Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 In Good Company 

What grade would you give this film?
A 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
B 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

In Good Company 
College Boy Z

Post In Good Company
In Good Company

Quote:
In Good Company is a 2004 comedy film written and directed by Paul Weitz, the co-director of About a Boy. The film stars Dennis Quaid, Topher Grace, Scarlett Johansson, Marg Helgenberger, Clark Gregg, and Selma Blair.

Last edited by zingy on Tue May 10, 2005 12:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:49 pm
Affiliate

Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:46 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy T

In some ways, "In Good Company" is a better film than "About A Boy". In other ways, "American Pie" is better than both. "In Good Company", out of the three critically-acclaimed Weitz comedies, is the most charming. It has the freshest look, more convincing acting, and best flow. The entire film is mature, and unlike many other films, "In Good Company" makes its point loud and clear.

The biggest suprise in the entire film, is NOT Johannson or Quaid, but Topher Grace. Fairly unknown outside the few people who watch That 70s Show, Topher Grace really steals the show. Grace's character is able to connect with the insecurity many beings feel when dealing with people who are much older, outside of family, of course. But it's not ONLY the ability to connect. The best addition to the film are those few moments where you see Grace try oh-so-hard to keep his composure!

The one MAJOR qualm I have with the film is the romance between Johannson and Grace. And, no, it's not because I can't stand seeing someone else get on her (I'm not THAT nerdy ). It's just - it's a tad unrealistic. Who dates or even hangs out with your employee's daughter? It comes off as Monica Lewiski-ish. The other qualm with these scenes is that, they simply aren't funny enough. Ignoring the realism of it all, this material could've been used to their benefit. Like Meet the Fockers, it presents infinite possibility for humor. Then again, when you consider it, if you're striving to make a mature film, does the hit-or-miss formula/laugh-per-20-seconds formula really make sense?

And...the critics are wrong. The screenplay isn't corny and lazy, but happens to be witty. Topher Grace plays an over-the-top character who, like most in real life, uses cliches to get through the day.

All in all, In Good Company is very very strong. Even Dennis Quaid, dreadful in so many other roles, lives up to the standards placed by the other two young performers. A

Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:49 pm
Lord of filth

Clarification: The only thing Weitz had to do with American Wedding is a Producer, Jesse Dylan and Adam Herz were Director and Writer respectively.

Since you are here reading a review, then you are going to be spoiled a bit. In Good Company can best be summed up by Dennis Quaid's sales tactics at the end of the film, sometimes you just need to see the older guy beat up on the younger guy to make the older guy feel better. Meaning the film should do well with an older male audience :wink: And all turns out well for Quaid's character but Grace's character is kind of turned out on his ass and unsettled, left pawing at the door for a better life. Even though they worked TOGETHER to get to the conclusion.

You could see it as a happy ending for both, but in a movie which glosses over a lot and trys to make us all feel uplifted and happy, it is a rather lopsided, especially considering Topher Grace's Carter wasn't the enemy, just a pawn in corporate politics.

I don't know... it was a pleasant film... I just didn't like where it was going or what it had to say. It felt waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy. I still smiled in parts. The relationship with Scarlet's character is completely unsatisfying, especially for a film that I felt was trying overly hard to satisfy.

In no way does it come close to the brilliance of About A Boy.

Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Very good movie. I liked it. Not as good as About a Boy, but still a very, very entertaing flick. It's definately a winner in my books.

B+

Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

I should start off by saying that I only saw this film because I had to kill two hours before Coach Carter started. I had 0% expectations. I had no interest in this film whatsoever. I literally planned to sleep for a good 1 hour and 50 minutes. Instead, I found my eyes glued to the screen instead of closed. In Good Company is a great movie. The story was quite amusing. The characters and the connections between them were terrific. The chemistry between Topher Grace and Scarlett Johansson was impossible to not notice. Their chemistry lighted up the screen. I actually wish that more could have been done between them, as their love story didn't seem to be what they had portrayed in the trailers. The whole cast did a great job, including Dennis Quaid. He seemed to be perfect for the role of an old-timer being under the rule of a teen. I also laughed a lot in this movie, and I couldn't have expected that. It's a great film, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

B+

Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:18 pm
New Server, Same X

I should start off by saying that I only saw this film because I had to kill two hours before Coach Carter started. I had 0% expectations. I had no interest in this film whatsoever. I literally planned to sleep for a good 1 hour and 50 minutes. Instead, I found my eyes glued to the screen instead of closed. In Good Company is a great movie. The story was quite amusing. The characters and the connections between them were terrific. The chemistry between Topher Grace and Scarlett Johansson was impossible to not notice. Their chemistry lighted up the screen. I actually wish that more could have been done between them, as their love story didn't seem to be what they had portrayed in the trailers. The whole cast did a great job, including Dennis Quaid. He seemed to be perfect for the role of an old-timer being under the rule of a teen. I also laughed a lot in this movie, and I couldn't have expected that. It's a great film, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

B+

Except for the Coach Carter part, this would basically be my review.

Grade: B+

Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:07 pm
Hot Fuss

Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

http://www.worldofkj.com/Zingaling-InGoodCompany.php

Quote:
Like the ice age, it's an extremely rare event when I am actually sitting in a theater watching a romantic comedy movie. I'm not into the "chick flicks". I've honestly only really liked one chick flick, Mean Girls. So when I ended up watching In Good Company, I set myself up for a two-hour sleeping session. To my surprise, my eyes were wide open, and glued to the screen for that two hours. In Good Company is a combination of big business takeover, love and hate.

In Good Company starts off with Dan Foreman (played by Dennis Quaid). Dan is the head of the sports magazine department of his company. He's living the life. He has a wife, two lovely girls, a nice salary, and a job he's proud of. Then, his life turns for the worst when a bigger company takes over his, and assigns a young, "hot-shot" for Dan's job. The "hot-shot" is none other than Topher Grace, known for his role in the popular television show, That 70s Show. Dan is "over-the-hill", so when Topher's character, Carter, takes over his position as the boss, Dan couldn't feel worse. But no, that's just the beginning. Carter goes a step further and decides to make Dan his "assistant". What's better for Dan's life to not only be demoted from the job he loves, but to become the assistant to a 26-year-old "kid"! But wait, there's more. Dan now has to deal with more and more problems. His wife shocks him with the news of having a new child coming soon. His oldest daughter (played by Scarlett Johansson) shocks him with the news that she wants to go to NYU instead of her currently cheaper college. Dan doesn't exactly make his old salary, so through mortgages and all, Dan tries to get through his newly accepted life. What he can't deal with is his boss and his oldest daughter falling in love with each other after an unusual meeting in the elevator of the office building.

In Good Company surprised me in many ways. First, I found In Good Company to be very funny; even funnier than I could have ever expected. The chemistry between Dan and Carter is unmatchable. Topher found his calling in his role as Carter, and Dennis Quaid gives one of his best performances in recent memory as Dan. Scarlett also gives a great performance as the cute, intelligent Alex Foreman. The interaction between the characters in the movie were undeniably fun, hilarious, and perfect. The movie's so-called "love story" was not much of a love story, though. What I thought would be the main part of the movie seemed more like a side-story, if anything. Yes, they showed the relationship a bit, but not as much as you would think. I wish they had continued with the love story, because it seemed to be going very well.

In the end, all I can say is that I was pleasantly surprised with In Good Company, and it was certainly one of the better romantic comedies I've ever seen. I would recommend In Good Company to anyone who wants to see a good, warm-hearted comedy with likeable characters and joyful premise.

B+

Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:32 pm
College Boy Z

Tue May 10, 2005 12:54 pm
Forum General

I'm going to blind buy it, it looks quite good.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue May 10, 2005 1:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was excellent! One of 2004's best films.

9/10 (A)

Tue May 10, 2005 4:18 pm
Profile YIM
ef star star kay

loved it..

A-

Thu May 12, 2005 6:07 pm
I just lost the game

Wow. Awesome movie. Reminded me a lot of Garden State (although not as kickass) in terms of its balance between comedy and drama, its realism, its aweosme performances, and it ssoundtrack, which was surprisingly good. I just finished watching it, so my grade is probably a little inflated, but I'd definitely give this movie a grade in the A range, probably an A-.

Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:06 pm
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Wow. Topher Grace can really act. He was just awesome in this movie, and I loved every second he was onscreen. Quaid did a good job, and Johansson as well, but they both pale in comparison to Mr. Grace. That said, the movie was fun to watch and has funny moments, but don't expect nothing groundbreaking.

A-

Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Wow. Topher Grace can really act. He was just awesome in this movie, and I loved every second he was onscreen. Quaid did a good job, and Johansson as well, but they both pale in comparison to Mr. Grace. That said, the movie was fun to watch and has funny moments, but don't expect nothing groundbreaking.

A-

Your review makes the movie sound more like a B, why did it you give it an A-?

Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:38 pm
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

tombraider17 wrote:

A-

Your review makes the movie sound more like a B, why did it you give it an A-?

My grading scale is very lenient. I'm generous when it comes to giving out grades, I guess, and I don't feel like reinventing my entire grading scale. It's sort of hard to explain. I hardly go below C-.

Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Still a solid flick. I liked it (again).

But Scarlett Johanewhatsherface sounds like a maaaaaaaan.

B/B+ = solid entertainment. Good times. Topher Grace is cool.

Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Teh Mexican

What a nice surprise, one of the best Romantic Comedy of last year, its funny and sweet, i really like how it ended!

Topher Grace did a surprisingly good job!

A-

Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:17 pm
---------

I love this movie, as you can tell by my long-lasting avatar. It's such a great little personal drama that covers everything.

Grade: B+/A-

Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]