Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Date Movie 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
D 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
F 45%  45%  [ 13 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 29

Date Movie 
loyalfromlondon

Wow. Quite possibly the worst movie I have ever seen. I think everyone else summed up why this was so bad. Painfully unfunny. It was actually painful to watch.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:37 am
htm

This thread is far more entertaining than the movie.

I mean, why throw in Clockwork Orange references in a *date* spoof? To look sophisticated, or piss off everyone not savvy enough to know what movie you are "trying to spoof"? (Yes, apparently people are protesting this production as they feel it promotes violence against the homeless)

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:45 am
Extraordinary

After finally having the opportunity to see Date Movie tonight, I can only feel sorrow in my heart for those who have graded it "F" or "D"...

Sure, it's your opinion and all, and can't be argued, but why in the world would you bother going to a low comedy genre spoof like this if it's not your cup of tea (or hummus as the case may be). This is a quality film within it's parameters. It stars the adorable red headed comedienne, Alyson Hannigan, ably supported by newcomer Adam Campbell as Grant Funkyerdoder - not to mention a sterling supporting cast of old pros and talented rookies.

If I were to compare it to another movie, such as Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill, (one of my favorite movies of last year), I would have to say that Date Movie is a terrible bird documentary. But how silly would I have to be to judge it on those standards?

The only reason I haven't graded this movie 5 out of 5, is that many of the movies it has chosen to spoof are crappy in their own right and unworthy of it's attention (eg: [i]Meet the Fokkers, LOTR, etc.).

4 out of 5.

Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:11 am
Teenage Dream

After finally having the opportunity to see Date Movie tonight, I can only feel sorrow in my heart for those who have graded it "F" or "D"...

Sure, it's your opinion and all, and can't be argued, but why in the world would you bother going to a low comedy genre spoof like this if it's not your cup of tea (or hummus as the case may be). This is a quality film within it's parameters. It stars the adorable red headed comedienne, Alyson Hannigan, ably supported by newcomer Adam Campbell as Grant Funkyerdoder - not to mention a sterling supporting cast of old pros and talented rookies.

If I were to compare it to another movie, such as Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill, (one of my favorite movies of last year), I would have to say that Date Movie is a terrible bird documentary. But how silly would I have to be to judge it on those standards?

The only reason I haven't graded this movie 5 out of 5, is that many of the movies it has chosen to spoof are crappy in their own right and unworthy of it's attention (eg: [i]Meet the Fokkers, LOTR, etc.).

4 out of 5.

I think you do this on purpose.

Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:15 am
Extraordinary

Yeah, like I'm going to listen to the opinion of someone who considers The Notebook to be a terrible movie and House of Wax to be a great one!?! :hahaha:

I have already declared my supreme allegiance to the low comedy genre. Bubble Boy is one of my all-time favorite movies. Seriously.

Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:21 am
Teenage Dream

makeshift wrote:

Yeah, like I'm going to listen to the opinion of someone who considers The Notebook to be a terrible movie and House of Wax to be a great one!?! :hahaha:

I have already declared my supreme allegiance to the low comedy genre. Bubble Boy is one of my all-time favorite movies. Seriously.

Thing is, you don't do it with just "low comedy's". Nearly every time there is a critically AND publically reviled film, you chime in with your 4 out of 5 or 5 out of 5 review. It's... odd.

Also, The Notebook is terrible. It's one of the worst "romantic" films I've ever seen. I'm relatively positive that most of the people who hold it in such admiration acutally saw another, completely different film with a similar name. The Textbook, perhaps? :tongue:

Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:30 pm
Sbil

bradley witherberry wrote:
makeshift wrote:

Thing is, you don't do it with just "low comedy's". Nearly every time there is a critically AND publically reviled film, you chime in with your 4 out of 5 or 5 out of 5 review. It's... odd.

Also, The Notebook is terrible. It's one of the worst "romantic" films I've ever seen. I'm relatively positive that most of the people who hold it in such admiration acutally saw another, completely different film with a similar name. The Textbook, perhaps? :tongue:

NO. NO. NO.

Grow a vagina and get back to me.

Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:29 pm
College Boy T

...I just never want to watch it or Moulin Rouge with girls again.

The way they shove it down you...ugh. I'd honestly rather talk James-Jack-Johnson-Blunt, Louis Vuitton, or The Real World.

Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:38 pm
Teenage Dream

makeshift wrote:
makeshift wrote:

NO. NO. NO.

Grow a vagina and get back to me.

I love it when you talk dirty.

Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:48 pm
Extraordinary

Of course, I'm completely bloody tired of it since it's my girlfriend's favorite flick.

Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:50 pm
Sbil

I liked The Notebook :P

Of course, I'm completely bloody tired of it since it's my girlfriend's favorite flick.

It's every girl's favorite movie.

Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:07 pm
Devil's Advocate

Yes, what everybody else said. That was bad, that was really, really bad. Just...awful. Thus far I've been writing reviews for all 2006 movies, but I'm not going to for this one. It doesn't deserve it.

Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:44 am
Indiana Jones IV

4 out of 5.

Just like "Into The Blue" was a timeless classic?

Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The only reason I haven't graded this movie 5 out of 5, is that many of the movies it has chosen to spoof are crappy in their own right and unworthy of it's attention (eg: Meet the Fokkers, LOTR, etc.).

4 out of 5.

Just like "Into The Blue" was a timeless classic?

Actually, I rated Into the Blue one point higher than Date Movie - 5 out of 5.

You're right! It was indeed a great movie...

Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:08 pm
Star Trek XI

The Scary Movies and other spoof movies make jokes out of the movies they spoof. Date Movie was a constant reminder of other movies that were a lot funnier than Date Movie itself. It might have been a little better if it hadn't spoofed anything at all.

Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:22 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

I pretty much knew it was going to be bad because of all of your reviews but Christ!!! I didn’t think it was going to be this unimaginably bad, I think I laugh just one time on the Meet the Focker spoof when the the kid said Beeyotch lol, hell I didn’t laugh I just giggle a bit… Everything else just failed miserably. I really wanted to just get up and go see another one, but one of my friends seemed to enjoy this piece of crap :nonono:

I think this is quite possibly the stupidest and unfunniest comedy EVER!!

F

Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:30 am
htm

Hands down the WORST movie of the year thus far.

Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:00 am
Top Poster

I saw the unrated dvd. I never turn on the commentary track the first time I watch a film, but I did so after the first 10 minutes in because it was intolerable. I alternated between two audio tracks with the film dialogue in subtitles. The "anti-commentary" by the two film critics made this film more enjoyable by their criticizing how bad it is. Meanwhile, the fake studio audience laughter track made unfunny jokes seem less horrible. Don't know if I would've rated it lower otherwise, but I give it a D+ with these audio tracks on.

Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

I'm generally pretty forgiving of lame spoof movies, like Scary Movie 1,2,3, and 4, and can find myself entertained. However, Date Movie has to be one of the worst spoof movies of all time. It just was painfully unfunny, and had nothing to offer over the movies it was spoofing.

The problem is that it tried to spoof much better comedies... spoofs work so much better when you make fun of an action or horror movie. Instead all we get in DM are things like somebody acting like Napoleon Dynamite... almost note for note. How is that a funny take on the movie? The entire movie was painfully unfunny, and I can't think of anything I laughed at, at all. I actually felt sorry for Allison Hannigon who deserves much better than this giant turd of a movie.

F-

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:25 pm
why so serious?

Wow... I actually found this movie to be okay. It wasn't great (it wasn't as funny as the Scary Movie films, except maybe the second one), but it wasn't as bad as its reputation would suggest. It's decent entertainment, even though it's somewhat forgettable.

B-/C+

Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:46 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:24 pm
You must have big rats

Oh boy, I just went in expecting some Scary Movie 3-like mediocre entertainment, but this film made Scary Movie 3/4 seem like comedy masterpieces. This was simply terrible. I laughed for about three times during the whole film (the best laugh being about "Hitch" bringing Matt Damon and Ben Affleck together as a couple). Most of the spoofs here were just so terribly set up. Several "spoofs" simply repeated the scenes from the original (the scenes that have been way funnier in the original). This is just bad and below any dignity. After the okay-ish and occasionally funny first half of the film, came the sleep-inducing second part during which I didn't lagh a single time, was on the verge of falling asleep all the time and found the film to be rather disgusting than funny. The Kill Bill, LOTR and King Kong spoofs were some of the most inane and annoying things I have ever seen in a film. I should have listened to others and skipped it. Every single Scary Movie flick is better than this. Heck, even Not Another Teen Movie is better!

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:52 am
Profile WWW
I'm Batman

Flat out terrible. Chuckled maybe two times throughout the entire movie. I don't understand how they thought this movie was funny while they were making it.

-D-

Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:45 pm
Extraordinary

If only I could give out a grade worse than an F

Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:40 am
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Date Movie
Wow. Man miss Mel Brooks, Monty Python and The Zuckers before the mid 90s. All these wannabees are all pretty terrible these. I remember when you could say a great spoof was also a good movie.

D+ (Because it made me reminisce about the better films)

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3