May 19, 2006 1:57 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

It wasn't that bad.

They should use this quote in the newspaper ads.

Fri May 19, 2006 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

dolcevita wrote:
It wasn't that bad.

They should use this quote in the newspaper ads.

Actually, I got interviewed by CBS news while leaving the theatre. *Guess I shouldn't have skipped work today*

And yes, as Felicity said, I really disliked the book. I have no affinity to its nuances, and considered the movie a step up, even though it suffered from some of Howard's usual monotone pacing an unstructured ending. I enjoyed quite a bit of it, didn't take it too seriously, and managed to finsih it, unlike its paginated predesessor.

Full review to come...

Fri May 19, 2006 2:04 pm
No Wire Tampons!

Another trademark, rambling, unstructured and poorly written review brought to you by tits magee is up at Ilovelamp.
My Review

The translation of The Da Vinci Code from book to novel has generated a better film than similar pictures like National Treasure. Hardly groundbreaking, but definitely entertaining and, at times, thrilling. The few problems generally sprout from the first half of the film spending too much time on a compacted buildup that didn't feel quite like a buildup should have. I wont lie, I felt myself sometimes as though, if given the reigns to the project, I could have created a better film myself, just by changing a few scenes and sequences. But once the film hits its core story , it becomes a truly gripping blockbuster and everything you'd want from a conspiracy story with a big budget.

Fri May 19, 2006 2:13 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

"This will be a masterpiece" then, "This is a masterpiece," now.

Seriously, I've been incredibly disorganized this year, but I can't think of a better film offhand.

If you disliked the book because of its content, skip the film. If you liked the book, or disliked it because the author cannot write, there's no reason not to like the movie. It takes everything good about the book (a generally very interesting plot) and brings it to the screen beautifully.

Srsly, really great.

Edit - to clarify, I do NOT think this is really a "masterpiece". But it is really good.

Fri May 19, 2006 3:54 pm
Extraordinary

If you disliked the book because of its content, skip the film. If you liked the book, or disliked it because the author cannot write, there's no reason not to like the movie. It takes everything good about the book (a generally very interesting plot) and brings it to the screen beautifully.

Exactly. I think it did fine considering what it had to work with. Now I'm part of a third group you forgot though. I respect what the movie did given the source material it was adapting, but I found neither all that inspirational. I don't know what people were expecting going into this movie...especially since everyone read the book. Dan Brown must have pulled the cover over people's eyes in a way Ron Howard couldn't. Imo, they're pretty similar, so I don't know why one is revered and the other disdained.

Eh, it was missing some of the emotional energy and rougher cheer-along parts that could have breathed extra enthusiasm into the crowd (typical of Howard style) but it was what it was.

Fri May 19, 2006 4:53 pm
Extraordinary

Didn't I just go and love The Da Vinci Code...

Wow! It was super thought-provoking and mega entertaining. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I'm a believer.

All hail, Pope Dan Brown I of the New Order. Give thanks to Saint Howard. Praise, Mother Mary.

Honestly, I had prayed that I would despise this so-called work of popular entertainment. I ignored it with all my might. I did not partake of the novel, I shunned all spoilers. But, the holy sacrement of movie-viewing was too much to ask of me to renounce. And, wouldn't you know it, it turns out I'm a follower of non-following. A sheep disavowing the shepard.

Truly, I hoped to be one of the flock of naysayers. I wanted to fit into the mainstream of taste just this once. But, no. It is clearly not my destiny. I must walk amongst the pagan tribe once more.

As to the mere mechanics of it --- Ron Howard has crafted his masterpiece; beyond Apollo 13, it is magnificent. The casting is superb. Like the recent Poseidon, the casting depends on echoes of the past and Hollywood shorthand. Think of Jean Reno in Léon, remember Audrey Tautou as Amélie, Tom Hanks as, well, Tom Hanks, and finally, Ian McKellen as the father of Frankenstein. Then, add the historical settings - the provènance (as they call it on the Antiques Roadshow). What do ya got? A witch's brew of cinematic magic! This is a masterpiece of pop-culture -- err... I guess I should say, mom-culture!

7 out of 5.

Fri May 19, 2006 4:55 pm
All Star Poster

So Galia said it wasn't that bad and Bradley Loves it... Meaning that I will most likely like it as well.

Let's see how much this bradley streak can continue for (seriously its scary)... (I hope that you are not being sarcastic :P Bc if you are, my enjoyment still correlates to your sarcasm :) :P)

Fri May 19, 2006 4:59 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Wow! It was super thought-provoking and mega entertaining. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I'm a believer...

7 out of 5.

Whoa. I wouldn't go that far. :biggrin:

Fri May 19, 2006 5:08 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

In the end this is the only thing truly wrong with this movie. I went in expecting a complete cinematic debacle but what i got was a workmanlike effort from Howard/Hanks and co that when the sludgelike pace allowed showed some moments of enjoyment.

The main problem this movie ran into was the thing that made the book such a page turner, that of melding large amounts of exposition with forever changing cliffhangers. In the book this was something that could be quite easily acheived however on screen it was always going to be a thankless task as exposition is a very tricky thing to deliver on screen while maintaining a bit of momentum to the story. Howard could have done with further pruning of the story to achieve this, it may have annoyed people who loved the book in it's entireity but it would have helped cinemagoers digestion of the film.

There a plenty of good moments like Langdons initial chasing of the clues in the Louvre and the hunt for the grail in London but then there's the overlong section in Teabing's house explaining what the grail is and the interludes with Silas which work well on the page but seem poorly transfered to screen. The movie keeps a lot of the Books feminine/pagan mumbo jumbo when it could easily have been cut down without any loss to the story.

Don't get me wrong this isn't an awful movie rather a flawed but sparodically enjoyable one. It isn't half as bad as the critic's suggest and if your a fan of the book you'll be reasonably satisfied. But if your a Da Vinci virgin this may leave you feeling a bit cold.

B- bordering on a C

Fri May 19, 2006 5:10 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I hated the book, but I kinda liked this. I'd give it a B-ish. It's awfully flat at the beginning and at the end, but it was nevertheless pretty entertaining.

I think the overwhlemingly bad reviews are a way for the movie critics to slap around the book, albeit a few years late.

Fri May 19, 2006 6:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next