Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Serenity (2005) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 47%  47%  [ 22 ]
B 34%  34%  [ 16 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 47

Serenity (2005) 
Hot Fuss

The Dark Shape wrote:
Maximus wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
Maximus wrote:
Oh, and I love how every planet looks like Southern California. Muwhahaha

You know what terraforming is, right? Did you listen to the opening speech?

Or did the "slang" confuse you?

I love it how the fanboys insinuate that I'm stupid because I found the colloquialisms in the movie to be distracting and annoying. Terraforming sure is a weak excuse for having eight planets look like a desert, but that's just me.

Hell, just point out these planets. Lilac (the "bank robbery planet") certainly does. Then you've got Mr. Universe's moon, which is pretty much a CGI model of satellites in exterior shots. Cut to Beaumonde (the "bar fight" planet), which is a pretty big city. Of course there's Haven, which is a mining outpost, so it makes sense to look a bit... barren. We'll of course ignore all the shots in the opening narration -- the ones that clearly show the difference between the Alliance and the "So Cal" planets.

So by my count, there's two planets that meet your little criteria, and a host more that don't. Maybe you skipped number day in Kindergarten.

or maybe people should realize that when a film is a continuation of a previous series, it almost becomes mandatory for people to sit through the opening as that usually does the recap where a lot of things are explained. i dont know about you but even if 8 planets were shown as barren, i think the opening pretty much covered grounds on why those 8 planets were the way they were. so next time, maybe sit through the opening before criticising certain aspects of the film you failed to understand because watching the entire movie was not required to begin withh.

Excuse me, I missed thirty seconds of the movie. I *still* have a reason to criticize this movie, and it is blatantly clear this movie was done extremely cheaply. Do I need to point out better craftsmanship on Enterprise, a UPN TV show? The sets were pretty barren and reeked of being put up in two seconds on a studio back lot. The acting was cheap, too. The director at the institute was a textbook example of cheese acting, down to the overexagerated, whiny performance. Everyone, even the fracking villain, was two dimensional! Not a scrap of character development or a performance beyond that of a cheap movie could be noted. Even the central cast was lacking- most of them wandered around without anything to do, especially the engineer- who left her mouth hang open through half the movie like a clown. The movie was pathetic, and I can't excuse it for being just that.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hot Fuss

Ever seen a film that has the perfect amount of story development, the right amount of twists, depth in character that is just enough and not overboard, the perfect amount of wisecracks and humor, strategic timing for proper emotional or light hearted dialogue delivery, just the right amount of action, understanding between characters, and a director that is able to coordinate all these different things together and create the 'perfect' mix? No???

Well, serenity will be playing at your local theatres for the next coming months.

A+

What twists? What development? Depth? Haha. The captain had an ounce of depth, but other than that? Cheese jokes count as humor? Cliched dialouge? ACTION? You mean those plastic looking ships going at eachother? Buffy-style direction?

Yeah, it's a classic.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Speed Racer

i guess all of us and our 80% (86% cotc) at rotten tomatoes and our 74 at metacritic and Ebert and Roeper and every other person who liked slash loved the movie are all stupid and wrong. We all obviously have no clue what we are talking about, and we should just thank the stars that you came here to show us the way!

yes, that was all quite a bit of sarcasm, no, it wasn't a personal attack on you, i can be sarcastic.

anyway, i think we get it, you hated the movie. it's easy to criticize movies (especially without grounds) and you (that is a you, as in anyone, not you specifically) could take ANYONES favorite movie and rip it apart for reasons that are unsubstantiated. We LOVE the movie, so why do people constantly argue with us about how horrible it is like they are trying to talk sense into us or something?
74 metacritic, A- cinemascore, 80% RT, 86% CotC, millions of fans, DVD sales for the series jumped to #3 on amazon, we are not crazy, there is a reason that we love the movie so much, because it is great and so far most people agree with us (yes, you could go the route that it only made 10mil so many people didn't see it, but the ones that did liked it and the critics loved it, so i can't use people who didn't see it and therefore have no opinion on it as proof that it's a good movie and they also can't be used as proof that it is bad, as box office doesn't equal quality.

Users- 96%
Cinemascore- A
Metacritic- 74%
IMDB- 8.5 (15,619 votes) top 250: #125

I HAVE BEEN A MEMBER HERE SINCE THE FORUMS STARTED
THIS IS JUST A NEWER NAME

1-Serenity
2-Aliens
3-Terminator 2: Judgment Day
4-Scream
5-Drop Dead Gorgeous

Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

I've seen the movie, and it is NOT a good movie. I haven't seen any proof in the movie or in a logical arguement. I'm not joking when I say the movie was terrible and the fanboys are dissillusioned.

The million or so that did see it in theatres are fanboys, that's clear. :shades:

I'm not here to show you the way, and for the 5th time, I'll say I'm glad you had a good time at the movies. I have my reasons for disliking it, and you for liking it. Thats OK, and you need to accept that, too.

Not that I'm giving up. Please, I beg you to show me how this deserves an IMDB score of 8.4 (makes me sick that dishonest fanboys have so much power). I'll be here. Stop touting reviews, too, because that counts for all of 100 opinions, out of 7 billion in the world, on a topic. They don't mean shit to me.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Speed Racer

well how i am supposed to gauge what reviews and whose opinions "mean shit to you"?

you just said that RT and metacritic don't mattter to you, and that IMDB doesn't matter either, so i think i understand.
the only people's opinions who matter are the ones who didn't like Serenity.
you dont care what professionals have to say, you don't care about the A- cinema score, you don't care what sites like IMDB say, all you know is that you are right and there is some conspiracy going on to make Serenity get great reviews and make audiences like it and you are one of the last people who been unaffected left, hold out man, HOLD OUT!!!!

did you catch the sarcasm?

anyway, whatever, its bad, horrible, blah blah blah, can we be done now?

Users- 96%
Cinemascore- A
Metacritic- 74%

1-Serenity
2-Aliens
4-Scream
5-Drop Dead Gorgeous

Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

No, not really. Not until I get an apology for being called stupid because I don't agree with the praise for this movie. I would appreciate some sort of logical arguement for WHY this movie was so fantastic, and why I am so unintelligent for not prasing it....

Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

I'm not joking when I say the movie was terrible and the fanboys are dissillusioned.

Critics are disillusioned fanboys?

Have you seen the IMDb score? 8.7. That was 8.4 before opening weekend, based on the early screenings. Casual people are liking it more than Firefly fans.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:57 pm
Hot Fuss

Maximus wrote:
I'm not joking when I say the movie was terrible and the fanboys are dissillusioned.

Critics are disillusioned fanboys?

Have you seen the IMDb score? 8.7. That was 8.4 before opening weekend, based on the early screenings. Casual people are liking it more than Firefly fans.

Oh, because I'm sure fanboys weren't the ones taking advantage of early polling to vote 10. Yup.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

They sure as hell already voted and weren't plugging in 10s after the fact.

And thanks for completely ignoring my critics point. Guess you just don't need to respond if it shatters your argument, eh?

Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:01 pm
Commander and Chef

bABA wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
Maximus wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
Maximus wrote:
Oh, and I love how every planet looks like Southern California. Muwhahaha

You know what terraforming is, right? Did you listen to the opening speech?

Or did the "slang" confuse you?

I love it how the fanboys insinuate that I'm stupid because I found the colloquialisms in the movie to be distracting and annoying. Terraforming sure is a weak excuse for having eight planets look like a desert, but that's just me.

Hell, just point out these planets. Lilac (the "bank robbery planet") certainly does. Then you've got Mr. Universe's moon, which is pretty much a CGI model of satellites in exterior shots. Cut to Beaumonde (the "bar fight" planet), which is a pretty big city. Of course there's Haven, which is a mining outpost, so it makes sense to look a bit... barren. We'll of course ignore all the shots in the opening narration -- the ones that clearly show the difference between the Alliance and the "So Cal" planets.

So by my count, there's two planets that meet your little criteria, and a host more that don't. Maybe you skipped number day in Kindergarten.

or maybe people should realize that when a film is a continuation of a previous series, it almost becomes mandatory for people to sit through the opening as that usually does the recap where a lot of things are explained. i dont know about you but even if 8 planets were shown as barren, i think the opening pretty much covered grounds on why those 8 planets were the way they were. so next time, maybe sit through the opening before criticising certain aspects of the film you failed to understand because watching the entire movie was not required to begin withh.

Excuse me, I missed thirty seconds of the movie. I *still* have a reason to criticize this movie, and it is blatantly clear this movie was done extremely cheaply. Do I need to point out better craftsmanship on Enterprise, a UPN TV show? The sets were pretty barren and reeked of being put up in two seconds on a studio back lot. The acting was cheap, too. The director at the institute was a textbook example of cheese acting, down to the overexagerated, whiny performance. Everyone, even the fracking villain, was two dimensional! Not a scrap of character development or a performance beyond that of a cheap movie could be noted. Even the central cast was lacking- most of them wandered around without anything to do, especially the engineer- who left her mouth hang open through half the movie like a clown. The movie was pathetic, and I can't excuse it for being just that.

you have every right to not like the movie and not find depth, twists that others that. those can not be discussed cause those are a matter of opinion. on the other hand, you clearly did not miss the first 30 seconds of the movie, you missed quite a bit. you said you started seeing the movie from the point the girl goes all crazy. let me tell you that quite a bit happened before that. my criticism of your comments comes not because you didn't like it but criticized a certain part of the movie related to why 8 planets looked the same .... and that is clearly not the movie's fault, but yours for not stepping inside the film at the time it started and listening to the monologue on how the film pretty much takes place in the outer lying planets, where the initial rebels against the alliance used to live .. an area that was never developed due to that very reason. next time, watch the whole thing. terraforming isn't really sci fi mumbo jumbo.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

baba, I was in the theatre five minutes before the title of the film rolled. How much did I miss? Please, fill me in.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hot Fuss

And thanks for completely ignoring my critics point. Guess you just don't need to respond if it shatters your argument, eh?

I already addressed the point on the critics. Their opinion is pretty much useless to me. I've disagreed plenty of times with them, and I have yet to find a review that enlightens me as to why this movie is soooooo perfect.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Speed Racer

if you are asking for a logical reason why the movie is so good, then why dont you go read all the overwhelmingly positive reviews. Good directing, good acting, good writing, good score, good fx, good story, good characters, and a whole bunch of things that you didnt like while others did.
that IMDB score is another fine example. before the movie opened, when the only people voting on Serenity were "fanboys" and trolls, it had an 8.4 and wasn't in the top 250. AFTER the movie opened, its score went up to 8.7 and is now #149 in the top 250. we are providing you with excellent evidence slash logical reasons why Serenity is a good movie:

Rotten Tomatoes score 80%
Cream of the Crop 86&
Metacritic 74 (which is "generally favorable reviews", which is the highest a movie can get there)
Cinemascore of A-
an 8.4 at IMDB pre-release, and an 8.7 post release and spot 149 in the IMDB Top 250 post release which indicates that non-fans love it also

we keep giving all of these examples of why its great, and you keep just saying "those don't mean anything to me". it is clear that you hate Serenity and nothing we say is going to change that.

Users- 96%
Cinemascore- A
Metacritic- 74%

1-Serenity
2-Aliens
4-Scream
5-Drop Dead Gorgeous

Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The Dark Shape wrote:

I already addressed the point on the critics. Their opinion is pretty much useless to me. I've disagreed plenty of times with them, and I have yet to find a review that enlightens me as to why this movie is soooooo perfect.

We don't have to enlighten you. You didn't like it. Get over it. The fact is that most people are enjoying it, and all these ratings reflect that. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But you're pretending that, yes, this is all a fluke, and in reality the movie clearly sucks and nobody really likes it. That's self-centered, naive, and frankly a bit embarassing on your part.

Jesus, why do people spend so much time talking about what they hate anyway? Be happy. Go see something you like.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:32 pm
Commander and Chef

I came in during the video recording of the break out of the loonie girl.

the entire monologue outlining the premise of the universe this tale is taking place in, which atleast in my opinion, is probably the most important part of a movie when trying to understand the premise of a particular movie, including but not limited to the topography of the area a particular scenes are meant to depict.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

After giving some more thought, I nominate this movie as a turkey in its purest form. Horrible acting, bad production and a story that is pitiful all point to a laugh riot and this is not even a comedy.

D-

Last edited by jb007 on Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

After giving some more thought, I term this movie ias a turkey in its purest form. Horrible acting, bad production and a story that is pitiful all point to a laugh riot and this is not even a comedy.

D-

Quite a drop in 36 hours.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:30 pm
Hot Fuss

jb007 wrote:
After giving some more thought, I term this movie ias a turkey in its purest form. Horrible acting, bad production and a story that is pitiful all point to a laugh riot and this is not even a comedy.

D-

He saw the light.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:31 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

jb007 wrote:

D-

The scene where the shepard dies did it (and the fact I dropped $112 for this turkey)

Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Zingaling wrote:
jb007 wrote:

D-

The scene with the shepard did it (and the fact I dropped $112 for this turkey)

I'd be mad too. ;)

Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:33 pm
Hot Fuss

Quote:
I came in during the video recording of the break out of the loonie girl.

the entire monologue outlining the premise of the universe this tale is taking place in, which atleast in my opinion, is probably the most important part of a movie when trying to understand the premise of a particular movie, including but not limited to the topography of the area a particular scenes are meant to depict.

Okay. I'm sure that was helpful.... I was perfectly capable of understanding what was going on, I just didn't like the execution. It isn't that the story in Serenity is bad (though it's been shot to death in scifi adventure), its the execution of it- the characterization, the direction (which I found to be overwhelmingly pedestrian), the mediocre effects, the music that tried so desperately hard to elicit some sort of emotion (ie the Reavers... WHO found them scary? I found them laughable, and that's about it)

I'm sure the opening monolouge explained the Reavers, etc?

Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hot Fuss

Zingaling wrote:
jb007 wrote:

D-

The scene where the shepard dies did it (and the fact I dropped $112 for this turkey)

Oh, and when they put dead bodies all over the ship? Because they would stay on at sublight speeds, let alone going through a PLANET'S ATMOSPHERE. :wacko:

Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hot Fuss

Maximus wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:

We don't have to enlighten you. You didn't like it. Get over it. The fact is that most people are enjoying it, and all these ratings reflect that. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But you're pretending that, yes, this is all a fluke, and in reality the movie clearly sucks and nobody really likes it. That's self-centered, naive, and frankly a bit embarassing on your part.

Jesus, why do people spend so much time talking about what they hate anyway? Be happy. Go see something you like.

Don't tell me to get over it. I've been attacked constantly for two days for disliking this movie. All I want is some sort of example... proof of the greatness of the film. I've heard "good this, good that", but show me an example? I don't mind appreciating good cinema, I just can't find anything to like?! What was it that you enjoyed so much? Specifically.

I'm not saying its a fluke, but it surely seems to be one of those situations where everyoen gushes over a movie for little explainable reason. Which is fine, I guess.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:37 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

I'd be mad too. ;)

My fault. I dragged a group of seven to this.

My friend drags me to Lord of War (I loved it) and I force him to watch this (he hated it) :disgust:

Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

if you are asking for a logical reason why the movie is so good, then why dont you go read all the overwhelmingly positive reviews. Good directing, good acting, good writing, good score, good fx, good story, good characters, and a whole bunch of things that you didnt like while others did.
that IMDB score is another fine example. before the movie opened, when the only people voting on Serenity were "fanboys" and trolls, it had an 8.4 and wasn't in the top 250. AFTER the movie opened, its score went up to 8.7 and is now #149 in the top 250. we are providing you with excellent evidence slash logical reasons why Serenity is a good movie:

Rotten Tomatoes score 80%
Cream of the Crop 86&
Metacritic 74 (which is "generally favorable reviews", which is the highest a movie can get there)
Cinemascore of A-
an 8.4 at IMDB pre-release, and an 8.7 post release and spot 149 in the IMDB Top 250 post release which indicates that non-fans love it also

we keep giving all of these examples of why its great, and you keep just saying "those don't mean anything to me". it is clear that you hate Serenity and nothing we say is going to change that.

The IMDb score is high because the only people who HAVE seen it are the fanboys, essentially. Sure, you have people like me desperately trying to salvage any dignity IMDb has by voting 0, but the point stands that this hasn't gotten enough exposure to warrant that high of a rating. It is NOT one of the best movies of all time, pure and simple. Anyone that wants to argue that has lost all credit. You might love it, but don't ever dare try and pretend this picture deserves those type of rankings.

Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next