Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Terminator 

What grade would you give this film?
A 78%  78%  [ 7 ]
B 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

The Terminator 
College Boy Z

Post The Terminator
The Terminator

Quote:
The Terminator is a 1984 science fiction action film directed by James Cameron, co-written by Cameron and William Wisher Jr., and starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Michael Biehn, and Linda Hamilton. The film was produced by Hemdale Film Corporation and distributed by Orion Pictures, and filmed in Los Angeles. Schwarzenegger plays the Terminator, a cyborg assassin sent back in time from the year 2029 to 1984 to kill Sarah Connor, played by Hamilton. Biehn plays Kyle Reese, a soldier from the future sent back in time to protect Sarah.

Though not expected to be either a commercial or critical success, The Terminator topped the American box office for two weeks and helped launch the film careers of James Cameron and Arnold Schwarzenegger. In 2008, it was selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the United States National Film Registry, being deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:24 pm
Speed Racer

Probably one of the best, if not THE BEST low-budget action movie ever.

I'm the man.

Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:48 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

A

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:37 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

i didnt liked it to much, but great movie anyways!

B-

Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:28 pm
Hatchling

A

Probably one of the best, if not THE BEST low-budget action movie ever.

Agree totally 8). My favorite of the whole series.

Definitely underrated in the series and film history. It was much more than the rise of Arnold's career, a few unforgettable catch-phrases and action sequences. The film has heart. One of the best storylines in any genre.

Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

An above average outing.

Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

Probably the worst of the series, but that's not really saying much. Still a kickass action flick, and the start of one of the best trilogies ever.

My Grade: B+

Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:04 pm
now we know

One of the great 80's movies. A brilliant role for Arnold, executed remarkably!!!

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Last edited by Algren on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:32 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

One of the ten best sci-fi movie ever made. It's amazing what Cameron could manage with the low budget he had. The low budget helped the movie's gritty and raw look. Arnold is good in the role of his life and the action is very well-executed.

Last edited by Dr. Lecter on Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:03 am
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

Great sci-fi-action which never shows its low budget. It made Arnold a star, but the credits for this extraordinary film should all go to Cameron. (A-)

Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:15 am
Mod Team Leader

Is there a better person to play a cyborg than Arnold? For this movie he was a massively built oak tree of a man. His strange accent makes for a perfect callous robotic sounding killing machine. It's almost like his voice is a computer read out ( which I guess it is in one sense ). Terminator is one of those films that started something huge. People didn't realize it at the time, but the careers of Arnold, Cameron and perhaps even guys like Micahel Biehn, Lance Henriksen and even Bill Paxton were substantially started because of this film. And Cameron must have liked working with them so much that he gave all of them substantial roles in his next film ( Aliens ).

As we all know what the story is, I'll just tell you a bit about what is so fascinating about it. First I have to mention Michael Biehn. He has the real starring role. He is the character that has to explain everything to the audience. He has to explain this complicated story so that we know what is happening and why. It is not an easy job to do something like that and still come off looking all right. But Biehn is simply awesome in this film. A microcosm of his performance can be seen when Sara bites him. Biehn ( Kyle Reese ) replies " Terminator's don't feel pain. I do. Don't do that again. " That is such a great line delivered with the perfect expression, the perfect tone and the perfect timing. Biehn is perfect for the role.

This is also the first film that I saw as a youngster that ever warned me of the dangers of nuclear war and of the rapid advancements of machinery. Perhaps I was too young and naive to fully understand all that James Cameron was trying to say, but now that I am older, I can honestly say that the two Terminators are perfect anti nuke films. And they are so passionate with what they have to say. I like it when a film has something to say. I enjoy being entertained in the process but if you can manage both then you have a masterpiece. This is a masterpiece.

Finally. there are two other reasons to enjoy this film. One, this is the first film where "I'll be back" was spoken. Now it is part of Arnolds vernacular. Secondly, Bill Paxton is in it. And he adds spark to any film that he's in. Especially here, as the idiot punk leader that really gets the hell beat out of him, he has some great lines.

A great film.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Funny thing is is that Michael was supposed to play Terminator, but Arnold realized he was perfect for the part. And he was. Excellent movie and far superior to its sequels. A +

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Star Trek XI

My favorite of the series, its more gritty and dark then the other two Terminator films the musical score was fantastic I thought.

Grade: A

1. Titanic - $600.8m
2. Star Wars - $461.0m
3. Shrek 2 - $441.2m
4. E.T. the Extra Terrestrial - $435.1m
5. The Phantom Menace - $431.1m
6. Spider-Man - $403.7m
7. Revenge of the Sith - $380.3m
8. Return of the King - $377.0m
9. Spider-Man 2 - $373.6m
10. The Passion of the Christ - $370.8m

Sat May 07, 2005 12:04 am
Profile YIM WWW
La Bella Vito

My least favorite of the series, but still very entertaining.

B

Sat May 07, 2005 12:46 am
Profile YIM WWW
All Star Poster

Wa Ha, James Cameron is a freakin genius, this is one of the best Sci-Fi movies I've ever seen.

A

Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:39 am
Devil's Advocate

A kick ass ride. I've waited a long... long... long... time to see this movie, and I can't say I was disappointed in the slightest. I was surprised at how much pure fun it was, the chase and action scenes are just breathtaking, it's so goddam entertaining. Arnie is perfect in the film, his classic lines just made me grin, they're so good. Of course to go with the fun, the storyline is also adept as well, the telling of a future war and the mission to save Sarah Conners is an amazing one, it is scary and exciting and eye-opening all at once.

My biggest issue with the film is the ending with Reese being the father, other than the fact that it's the most predictable plot twist everrrrr, it also creates a huge unneccesary mindfuck. Reese being sent back created John Conners, but for John to send him back he needed to be alive in the first place, in present day he could not have been born because originally there was no Reese, for Reese to be sent back John needed to be alive, but there's no way that John was born in the first place because he was never alive in the first place to send Reese back. Indeed, yes that made no sense to me as well.

Anyways, still one of the best sci-fi films ever.

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:51 am
We had our time together

i didnt liked it to much, but great movie anyways!

B-

How can it be great if you didn't liked it much? :unsure:

Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:04 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

A-

My biggest issue with the film is the ending with Reese being the father, other than the fact that it's the most predictable plot twist everrrrr, it also creates a huge unneccesary mindfuck. Reese being sent back created John Conners, but for John to send him back he needed to be alive in the first place, in present day he could not have been born because originally there was no Reese, for Reese to be sent back John needed to be alive, but there's no way that John was born in the first place because he was never alive in the first place to send Reese back. Indeed, yes that made no sense to me as well.

I think it makes sense.

Reese dies at an adult age. That doesn't mean a "child" Reese won't be born. He will be born and then will be sent back by John as an adult and he will die. Reese died, yet he will be born, grow up and be sent back. It is twisted, but not illogical.

Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:08 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Funny thing is is that Michael was supposed to play Terminator, but Arnold realized he was perfect for the part. And he was. Excellent movie and far superior to its sequels. A +

Actually OJ Simpson was suppose to play the Terminator, when it was more of a regular guy and not really big. Arnold was suppose to play the hero, Arnold and Cameron both were eating dinner together and they both thought to themselves that the villian was a much more interesting character. Arnold spoke up first, so he gets the credit.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:47 am
Draughty

Better than the sequels. Among other things, what helps this movie work is that it is set in a more loose, easy going period, and so the contrast with the hyper efficient robot from the future is bigger and more dramatic. The Sarah Conner character was charmingly realistic, unlike in T2. And then there's poor Michael Biehn who was a big part of several great sci fi movies and rarely gets the credit he deserves.

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:06 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

A-

A kick ass ride. I've waited a long... long... long... time to see this movie, and I can't say I was disappointed in the slightest. I was surprised at how much pure fun it was, the chase and action scenes are just breathtaking, it's so goddam entertaining. Arnie is perfect in the film, his classic lines just made me grin, they're so good. Of course to go with the fun, the storyline is also adept as well, the telling of a future war and the mission to save Sarah Conners is an amazing one, it is scary and exciting and eye-opening all at once.

Maybe today, but 22 years ago that twist was very original. Everything about this movie is excellently executed, whether its fishout of water, action, sci fi. Violence, its a perfect mix, and is a great movie. A lot of people love 2, and they rightfully should, but they are literally in two different leagues. One cost 6 million, the other 100 million. Its the best R rated Trilogy of all time in my book, all three are solid great films.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:09 am
We had our time together

Shack wrote:
A-

Maybe today, but 22 years ago that twist was very original. Everything about this movie is excellently executed, whether its fishout of water, action, sci fi. Violence, its a perfect mix, and is a great movie. A lot of people love 2, and they rightfully should, but they are literally in two different leagues. One cost 6 million, the other 100 million. Its the best R rated Trilogy of all time in my book, all three are solid great films.

You think the third one is in the same league as the first two?

Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

As the token woman here, I'll put in a plug for the romantic scenes. Biehn did this one very well. "I came across time for you, Sarah." :blush:

Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Shack wrote:
A-

I think it makes sense.

Reese dies at an adult age. That doesn't mean a "child" Reese won't be born. He will be born and then will be sent back by John as an adult and he will die. Reese died, yet he will be born, grow up and be sent back. It is twisted, but not illogical.

No no, I think you missed my point. For Reese to be sent back, John needed to be born, but John should never have been born because originally there was no Reese in the present day, because John was never originally born. Thinking about it now, it's not so much of a mindfuck as a plothole, though I can easily ignore it. If it was real events, originally Sarah would live her life, never encountering Reese or any other strange occurences, she would just grow up and then die. John would never be born as Reese would never be sent back, because John was never born. She would never encounter Reese because for that to happen would require her son being born, but that cannot have happened, as originally there is noone there to impregnate her! Lol, yeah.

;)

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:00 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Shack wrote:
A-

I think it makes sense.

No no, I think you missed my point. For Reese to be sent back, John needed to be born, but John should never have been born because originally there was no Reese in the present day, because John was never originally born. Thinking about it now, it's not so much of a mindfuck as a plothole, though I can easily ignore it. If it was real events, originally Sarah would live her life, never encountering Reese or any other strange occurences, she would just grow up and then die. John would never be born as Reese would never be sent back, because John was never born. She would never encounter Reese because for that to happen would require her son being born, but that cannot have happened, as originally there is noone there to impregnate her! Lol, yeah.

;)

Its called a time paradox Shack. Human minds are to small to understand :sweat:

I remember reading a theoretical science paper once which said that time travel my be possible but it would be impssible to change anything even though you occupy the same space-time, in a certain dimension level you don't :wacko:

As for the movie, Its one of Arnies best. And the coda at the end is haunting to watch, I'd imagine its impact was even greater in the nuclear standoff days of the 1980s

A+

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next