Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines 

What grade would you give this film?
A 39%  39%  [ 12 ]
B 45%  45%  [ 14 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 31

College Boy Z

Post Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

Quote:
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, commonly abbreviated as T3, is a 2003 science fiction action film directed by Jonathan Mostow and starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Nick Stahl, Claire Danes and Kristanna Loken. It is the second sequel to The Terminator (1984).

After the failure of Skynet to kill Sarah Connor before her son is born and to kill John himself as a child, it sends back another Terminator, the T-X, in a last attempt to wipe out as many Resistance officers as possible, since Connor himself cannot be traced. This includes John's future wife, but not John himself as his whereabouts are unknown to Skynet. Yet, as the story unfolds, the T-X coincidentally finds the Resistance leader-to-be.

Not even in the same league as T2, but quite good and entertaining.

A-

Last edited by zingy on Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:25 pm
Speed Racer

A decent movie, but doesn't come anywhere close the first two.

I'm the man.

Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:47 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

C-

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:38 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

its decent!!

B

Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:26 pm
Hot Fuss

I like the Governator, so it twas all good. A decent action flick.

Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW
We had our time together

They shouldn't have made this movie. As an action film it's great, as an Terminator film it failed. C+

Last edited by Riggs on Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:06 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Not as good as the second one, but on par with the original. B+

Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:40 pm
The Original

Very good action movie but is very good enough when you think of the two first ones???????

I would give 7/10. It was fun had very good SFX and some cool action.

Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:15 pm
now we know

Where do i start? Not good. below average, nothing spectacular. I have enjoyed it more since its been on TV, but that doesnt take away my hatrid for it at the cinema. I could go on alot more about whats wrogn with it, but theres no point.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:57 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Of course it's not as good as the first two. After re-watching it I thought it was much better. I was able to get past the disappointment of completely changing the future (or is it impossible to change, only delay?) and just enjoy the movie the second time. My grade: B.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I was really really disappointed upon the first viewing. It was one of my most anticipated movies ever and it fell so flat in comparison to the both predecessors. That goes on to show that James Cameron is an acion cinema genious. Since then I have seen the movie for another 3-4 times and my opinion of it actually improved somewhat. As a Terminator movie, it is really not a very good one, but as a piece of action cinema it is great. Thanks to the rather short running time it becomes very rewatchable and it doesn't drag for a second. I also admired its audacity to end in such a cruel way with no compromises. Very powerful ending.

Arnie does his usual good T-800 impresdsion, but he doesn't bring anything new to the role. Nick Stahl is decent as John Connor, whereas Claire Danes is rather wasted as his girlfriend and future wife. The action is very well-made throughout and while I don't think that the car chase comes anywhere close to the one in The Matrix Reloaded, it is still very wel-done and filmed. The visual effects are simply amazing, but they didn't have such a "wow"-effect on me as the effects in T2 did. They were good, but not unique.

My main girpe with this movie was the villain. TX simply wasn't as menacing as Robert Patrick's T-1000. I spent a lot of time wondering why the machines would send back an inferior cyborg than they did in the last movie. I mean, by all means, TX might have advanced weaponry and all, but it certainly was easier to destroy as well and that part simply bothers me each time I see the movie. Why sending back an inferior model than last time? Of course, Kristanna Loken doesn't leave such a menacing and cold impression as Robert Patrick either.

Overall, a good movie on its own, but a rather poor entry in the Terminator series.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

What is most striking for me is, despite the movie having the highest production budget ever approved pre-filming, just how low-rent and generic it feels. Serious miscalculation. Not exciting, not fun, not thrillng. I did enjoy the last 5 minutes or so, although it seems to negate the entire point of the second movie. It would have been much better had everyone involved decided to choose integrity over greed. They had no story to tell.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:16 pm
Devil's Advocate

Fun. As said before, for Terminater its not so great, but as a standard action ride its thrilling.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:25 pm
Extraordinary

Post T3: The Franchise Lives!
Now, call me old fashioned, but I still like a little sweet talkin' before F/X...

I really like time travel movies, and I guess I was hoping for a bit more brain-teasing before the terminating, but dang, if this old gal doesn't get the job done. It looks like the Terminator, it sounds like the Terminator - it's got Arnie and Claire Danes for gawds sakes! It's got that great hardcore sci-fi vibe.

The Terminator lives! Ladies and gentlemen, we've got a new classic sci-fi action movie on our hands here... the time to celebrate is now... T3 is the real thing.

And even better - it certainly qualifies as a camp classic -- the humor was certainly on par or better than the previous entries in this series. Who can resist Arnold in full Terminator-mode uttering lines like, "Don't Do Dat"? But otherwise the time travel storyline was logically extended by the writers of T3 and the sci-fi and action aspects were done up right. Plus, having a female Terminator/Terminatrix made for a nice change of scenery. Also, Nick Stahl and Claire Danes are quality actors who will serve the franchise well in it's future incarnations and play it just right in T3 (check out Stahl in the opening flashback scene of the movie...).

I would rate it a must-see for anyone who counts themselves among one or more of the following groups:

- Camp comedy fans
- Action fans
- Sci-fi fans
- Schwarzenegger fans
- Time travel fans
- Dystopia fans
- Luddites

It's easily the equal of the two other great entries in this series - perhaps only equalled by the Alien franchise in consistency of quality.

Bring on T4!!!

5 out of 5.

Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:29 am
On autopilot for the summer

I'll say it before, its more like the story of the original film, but made on the epic and special effects side of T2. It takes the best parts of all the films, and uses them to their full potential. Arnold is on Top form and is by far his most entertaining film since True Lies IMO. Great film to go out on and is the only Action star of the 80s and 90s not to go DTV. And one has to not how great he looked, he really beefed himself up well and looked younger than he has in years.

Solid film and was a perfect end of a trilogy, for a film that everyone thought would fail, it flew past everyone.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:45 pm
I'm Batman

Nowhere near the quality of the first two, but still a decent edition to the franchise. Without Cameron you knew it wasn't going to be as good as it's predecessors but it still has some great action scenes and with Arnie as the Terminator you can't go wrong.

-B+

Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:15 pm
Extraordinary

I also admired its audacity to end in such a cruel way with no compromises. Very powerful ending.

I agree...

Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:31 pm
No Wire Tampons!

I think people have placed T2 and T1 in particular on a pedastal. They are good action movies, not brilliant ones. For their time sure they were technical revolutions and T2 is highly entertaining on many levels, but at the same time - BAD acting, BAD dialogue and various other very weak and transparent elements made T2 entertaining. Some of those elements had been smoothed over for T3, and thats what was missing for some people. T3 was a polished presentation of the series. Wheras T2 and T1 were more character driven, funnily.

T3 is my favourite. I Loved Loken as the TX and whilst Nick Stahl is annoying, Arnie v the T.X was more than enough to make up for it all

A-

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:02 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Probably the weakest of the series, but it's still a lot of fun with a brilliant ending.

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:25 pm
All Star Poster

not as good as the classic known as Judgment Day, but still a an awsome film

This is one of my Favorite franchises

The Terminator - A

Judgment Day - A+ the 5th best film of all time IMO

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines - A-

Last edited by DIB2 on Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:01 am
Motherfuckin' sexual

This movie owns beyond belief. Arnold is not only a fine actor/producer, but a fantastic Governor of Cali.

A+

Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:29 am
Profile YIM WWW
loyalfromlondon

It's a lot of fun, but it really adds nothing new to the series and doesn't really have any purpose for being made other than money. The action scenes are flashy but not really exciting, and the film doesn't have a lot of exposition before it begins. It gradually picks up, mostly due to the better-than-expected story, and the ending is pretty brilliant. Arnie is Arnie, and Nick Stahl is a much better John Connor than Edward Furlong, but Claire Danes is weak and nobody else stands out. It's not really anything special, but I've seen worse finishers to trilogies.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:13 pm
You must have big rats

It actually grew on me after repeat viewings.

Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
No Wire Tampons!

I read that Famke Janssen turned down the T-X role. I could see her as a great terminator too. I, unsurprisingly loved the female terminator. Women are scarier than men.

Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:55 am
Profile WWW
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

The ending made the film. Best ending of any actioner in recent memory.

Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next