Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Snatch 

What grade would you give this film?
A 92%  92%  [ 11 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

Snatch 
College Boy Z

Post Snatch
Snatch

Quote:
Snatch is a crime film written and directed by British filmmaker Guy Ritchie, featuring an ensemble cast. Set in the London criminal underworld, the film contains two intertwined plots: one dealing with the search for a stolen diamond, the other with a small-time boxing promoter named Turkish (Jason Statham) who finds himself under the thumb of a ruthless gangster known as Brick Top (Alan Ford).

The film features an assortment of colourful characters, including Irish Traveller Mickey O'Neil (Brad Pitt), Russian-Uzbek ex-KGB agent and arms-dealer Boris "the Blade" Yurinov (Rade Šerbedžija), professional thief and gambling addict Frankie "Four-Fingers" (Benicio del Toro), American gangster-jeweler "Cousin Avi" (Dennis Farina), and bounty hunter Bullet-Tooth Tony (Vinnie Jones). It is also distinguished by a kinetic direction and editing style, a circular plot featuring numerous ironic twists of chance and causality, and a fast pace.

The film shares themes, ideas and motifs with Ritchie's first film, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. It is also filmed in the same visual style and features many of the same actors, including Jones, Statham, and Ford.

Last edited by zingy on Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:23 am
Veteran

Come on people! has nobody seen this great funny film? come on it has to be one of Brad Pitts coolest roles. And it has an kick @ss cast!

Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW
now we know

One of Brad's best films and also Jason Statham's best role. Better than 'Lock Stock' and probably, no, infact definately Guy Ritchie's best film.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:50 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

Movies like Pulp Fiction make you forget you are watching a film and make you feel as though you are seeing real, albeit strange, but nonetheless real characters at work. Snatch does that as well. Most of us have very different lives. We all punch the clock, go to work, play with the dog, watch sports and whatever else it is that we do during our day. But in Guy Ritchie's labrynthian like tail, no one is normal. No one does things that the rest of us would do. They are all bound by the Tarantinoesque laws of fiction. And those laws dictate that if there is trouble to find, they find it and if there is a situation that calls for impropriety, it is here, in this film.

Snatch is a lot of fun. When you inhabit a world that shares it's space with guys like Bullet Tooth Tony, Doug The Head, One Punch Mickey, Frankie Four Fingers, Boris The Blade, Turkish, Brick Top and Cousin Avi, you can't help but to have fun. The story is quite complicated and by the time you figure out exactly what is going on, a different angle to the story is introduced. But in some way or another, every member of this story is involved in one way or another, with a diamond that has 84 carats to it. Frankie Four Fingers steals it, Boris the Blade wants it, so does cousin Avi as does does Bullet Tooth Tony. Turkish gets messed up in it somehow and then so does BrickTop, which brings in One Punch Mickey. Confused, you ain't seen nothing yet.

What it comes down to though is that you don't really have to know exactly who fits where in the story. I stopped keeping track of everyones importance about a third of the way through the film. I was having too much fun. Once again we are treated to Benetio Del Toro's mastery of accents as this time he brandishes a Turkish/Russian/Arabian accent. The man really is the best actor out there today. Too bad he dies early in the film, I would have liked to see more of him. Then we are introduced to Brad Pitt and he has a "whoknowswhatkindof" accent. As they say in the film, it is not Irish, not English, just Pygmie. Half the time you have no idea what he saying and the other half you are just barely making it out. But he is incredibly humourous and when he is hard to understand is some of the best humour in the film. Brad Pitt is one hell of an under rated actor but with films like this, he is sure to get a little recognition.

Snatch is violent and it is mean but it does it so stylishly that it becomes fun. I think this is a Pulp Fiction like clone. It is not as good, nothing ever will be, but it is a worthy imitator. Having fun at the movies is what being there is all about. Snatch never forgets that.

9 out of 10- One of the films that will probably make my ten best at the end of 2001.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:44 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

B

Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:59 am
Draughty

A lot of fun, possibly Pitt's most appealing role, in a supporting part. Statham is the main star and he does a good job anchoring the movie. B+

I liked this better than Lock, Stock.

Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Pretty great. Brad Pitt nails it.

Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:16 am
All Star Poster

A+

Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:55 am
Extraordinary

It's very good, but not up to the calibre of Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels -- that film is an all-time classic...

Whatever happened to Guy Ritchie anyways?

Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:53 am
On autopilot for the summer

It's very good, but not up to the calibre of Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels -- that film is an all-time classic...

Whatever happened to Guy Ritchie anyways?

He married Madonna and made Swept Away, Ahhh, and Revolver, which didnt really hit the states.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:07 am
Motherfuckin' sexual

Totally fucking cool. The one liners in this thing are hysterical. Definite A

Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Snatch
I love this movie. It's just so damn fun and entertaining. It's as stylish as hell, but it never feels pretentious or artsy, and the story is convoluted but not confusing. It's funnier than most straight comedies (gotta love that British humour!) and the cast is terrific. Brad Pitt steals the show, but Statham, Farina, Del Toro, Vinnie Jones and everyone else are just as memorable. Some bits of it are a tad too serious (the part with Pitt's caravan going up in flames specifically), and it's a fairly shallow film, but it's insanely rewatchable and immensely enjoyable.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:48 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Love this movie. Funny, smart, and great characters. I love the style as well.

A+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:17 pm
College Boy Z

Definitely loved it.

Brad Pitt is phenomenal here, and the rest of the cast is so great. Stylish, hilarious and completely entertaining.

I didn't like Guy Ritchie's most recent Revolver nearly as much, but that was solid. I'm looking forward to RockNRolla a lot now.

Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:14 am
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

I don't know what to say about this movie, I mean it wil never ben conisdered one of the greatest movies of all time but it still is great. I think a lot of it has to be that Ritchie uses gags and techniques not usually seen in crime movies, so it seems fresh and original. Ritchie has found is niche and molded his own style, I can honestly say that before Snatch and Lock, Stock, I never saw a movie like them.

I HATE MICHAEL BAY

Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:39 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Fairly entertaining and one of the few films I can handle Statham in. It's also very very funny.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]