Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 544 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 King Kong (2005) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 60%  60%  [ 68 ]
B 23%  23%  [ 26 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 114

King Kong (2005) 
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
bradley witherberry wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Well, lemme put it this way, even if I found the first hour boring like Riggs did, I would still give it at least a B considering the middle part has the best action of any movie released in 2005.

You do write some sensible things here Dr. Lecter, so your assessment of this as the "best action" of 2005 is all the more puzzling...

It had better action than Aeon Flux, at the very least.

:P

It's 2006, right now - come back in 2031 and you'll be whistling a different tune...

If so, you'll be the first to know that.

Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:45 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Well, lemme put it this way, even if I found the first hour boring like Riggs did, I would still give it at least a B considering the middle part has the best action of any movie released in 2005.

Yep, the action is incredible. And if you skip the rest of the movie it's a B+. ;)

Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:38 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Dr. Lecter wrote:

Yep, the action is incredible. And if you skip the rest of the movie it's a B+. ;)

There ya go - straight from the horse's mouth!

Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:17 am
I'm Batman

Bradley come on, you like Aeon Flux and I'm the one who's non-sensible? :wacko:

Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:14 am
I'm Batman

And I still don't see how this is bad reviews after the hype is gone? An A from Cotton and an A+ from JMart. Damn, Kong must be mad at those reviews.

Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:15 am
loyalfromlondon

I just watched this again on DVD, and realized I hadn't written a full review for it, so here goes:

This is a film that is so visually stunning that it blows everything else away. As of right now, this is the benchmark for special effects in movies. It's too bad that the rest of the film couldn't quite keep up with the fantastic special effects, for this would have be an utter masterpiece, on par with the Lord of the Rings trilogy. For now, it'll have to settle for being merely great. The overlong running time, uneven pacing, and unnecessary subplots are a few of the minor complaints I have with it, and they are quite minor - they do not detract heavily from the overall quality. Still, I can't help but think that this movie was slightly overrated.

I'll start with my complaints of the film. My biggest gripe is the running time. With Lord of the Rings, the three hours flew by - so much so that it almost felt too short (hence why I prefer the extended editions). But here, the three hours seems like a luxury that Jackson is granted simply because he is recognized now as a great director. The first two acts could have easily been compressed into 90 minutes or less, rather than being over 2 hours. The exposition, while very well-done, could have been much shorter, as some of the character development wasn't needed or utilized later in the film. Many of the extraneous scenes could have been cut (pretty much anything with Jimmy, the most annoying character in the film) and some of the action, albeit quite impressive, wasn't necessary. At least one of the 'big' effects scenes in the middle wouldn't have been missed, maybe the brontosaurus stampede (although it's very thrilling) or the spider pit sequence (though I like the way the music is dampened in this scene - quite effective). It just seemed like Jackson was showing off his effects company for parts of it. He also used slow motion far too much. The only time I felt it was really effective was at the end, and that's due to the gravity of the situation. And the natives were wasted.

Still, this pales in comparison to the strengths of the film. As I said before, the visual effects are top-notch, unmatched by anything I've seen before or since. The action scenes are incredibly well-choreographed - especially the Kong vs. T-Rexes fight - but don't become too boring or incomprehensible. The entire production design is fantastic, though I wonder how much is location shooting and how much is CGI. Some of the shots on Skull Island are incredibly beautiful. The acting is great, surprisingly, though I'm still not convinced that Jack Black fits well. Adrien Brody is a suitable hero, but it is Naomi Watts who stands out the best, interesting since she has very few lines in the last two acts. Her facial expressions convey her emotions expertly, though. The supporting characters are mostly well-acted, with the exception of the annoying kid Jimmy and useless cook Lumpy. And Kong is simply fantastic. Probably the best CGI character in any film ever. The plot has a fair few holes, but altogether it is quite involving and emotional. At some times, though, it felt like there were two plots trying to be told: the 'Lost World'-type one with all the fantastic creatures, and the Kong-Ann love story. But it was smoothed out at the end. Speaking of which, the final act is simply incredible. Such a fantastic sequence. Completely makes up for the slightly disappointing first two hours.

So, overall, this was a flawed masterpiece, lowering its quality to merely great. Though the film as a whole is very well-made, there are some moments when the pace drags, and the story falters. It seems like Jackson really only put his full effort into the New York act; the first two don't have the quality or emotion that the finale does. It's too bad, this could have been on par with his Lord of the Rings masterpieces. As it is, this is a great action, fantastic adventure, and decent drama film.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:22 am
Forum General

And I didn't expect to, which was a plus.

I think it's the best film of 2005: a huge action blockbuster that also probably moved me just as much as any drama did last year.

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:13 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: King Kong (2005)
:wub2:

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:31 pm
why so serious?

Love it. As a matter of fact, it's one of few movies where I will stop and watch if I see it on TV while channel-surfing. The action is great, the effects are dazzling, the performances (that of Naomi Watts in particular) are superb, and it never loses my interest. It's basically three hours of everything I could ever ask from a movie, not to mention an excellent follow-up to LOTR for Peter Jackson. A

Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:39 am
Forum General

I like long deep films but imo this needed to be 30 mins shorter.

It went from being deep and thoughtful and fun to being way to long very quickly.

Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:15 pm
Profile WWW

I still think Jackson made this too well corny.

Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:30 pm
We had our time together

The thing that really saves this movie is the action/fx.

Replace Black and Brody, cut the first hour to ten minutes and leave Jamie Bell and the black captain completely out.

It's almost impossible for me watching the action-free parts of this movie.

Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:01 pm
Profile WWW