Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Resident Evil: Extinction 

What grade would you give this film?
A 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
B 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
C 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 14

Post Resident Evil: Extinction

Quote:
Resident Evil: Extinction is a 2007 science fiction action horror film also categorized as a doomsday and zombie film, and is the third installment in the series of film adaptations based on the Capcom survival horror series Resident Evil. The film follows the heroine Alice, along with a group of survivors from Raccoon City, as they attempt to travel across the Mojave desert wilderness to Alaska and escape a zombie apocalypse. The film was directed by Russell Mulcahy and produced by Paul W.S. Anderson.

The film was released in the United States on September 21, 2007 and was commercially successful, grossing $147,717,833 worldwide. However, it received many negative reviews from critics. The film was released on DVD and Blu-ray in North America on January 1, 2008.

Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:27 am
Profile WWW
Site Owner

Post Re: Resident Evil: Extinction
Site Review: http://www.worldofkj.com/articleIndex.php?tid=30852

Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:58 pm
Profile WWW
problem?

Easily the best of the series. The action and gore was awesome, and I actually liked the story, unlike Apocalypse. Sadly, the very, very, VERY last minute of it was crappy, I thought. But the crappy last minute doesn't spoil the killer 95 or so that came before it. It was an action spectacle from beginning to end, and I really wanna go see it again.

ImageImageImageImageImage out of Image

Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:53 pm
Forum General

Totally shitty movie. I thought it was boring and the story was way over the top. Fuck she gets all these weird powers like controlling fire and shit. I personally didn't even like Alice in this movie. I was impressed by Ali Later as Claire Redfield.

Hated the movie.

Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:25 pm
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

I really like the first one.. and I really hate the sequel..

it'd be good if you guys could tell us your thoughts of the first part and the second part.. along with your comments

Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:13 am
problem?

I love, love, love the first one. I watched it earlier today (along with Apoc then I went to see Extinction) and RE1 seriously gets better and better with every single viewing. And it has the coolest movie ending ever. EVAH I SAY!!

Apocalypse is alright. I'd grade it a C, maybe a C+. I think it gets too silly and there's never really any attempt at scenes to scare you, not even out-of-nowhere-comes-something-with-loud-music that The Grudge made so famous type jump-scares. RE1 works as a thriller, RE2 is pure action and it is fun to watch, at least. But I wish they hadn't used any characters from the games. Jill, Carlos and Nemesis. Maybe they could've worked Nemesis in somehow, but that's it. They're nothing like their game characters. Jill becomes a raving, arrogant stuck-up slightly British bitch, and Carlos is just annoying. I wish Apoc had had an original plot like RE1, not a loose adaptation of one of the games.

That's why I like Extinction. It has an original plot not seen in any of the games, and actually incorporates one of the game characters, Claire Redfield, very well. She's just like the character was in the games (Claire appeared in two games in the series), she has the soul and heart of the character. It's really her on the big screen unlike Jill, which like I said was absolutely nothing like the game character besides looking just like her. Extinction has the best action in the series and a pretty good story. It's a much better attempt than Apocalypse was.

Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:32 am
College Boy Z

Having watched all three Resident Evil films today, I'd rank Extinction as second in the series. It can't match the original at all, which is just a fuckin' awesome flick. Apocalypse is good as a straight action flick, but I found it to be more stupid than back in '04. Extinction basically takes (and improves upon) the action from Apocalypse, and isn't as cheesy in the process (no, Alice does not make friends with the giant monster in the trailer this time). I still prefer if this series stuck to horror with action elements instead of action with horror elements, but oh well. Extinction's pretty kick ass, I had a good time.

A-

Resident Evil - A
Apocalypse - B+
Extinction - A-

Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:19 am
ef star star kay

sounds good

Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:59 pm

I never saw the first two, but I really enjoyed this one, Korrgan is right the lat minute should have been cut, but before that it was complete action and most importantly fun and entertaining.

First time I have been to the movies in a month.

Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:03 pm
problem?

I saw it again today with some friendz. I liked it even more the second time around. It's a lot like RE1 which keeps getting better and better with every viewing, unlike Apoc which gets a little worse every time I see it. So yayz!

Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:55 pm
Extraordinary

C

It's really aimless for the first 45 minutes, with nothing much of note happening. Once the caravan gets to Las Vegas things heat up... just in time to slow down again for the 'big finale,' which was okay I guess. The Tyrant was pretty nifty, though the laser beam thing has been done too many times, and I'm not just talking about this series. The ending is pretty abysmal, stupid, and goes against something the little girl says to Alice no more than five minutes before the credits.

P.S. - Why was Dr. Isaacs sending Alice through the tests, other than to recreate set-pieces from the first film? If you need her dead, just shoot the bitch and be done with it.

P.P.S. - Does it feel like we skipped ahead one film? Not only is the world overrun by zombies, but the Earth is now a barren wasteland.

Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:17 pm
problem?

The Dark Shape wrote:

P.S. - Why was Dr. Isaacs sending Alice through the tests, other than to recreate set-pieces from the first film? If you need her dead, just shoot the bitch and be done with it.

If a clone managed to complete the test, she'd be the closest thing to the real Alice they have for the serum. Obviously one never can, as they've tried over 80 times, so they go after the real Alice. I thought it seemed pretty straight-forward that that was what was going on.

Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:36 pm
Extraordinary

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard story-wise. Her blood would be the same whether she finished the tests or not.

Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:21 pm
problem?

I dunno, I take it as the clones were "wrong" if they couldn't complete it, hence why their blood wouldn't work. Really, I don't care.

Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:59 pm
Forum General

Korrgan wrote:
I dunno, I take it as the clones were "wrong" if they couldn't complete it, hence why their blood wouldn't work. Really, I don't care.

That is shit script writing.

Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:39 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Personally I think RE4 as we know from RE3 ending should be set in Japan and directed by Paul Ws Anderson.

I also feel that RE1 was the best, most suspenseful and had thriller entertainment in it.

RE2 was absolutely ridicolous because they were trying to be like the videogame.

RE3 was also shit.

Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Top Poster

C+, despite a creepy atmosphere and haunting sets, the film drags too long with too little action and too much deja vu.

Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I've seen the first and thought it was shit and completely throwaway. I really just dont get Milla being the main character and not one of the game characters. But I think I gave that a C-. Never saw the 2nd, but was bored and caught this one today.

But this was a complete jump in quality I have to say. Have no idea why she had powers, but I was entertained throughout. The action wasn't that amazing though, just what I would expect. Yes it was kind of pointless and anticlimatic, and of course the over played "Someone is bit and never tells anyone" seen countless times, but Russell is a much better director than Anderson and it shows, there are some decent thrills throughout, and I enjoyed it.

B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:10 pm
Superman: The Movie

The good news is that each film in the series is getting better than the last. The bad news is, that doesn't mean much. The first movie was dumb as hell and funny. The second had a couple of good action scenes but nothing more. And here, the film is at times interesting to look at, but kind of boring. In places it's suspenseful, and I'll admit I jumped a couple of times, but it's kind of flat. And talk about the missed opportunities in Vegas. You have an entire lost city to explore that we all know, and all we get is a giant crate full of zombies? And it's not like the scene itself was great or anything. It kind of felt like a by the numbers zombie shootout. There are only a certain number of times where you can blow out the back of a zombie's head, or slice it's entire throat (Without the head falling off), before it gets kind of stale. Maybe it was because of budgetary constraints or something, but I still felt kind of cheated. As for the ending, it was somewhat suspenseful, but also kind of flat out stupid. The last shot of the film made me laugh, and I don't think that's the note they wanted to go out on.

That saying, I liked some of the visuals, I enjoyed a couple of the action scenes, and I jumped a couple of times. This is the best Resident Evil yet, but as I said, that's not saying much. The whole thing felt like a missed opportunity.

C

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:52 pm
Profile WWW

Jmart007 wrote:
The good news is that each film in the series is getting better than the last. The bad news is, that doesn't mean much. The first movie was dumb as hell and funny. The second had a couple of good action scenes but nothing more. And here, the film is at times interesting to look at, but kind of boring. In places it's suspenseful, and I'll admit I jumped a couple of times, but it's kind of flat. And talk about the missed opportunities in Vegas. You have an entire lost city to explore that we all know, and all we get is a giant crate full of zombies? And it's not like the scene itself was great or anything. It kind of felt like a by the numbers zombie shootout. There are only a certain number of times where you can blow out the back of a zombie's head, or slice it's entire throat (Without the head falling off), before it gets kind of stale. Maybe it was because of budgetary constraints or something, but I still felt kind of cheated. As for the ending, it was somewhat suspenseful, but also kind of flat out stupid. The last shot of the film made me laugh, and I don't think that's the note they wanted to go out on.

That saying, I liked some of the visuals, I enjoyed a couple of the action scenes, and I jumped a couple of times. This is the best Resident Evil yet, but as I said, that's not saying much. The whole thing felt like a missed opportunity.

C

That was dumb, seriously that was a neverending crate of zombies. I'm lowering my grade to a B as I dont think it will hold up well.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:20 pm
Orphan

I liked it. Nice musical score, action, and fun. Far better than number 2 and I actually liked it better than the original.

Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:59 pm
problem?

For ze record:

Biohazard - A
Biohazard: Apocalypse - C+
Biohazard: Extinction - A-

Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:45 pm
Where will you be?

Korrgan wrote:
For ze record:

Biohazard - A

Who calls Resident Evil Biohazard and why?

Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:53 am
problem?

MovieDude wrote:
Korrgan wrote:
For ze record:

Biohazard - A

That's the name of the game series in Japan and other countries. They had to rename it Resident Evil in the States and Europe because the name Biohazard was already copyrighted in America by a band. The movies and games are released as Biohazard in Japan, China and most of Asia.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:26 pm

Korrgan wrote:
MovieDude wrote:
Korrgan wrote:
For ze record:

Biohazard - A

That's the name of the game series in Japan and other countries. They had to rename it Resident Evil in the States and Europe because the name Biohazard was already copyrighted in America by a band. The movies and games are released as Biohazard in Japan, China and most of Asia.

Didnt Resident Evil start in the states first when it was released in 94, and why would it even matter if its a different form of entertainment all together?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next