Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Serenity (2005) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 47%  47%  [ 22 ]
B 34%  34%  [ 16 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 47

Serenity (2005) 
College Boy Z

I have a question. How important is seeing the series for watching the movie.

It helps, but it's not that important. It gives a nice little explanation at the beginning of the film.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:22 pm
Speed Racer

if you watch the series you would be more emotionally invested in the characters and you might catch a few things that fans would notice that regular movie-goers would not, but the movie stands on its own nicely.

Users- 96%
Cinemascore- A
Metacritic- 74%
IMDB- 8.5 (15,619 votes) top 250: #125

I HAVE BEEN A MEMBER HERE SINCE THE FORUMS STARTED
THIS IS JUST A NEWER NAME

1-Serenity
2-Aliens
3-Terminator 2: Judgment Day
4-Scream
5-Drop Dead Gorgeous

Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Man! I haven't seen this much action in a thread since Crash came out. Bring it on! :clap:

Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:51 pm
Hot Fuss

Man! I haven't seen this much action in a thread since Crash came out. Bring it on! :clap:

Go see it! I need supporters.

I. Just. Can't. Stay. Out.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hot Fuss

if you watch the series you would be more emotionally invested in the characters and you might catch a few things that fans would notice that regular movie-goers would not, but the movie stands on its own nicely.

Huh? If I watched 12 episodes? :lol:

I jest. I completely agree.

But... I didn't like what I saw in the movie to care either way.

As a fanboy of other things, I'm happy that you got to see your favorite characters back on the screen again! :happy:

Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hot Fuss

Meh. Who'd trust the opinion of a fuming, emotional internet geek anyway? Granted, we're all internet geeks. But most of us trust our own opinions more than taking what everyone else is saying and automatically going against it.

Very true. *points finger* GEEK :disgust:

I'm a closeted Geek, thank you very much. :unsure:

Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:22 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hot Fuss

i like how i am some kind of template of what not to do. i made one post over a month ago insulting someone and apparently thats all that matters. Perhaps i should search through every posters history and find a post where they insulted someone and just constantly bring that one post up, i mean, that seems fair, right?
Anway, i will just have to relish in Serenity's critical acclaim and find some way to move past a few of these C's that turn to F's and B's that turn to F's all in a period of less than a weekend, not out of hate for the fans, but because the ones who voted that way had an epiphany that the movie was pure shit.

I dont know how many more "wow, that hoban is an ass" crap. i made ONE insult to someone over a month ago about their opinion on the Serenity trailer. all the subsequent arguments about Serenity were arguments where a bunch of people were fighting about Serenity. If some people hadn't noticed, there are a few people here who spend a good deal of time going on and on about how Serenity is awful and the rotten tomato reviews mean nothing and the metacritic reviews mean nothing and cinema score is useless and IMDB is tainted by the fans and how the whole world, or the US at least, is conspiring to get Serenity good reviews despite that fact that is, in fact, the worst movie of all time. Worse than Glitter, worse than Bio-Dome, worse than Gigli, yes, it is absolute trash and they are just trying to enlighten the non-believers about the crap that is Serenity.

I went on for a bit there, but i have some pent up anger about the issue because since my argument well over a month ago i have been going out of my way to not insult people or say anything that one person might take as a personal attack on their character or something, but all that matters until the end of time is that one post, apparently.

God, that is so yesterday. Get over it. Really, I'm not holding anything against you.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

A strong A from me.

Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:23 am
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************

Someone mentioned 2 important deaths from the tv series.

Questions. What were these people's status on the tv series.

- The shepard

- The Alliance

- The black villian.

- As they were surprised by Rivers fighting powers. Was she on the tv show and did she develop her powers yet.

- At what point does the movie take place in relation to the tv series.

Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The Shepherd: He was a member of the crew on the series -- a much more important character than he was in the movie.

The Alliance: Same capacity as they were in the movie. A villainous government that always got in the way of Mal and his crew.

The Operative (villain): He wasn't on the show.

River: She was on the show, but it never lasted long enough (15 episodes) to really get into what they did to her. By the end they'd figured out she was psychic, and that's where the movie picks up. They didn't know what she's capable of.

Time frame: Joss Whedon (writer/director) has been quoted as saying the movie takes place six months after Objects in Space (the final episode). However, that doesn't really gel with Mal telling Simon he'd been on the ship for eight months, since Objects in Space was set quite a few months after the pilot episode.

Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:15 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
The Shepherd: He was a member of the crew on the series -- a much more important character than he was in the movie.

The Alliance: Same capacity as they were in the movie. A villainous government that always got in the way of Mal and his crew.

The Operative (villain): He wasn't on the show.

River: She was on the show, but it never lasted long enough (15 episodes) to really get into what they did to her. By the end they'd figured out she was psychic, and that's where the movie picks up. They didn't know what she's capable of.

Time frame: Joss Whedon (writer/director) has been quoted as saying the movie takes place six months after Objects in Space (the final episode). However, that doesn't really gel with Mal telling Simon he'd been on the ship for eight months, since Objects in Space was set quite a few months after the pilot episode.

Cool, thanks for the recap / answers.

Guess with the way they left off, the Alliance will come after you, we are looking at sequels if the BO is there.

Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:21 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

A+

best film of 2005 :biggrin:

Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:48 am
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Just saw it again, and I'm upping my grade to an even more solid A+.

Remarkable film. Best of the year so far.

Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:29 pm
Child Actor

This was a solid B for me. I am a big fan of the series, and the movie felt like a great episode, but one I could have just as easily enjoyed on my 27 inch television. I don't believe I would have enjoyed this nearly as much without having seen the series beforehand. The writing and acting were fine. The fight choreography was adequate. The action/EFX scenes involving spacecraft was subpar.

What I loved most about the movie: Mal, like in the series, does not hesitate to do whatever is needed. Unlike Han, he shot first and makes no apologies for it.

What I didn't like: A few too many one-liners. A few were funny, but too many were a bit flat.

Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:26 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Well, haven't seen it, but anyways, welcome wily, and nice avatar.

Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:54 am
Child Actor

Thanks for the welcome. :happy:

Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

dolcevita wrote:

We welcome your thanks.

Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

wilypueo wrote:

We welcome your thanks.

Wily, don't pay attention to bABA. He's never come up with an original line in his life, and only parodies the posts and threads immediately above him. :tongue:

Anyways, noting your Leone av, there's an International Film Festival going on through the weekend, and FILMO has covered the Spaghetti Westerns in the Italian film thread. He did a write up for Once upon a Time, which is one of his faovrites. We'd love to hear from you too.

Anyways, :whistle: Back to Serenity.

Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:27 pm
Forum General

Seeing part of this again, the death of Hoban Washburne made more sense during the fight scene and then was cemented with the final scene.

With River high profile screen time and the ending pilot scenes, looks like they wanted to move her more into the front seat on the crew for a possible sequel.

Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:23 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

This is the second film I have seen more than once in theaters this year, the other was Sith.

The film I have watched the most in theaters was Love Actually with 4 times, its an outstanding rom com.

Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Better than I expected but in no way the masterpiece some make it out to be. The captain had some funny one-liners. B+

Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Dissapointed slightly. Like the Firefly series, but movie just wasn't as good for me.

C I guess.

Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:49 am
Lord of filth

The problem to me seemed to be that in many ways it felt a lot like an episode of Star Trek, where the crew goes to an alien world, finds something wrong then does "x" thing about it. I thought the reveal of Miranda and what had happened there would have been a little more horrific and gripping, but seeing as how the Alliance has (apparently) done a lot of horrible things to a lot of innocent people, it didn't seem like the main goal was worth getting as emotionally invested in as they were.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that "this is a movie now, not a TV plot, so make your plot worthwhile because you have limited time to make a heavy impact".

The character that I liked the most they killed... so that was a bummer. The main character is okay, he reminds me of Peter Krause a lot. The River girl I really liked her acting but I wasn't too invested in her becoming a killer-ninja at opportune moments... it felt very Buffy to me (which is a bad thing). Chiwetel Ejiofor is cool... there wasn't enough of him. There seems to be a lot of people in this that get seriously mortally wounded and end up surviving.

Special effects were okay... I was confused because in most of the movie there is no sound (which I thought was pretty cool) but in the space scenes, where there is action, there is sound.

The Reavers were horribly realized. I kept thinking of them as Morlocks (from Time Machine book) and they ended up being more silly than threatening.

Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:38 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The villainous government creating the most feared race in the universe -- and said 'verse finding out about it -- eventually bringing about their downfall isn't an "epic" plot?

And there was sound in the space battle because of the ion cloud.

Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:29 pm
Lord of filth

The villainous government creating the most feared race in the universe -- and said 'verse finding out about it -- eventually bringing about their downfall isn't an "epic" plot?

No. Not the way it is presented. And I didn't use the word "epic" either... I said "emotionally invested".

Were they the most "feared" race? Nobody else thought they existed, said a kid in the sequences. Again, this may be something established in the show but not in the film. Also the Alliance isn't destroyed, it still exists at the end of the movie. There is not a lot of mention of any backlash the Alliance has taken.

In the film you get the impression that they attack the outer worlds, that people may or may not think they exist, but it sounds to me like they set up the bulk of the movie establishing the conflict between the Alliance and the independent peoples and how dangerous River is. The Reavers are just some misc. faceless villian that seem pretty inept really (they couldn't even chase down a hovercraft when they had spaceships?).

Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next