Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 1:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 

What grade would you give this film?
A 56%  56%  [ 48 ]
B 28%  28%  [ 24 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 85

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 
You must have big rats

Riggs27 wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:

Also, was Cedric in the last film? He was such a important character this time, and I had no idea who he was.

No, Cedric is only in Goblet.

I see....

The opening scene suggested that he and his father were fairly close to Ron's family, yet they're unseen in any prior films.

Can anyone clarify the Ron/Harry fight, was there something in the book?

Hmm, basically it is the same as in the movie. Ron believed that Harry somehow got his name into the Goblet and didn't want to tell him how he did it, even though he is his friend. There are more important things you should be asking, Loyal ;) I can spoil you some, unless you want to read the 4th book.

Cedric was mentioned in the third book I think, but just in one phrase or something.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:29 am
Profile WWW
There are more important things you should be asking, Loyal ;) I can spoil you some, unless you want to read the 4th book.

I'm sure there are :lol:

I have such a weird relationship with this franchise. Hated the first, survived the second, loved the third, and really enjoyed the fourth, though I didn't connect with it on an emotional level.

I'm pretty sure I won't read the fourth book, spoil away and hopefully clarify things for me.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:33 am
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
There are more important things you should be asking, Loyal ;) I can spoil you some, unless you want to read the 4th book.

I have such a weird relationship with this franchise. Hated the first, survived the second, loved the third, and really enjoyed the fourth, though I didn't connect with it on an emotional level.

I'm pretty sure I won't read the fourth book, spoil away and hopefully clarify things for me.

Okay...

[spoil]- In the fourth book there was even a stronger emphasis on people disliking and badmouthing Potter at first because he made it into the tournament despite being under the requiered age. Only after the first task, he got a fanbase. That is also why the one girl went to the Ball with him, basically because he was a Tri-Wizard Tournament participant.

- There are many more red herrings as far as the twist goes. There is a character named Ludo Bagman (an unnecessary one, glad he was removed) who tries to help Harry all the time. It turns out that he bet money on him. Then there is more emphasis on Karkaroff being the bad guy. The intersting thing is that unlike the movie, each of the judges (who are Barty Crouch Sr., Karkaroff, Madame Maxime and I believe Dumbledore (not sure about that, though)) gives a certain number of points to each participant. Karkaroff always gives Harry the least points, especially in the 2nd task where he technically was last.

- It is said obviously at the end that Barty Crouch Jr. killed his father. Also, the whole courtroom stuff was a bit different. Barty Crouch was not ratted out by Karkaroff, he was actually already imprisoned and waiting for his sentence. His father said then "I have no son". There is also his mother there who cries when her son is sent to Azkaban. Many years later, Barty Crouch Jr.'s mother is sick and is going to die and she begs her husband to free her son before her death, so they visit him in Azkaban and she drinks the Plyjuice (or whatever it is called again in English) and transforms in her son and then the son and the father walk away and she stays in Azkaban and dies. The dementors are blind and can't see that anyway and she drinks that Polyjuice Potion till she dies. At home, the father puits the son under the Imperius curse all the time and controls him. But the house-elf Winky, likes the son and begs the father to take his son to the World Cup. This is where he can finally resist the curse, he runs away, steals Potter's wand and launches the Dark Mark, but at first people think it was Potter because it was his wand. Ultimately Barty Crouch Jr. puts his own father under the Imperius curse and controls him until the father learns how to resist and then he kills him.

- It is more elaborately explained that Neville's parents wre tortured to insanity with the Cruciatus curse, by Barty Crouch Jr. and others, including Lucius Malfoy's sister-in-law Bellatrix Lestrange who will play a bigger role in the 5th movie, Her short appearance in this one was cut.

- At the end of the book, the Ministery representatives arrive with Dementors, but a Dementor goes out of control and gives Barty Crouch Jr. his "kiss" and this way kills him and with him all evidence dies. That will play an important role in the 5th movie (the lack of evidence, that is).

- It is more clearly stated that the Minister, Fudge, doesn't want to believe Harry.

- Rita Skeeter is one of the reasons why Potter is disliked at the begionning a lot since she writes a lot of bad stuff about him, ruining his repuation. At the end Hermione discovers that Rita is an unregistered animagus (she turns into a fly and can spy on people this way). She promises not to tell anyone, if Rita will leave them alone and agrees not to write anything at all for a year. That will play some role in the 5th movie as well.

- At the end of the Tournament Harry wins 1,000 galleons and wants to give the money to Cedric's parents, but they won't take it, so he gives the monoey to the Weasley Twins so they can open their store. That will play out in the next two movies.

- The third Task is much more elaborate as the participants need to use their learned skills and curses and fight different creatures in the maze, like a giant spider and boggarts and some others.

- Harry's escape from the graveyard is more complicated, even though a bit less believable

- The World Cup scene is obviously much more extended and it shows off how great of a play Krum is. Krum's character is different in the book too. He certainly isn't as sure of himself and cocky like in the movie. He barely ever talks and looks upset most of the time.

- Dumbledore explains Priori Incantatem. It happened because the wands of Voldemort and Harry are so similar and have the feather of the same phoenix in them. It just showed all the people Voldemort recently killed in a reversed order.

[/spoil]

There are more, but that should give you more of an idea. Hope it helped.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:54 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
loyalfromlondon wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

Okay...

[spoil]- In the fourth book there was even a stronger emphasis on people disliking and badmouthing Potter at first because he made it into the tournament despite being under the requiered age. Only after the first task, he got a fanbase. That is also why the one girl went to the Ball with him, basically because he was a Tri-Wizard Tournament participant.

- There are many more red herrings as far as the twist goes. There is a character named Ludo Bagman (an unnecessary one, glad he was removed) who tries to help Harry all the time. It turns out that he bet money on him. Then there is more emphasis on Karkaroff being the bad guy. The intersting thing is that unlike the movie, each of the judges (who are Barty Crouch Sr., Karkaroff, Madame Maxime and I believe Dumbledore (not sure about that, though)) gives a certain number of points to each participant. Karkaroff always gives Harry the least points, especially in the 2nd task where he technically was last.

- It is said obviously at the end that Barty Crouch Jr. killed his father. Also, the whole courtroom stuff was a bit different. Barty Crouch was not ratted out by Karkaroff, he was actually already imprisoned and waiting for his sentence. His father said then "I have no son". There is also his mother there who cries when her son is sent to Azkaban. Many years later, Barty Crouch Jr.'s mother is sick and is going to die and she begs her husband to free her son before her death, so they visit him in Azkaban and she drinks the Plyjuice (or whatever it is called again in English) and transforms in her son and then the son and the father walk away and she stays in Azkaban and dies. The dementors are blind and can't see that anyway and she drinks that Polyjuice Potion till she dies. At home, the father puits the son under the Imperius curse all the time and controls him. But the house-elf Winky, likes the son and begs the father to take his son to the World Cup. This is where he can finally resist the curse, he runs away, steals Potter's wand and launches the Dark Mark, but at first people think it was Potter because it was his wand. Ultimately Barty Crouch Jr. puts his own father under the Imperius curse and controls him until the father learns how to resist and then he kills him.

- It is more elaborately explained that Neville's parents wre tortured to insanity with the Cruciatus curse, by Barty Crouch Jr. and others, including Lucius Malfoy's sister-in-law Bellatrix Lestrange who will play a bigger role in the 5th movie, Her short appearance in this one was cut.

- At the end of the book, the Ministery representatives arrive with Dementors, but a Dementor goes out of control and gives Barty Crouch Jr. his "kiss" and this way kills him and with him all evidence dies. That will play an important role in the 5th movie (the lack of evidence, that is).

- It is more clearly stated that the Minister, Fudge, doesn't want to believe Harry.

- Rita Skeeter is one of the reasons why Potter is disliked at the begionning a lot since she writes a lot of bad stuff about him, ruining his repuation. At the end Hermione discovers that Rita is an unregistered animagus (she turns into a fly and can spy on people this way). She promises not to tell anyone, if Rita will leave them alone and agrees not to write anything at all for a year. That will play some role in the 5th movie as well.

- At the end of the Tournament Harry wins 1,000 galleons and wants to give the money to Cedric's parents, but they won't take it, so he gives the monoey to the Weasley Twins so they can open their store. That will play out in the next two movies.

- The third Task is much more elaborate as the participants need to use their learned skills and curses and fight different creatures in the maze, like a giant spider and boggarts and some others.

- Harry's escape from the graveyard is more complicated, even though a bit less believable

- The World Cup scene is obviously much more extended and it shows off how great of a play Krum is. Krum's character is different in the book too. He certainly isn't as sure of himself and cocky like in the movie. He barely ever talks and looks upset most of the time.

- Dumbledore explains Priori Incantatem. It happened because the wands of Voldemort and Harry are so similar and have the feather of the same phoenix in them. It just showed all the people Voldemort recently killed in a reversed order.

[/spoil]

think the movie was better in these regards as most of these longer scenes weren't needed. Except as I mentioned above - more magic by the kids.

Last edited by Goldie on Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:58 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

think the movie was better in these regards as most of these longer scenes weren't needed.

Then again, you did not read the books. As a fan of the novels, I would have at least prefered to see two of them included, especially the one at the end.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:59 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

Okay...

[/spoil]

:wacko:

That was a lot of info. And it definitely helped (esp with Crouch Jr.)

Thanks Lect.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:12 am
Commander and Chef

did y'all notice the number of butt shots in this movie?

Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:15 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

did y'all notice the number of butt shots in this movie?

You counted?

Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

:wacko:

That was a lot of info. And it definitely helped (esp with Crouch Jr.)

Thanks Lect.

You are welcome.

Take a look at this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0330373/

Even with over 9,000 votes the rating still didn't go down. I think ti will stay on the list for quite a while.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

In response to something earlier, if you go by the books, Cedric is in Prisoner of Azkaban as well. He's the Seeker going for the snitch during the rainstorm.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:22 pm
Pure Phase

It was solid, but filled to the brim with flaws and fell short of the third film's excitement and emotional power. This time around, I felt the film seemed rush. Not in terms of visual effects (which were spectacular), but in terms of plot. I s'pose a disjointed, on-and-off plot is the curse of adaptating a 700+ page novel into a 150 minute film. I did love Emma Watson's performance as Hermione (as always) and the supporting cast was great as ever (though I could've done without Miranda Richardson in a disappointing and grating turn as a magical tabloid reporter), but moments from the novel which were so grand (the Quidditch World Cup, the dragon, the mermaids, the maze, and especially the graveyard and return of Voldemort) felt bland and, at times, boring here. It just didn't have the tension and joy of Alfonso Cuaron's take on the material. I guess I kinda admired it, but was letdown by it too. It's pretty sad when a HARRY POTTER flick isn't even the best fantasy movie of it's release year (2005's is THE BROTHERS GRIMM in my book).

A generous B-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:25 pm
I just lost the game

Cedric was mentioned in the third book I think, but just in one phrase or something.

He was the Hufflepuff Quidditch seeker and captain in the third novel (there was no quidditch in the fourht novel due to the Triwizard tournament, although if there was a Quidditch season, Cedric would have been captina then as well). The match againt Hufflepuff was also the match in which the dementors attacked Harry and lost his Nimbus. It was mentioned that Cedric had already caught the snitch as Harry was attacked. He demanded some sort of redo, but Madam Hooch wouldn't allow it (in more or less words). Admirible character in my opinion. I wish they would have shown some more of his moments before the credits.

Dr. Lecter wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

Okay...

[/spoil]

[spoil]-On the second bullet, Bagman was also a judge. Throughout the book he is constantly trying to help Harry and, as judge, giving him a lot of points in order to ensure his bet would pay off. Eventually he lost because "Harry tied with Cedric...he didn't straight up win"

-Rita Skeeter's abilities as an animagus isn't that important in the fifth movie. They could just as easily get anybody to write...it. I'm glad that little plot wasn't in the movie, as it would have just been ultimately useless. I would have liked to see just a BIT more of her total tabloid blood-thirty journalism.

-I would have loved to see the Sphinx in the maze. Come on. Sphinxes are just kickass.

-On the Weasley store: in addition to the winning Harry gave to them, there was also a small bit from the beginning in which the Weasleys bet pretty big on an odd bet: Ireland to win the match, even though Krum (from Bulgaria) grabs the Snitch and ends the game. The bet was against Ludo Bagman, of all people.

-Bellatrix Lestrange is a pivitol character to the rest of the series in general, not just the fifth novel (anybody who doesn't think her role in the seventh book won't be fairly big is seriously retarded).

-Prior Incantatem was seriously not explained well in the movie at all. In the first book/movie, it is revealed that Olivander, the wand maker, thinks it "Very interesting" of the wand Harry has. The phoenix feather that resides in Harry's wand comes from a Phoenix that has only ever given one other feather to a wand. That wand belongs to Voldemort. Priori Incantatem is a rare instance in which a wand meets is brother and, as stated, "ghosts" of Voldie's past spells come out, starting with the most recent (Cedric) and moving back (Frank Bryce the groundskeeper from the beginning, then Harry's mom, then his dad)[/spoil]

Just clearing some of your points up/adding some of my own thoughts.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:15 pm
You must have big rats

[spoil]-On the second bullet, Bagman was also a judge. Throughout the book he is constantly trying to help Harry and, as judge, giving him a lot of points in order to ensure his bet would pay off. Eventually he lost because "Harry tied with Cedric...he didn't straight up win"

-Rita Skeeter's abilities as an animagus isn't that important in the fifth movie. They could just as easily get anybody to write...it. I'm glad that little plot wasn't in the movie, as it would have just been ultimately useless. I would have liked to see just a BIT more of her total tabloid blood-thirty journalism.

-I would have loved to see the Sphinx in the maze. Come on. Sphinxes are just kickass.

-On the Weasley store: in addition to the winning Harry gave to them, there was also a small bit from the beginning in which the Weasleys bet pretty big on an odd bet: Ireland to win the match, even though Krum (from Bulgaria) grabs the Snitch and ends the game. The bet was against Ludo Bagman, of all people.

-Bellatrix Lestrange is a pivitol character to the rest of the series in general, not just the fifth novel (anybody who doesn't think her role in the seventh book won't be fairly big is seriously retarded).

-Prior Incantatem was seriously not explained well in the movie at all. In the first book/movie, it is revealed that Olivander, the wand maker, thinks it "Very interesting" of the wand Harry has. The phoenix feather that resides in Harry's wand comes from a Phoenix that has only ever given one other feather to a wand. That wand belongs to Voldemort. Priori Incantatem is a rare instance in which a wand meets is brother and, as stated, "ghosts" of Voldie's past spells come out, starting with the most recent (Cedric) and moving back (Frank Bryce the groundskeeper from the beginning, then Harry's mom, then his dad)[/spoil]

Thanks for the comments.

[spoil]

I am still glad that Bagman's character was cut as he was essentially not necessary at all, other than being soneone who audiences could suspect. I suppose the most disappointing things to me were the lack of the conclusion with Barty Crouch Jr. being killed and the disappointing maze. To see the Sphinx would be great and then the giant spider and all the other stuff. Maybe they ran out of budget? Heh.

I don't think Bellatrix will play such a huge role in the final book simply because theere are too many characters this novel will have to deal with, but of course there will be a bif Neville(Bellatrix pay-off.

I just think that Rita Skeeter was mostly wasted.[/spoil]

Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

insomniacdude wrote:

Thanks for the comments.

[spoil]

I am still glad that Bagman's character was cut as he was essentially not necessary at all, other than being soneone who audiences could suspect. I suppose the most disappointing things to me were the lack of the conclusion with Barty Crouch Jr. being killed and the disappointing maze. To see the Sphinx would be great and then the giant spider and all the other stuff. Maybe they ran out of budget? Heh.

I don't think Bellatrix will play such a huge role in the final book simply because theere are too many characters this novel will have to deal with, but of course there will be a bif Neville(Bellatrix pay-off.

In the book or the movie?

Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:44 pm
Profile YIM
Indiana Jones IV

Dr. Lecter wrote:
insomniacdude wrote:

Thanks for the comments.

[spoil]

He was in the book. They had this subplot with him and Fred & George Weasley which wasn't really important.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:46 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
insomniacdude wrote:

Thanks for the comments.

[spoil]

In the movie.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:50 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

Yea, she was, but Miranda Richardson was still great, imo.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:17 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

She was in her very few scenes. That's exactly why I say that the character itself was wasted.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:22 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
It was solid, but filled to the brim with flaws and fell short of the third film's excitement and emotional power. This time around, I felt the film seemed rush. Not in terms of visual effects (which were spectacular), but in terms of plot. I s'pose a disjointed, on-and-off plot is the curse of adaptating a 700+ page novel into a 150 minute film. I did love Emma Watson's performance as Hermione (as always) and the supporting cast was great as ever (though I could've done without Miranda Richardson in a disappointing and grating turn as a magical tabloid reporter), but moments from the novel which were so grand (the Quidditch World Cup, the dragon, the mermaids, the maze, and especially the graveyard and return of Voldemort) felt bland and, at times, boring here. It just didn't have the tension and joy of Alfonso Cuaron's take on the material. I guess I kinda admired it, but was letdown by it too. It's pretty sad when a HARRY POTTER flick isn't even the best fantasy movie of it's release year (2005's is THE BROTHERS GRIMM in my book).

A generous B-

I agree with you in alot of ways - The movie was very fully stuffed by most times it felt like it was just skating along without any true magic.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:26 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

Chris wrote:

She was in her very few scenes. That's exactly why I say that the character itself was wasted.

Ah, I see. I do wish that would have seen a little more, especially she and Harry in the cupboard. That was hilarious. :lol: Maybe they deleted a few scenes that will pop up on the DVD?

Last edited by Chris on Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:39 pm
Profile YIM
Cream of the Crop

Well, they've promised deleted scenes (as well as commentary... YAY!), so who knows what we may see on the DVD. I know they whittled part of the Death Eater scene at the Cup, 'cause in the trailer, there's a shot where you can see the Muggles up in the air like it was described in the book, but that didn't end up in the final cut of the movie...

You know, once they've got all 7 movies out, they should go back and add all the deleted scenes back into the movies to create a special Extended Edition of all the movies, much like they've been doing when they premiere the movies on ABC. Would be totally cool, and HP fans would totally double-dip for EE DVDs of the HP movies...

Joy

Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:09 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Well, they've promised deleted scenes (as well as commentary... YAY!), so who knows what we may see on the DVD. I know they whittled part of the Death Eater scene at the Cup, 'cause in the trailer, there's a shot where you can see the Muggles up in the air like it was described in the book, but that didn't end up in the final cut of the movie...

You know, once they've got all 7 movies out, they should go back and add all the deleted scenes back into the movies to create a special Extended Edition of all the movies, much like they've been doing when they premiere the movies on ABC. Would be totally cool, and HP fans would totally double-dip for EE DVDs of the HP movies...

Joy

I am not surprised...there were many shots in the GoF trailers that did not appear in the movie.

I would LOVE EE's of Potter flicks.

Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:13 am
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Bellatrix is going to be huge in book 7!!! one of hte best characters ever :D After neville that is :)

Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:19 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Joy

And then we can have a back-to-back (times 7) Harry Potter fest lasting a full day. ;)

Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:24 am
Christian's #1 Fan

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it overall. While on the surface it was a great movie, and visually it was spectacular, there just felt like there was something missing. I guess in a lot of ways the gloss of Harry Potter has worn off a little bit and this film just felt a little empty to me.

Production was flawless though, the acting is improved and the pacing was fairly constant. There were a few scenes that could have been edited better and some of the transitions were oddly cut. I can't compare it to the novel though, as I've not read it yet.

Overall, I'd give it a B+.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next