Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Walk the Line 

What grade would you give this film?
A 51%  51%  [ 25 ]
B 37%  37%  [ 18 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 49

Walk the Line 
You must have big rats

After the immense success of this one (around $120 million box-office, will finish close to $200 million worldwide, 4+ million sold DVD units etc.), we'll see many many musician biopics soon. I believe Janis Joplin is next.

Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:43 am
Profile WWW
Some days I'm a super bitch

After the immense success of this one (around $120 million box-office, will finish close to $200 million worldwide, 4+ million sold DVD units etc.), we'll see many many musician biopics soon. I believe Janis Joplin is next.

Yeah, I know Renee Zellweger has been signed to star in one for quite some time (don't know if it's begun shooting), while another Joplin film starring Pink was supposedly a go as well.

Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:01 am
Profile WWW
life begins now

Huh, I guess I never posted my review of the film. Anyway, it is a very good look into the lives of Johnny and June. Both Joaquin and Reese do wonderful jobs, especially Reese, who gives her best performance since Election. I thought that may have been a one-time thing, but seh proved me wrong. Phoenix has always impressed me, so I wasn't surprised by him, but he was great. Also, the sound was excellent and they both did great jobs on the vocals.

A

Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:32 am
Profile YIM
Grill

My 2nd favorite movie of all time! Very strong, fantastic and convincing performances by Witherspoon and Phoenix. The music was amazing and the drama was real.

10/10 A+

Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:30 pm
---------

My new favorite movie of 2005. Awesome, awesome movie. It never lost my interest, despite its long running time. The songs were very entertaining, as well as the characters. Joaquin Phoenix is awesome, and Reese Witherspoon is amazing. Plus, all of the side characters are all great. Seeing all the famous musicians that worked beside Cash was cool. The one thing I did think throughout the movie was that Johnny Cash and June Carter did not belong together. Johnny was a jerk most of the time, and June was always consistently sweet. I guess the drugs really affected his behavior, so I can understand in the end why she did go with him.

Grade: A

Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:45 pm
Veteran

It's too bad this has been compared to last year's Ray so much because I think this is the better movie. It does have some standard biopic moments, but the music and the performances by the two leads take it beyond that. Phoenix is terrific, but I think any shortcomings in his performance come from the fact that he is overshadowed by June throughout the movie. Everything is about June (his wife even says that). While that's great for Reese Witherspoon, who I thought was terrific, it does shortchange Johnny's representation throughout the 2nd half of the movie.

As for Witherspoon, I loved her performance. She's funny at times, heartbreaking at others. And she can sing!

I also wish the movie would have touched more on the fact that it was Cash's faith that helped him, rather than just a quick shot of him walking hand in hand with June to a church. Oh, well. Hollywood's bias against Christianity is a little stronger than even it's supposed anti-gay bias. At least Brokeback Mountain was nominated for picture.

I found this to be a very inspirational movie about second chances. My grade: A-.

Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:24 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

great movie. Phoenix and Witherspoon gives an extraordinary solid performance, which you can't found it in any other movies he/she played in. it's a solid A grade movie.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:18 am
Profile ICQ WWW
You must have big rats

I thought Phoenix was far better in Gladiator.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:24 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I thought Phoenix was far better in Gladiator.

he was good in Gladiator, but i think he was exceptional in Walk The Line.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:13 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
I'm Batman

Love the music, love the performances, and love the story of Johnny Cash.

-A

Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:37 pm
---------

I watched this again recently. Didn't realize how SLOW it was. I had to skip through the ending. It's just not that rewatchable. I still give it an A- though.

Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:28 pm
The Dark Knight

Post Re: Walk the Line
Saw it on DVD again tonight for my what 3rd viewing???

Hands down the musical best bio pic made in recent times.

Great acting and great story... Really heartwarming story. Nice angle with the father son rivalry. The great chemistry during the songs was the best. Sad Phoneix has gone AWOL...

A- one of all time 100 favourite films.

Huge hit (200 million WW, 8 million DVD's sold)...

Brought the American Legend Johnny Cash to a whole new generation of people and really this movie has really made a lot of people just like the man and easily the most legendary country singer of all time.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3