Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 3:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 

What grade would you give this film?
A 82%  82%  [ 23 ]
B 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 28

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 
Extraordinary

Post Re: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
You know, all of the elements of this film are fantastic, but I do have one major qualm with it: I felt Nurse Rached's at the end, although brilliantly played by Louise Fletcher, went over the line with regards to her character. Before that, it felt like she was genuinely interested in the patients' health, but had a rather rigid philosophy as to how to achieve that. At the end, she just becomes pure evil. The film insists on making points bigger than it should. Still, very entertaining but disturbing picture of human collapse (and growth) within a mental institution. A classic, but not one of my all time favorites.

A

Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:23 pm
Forum General

it is not a film I enjoyed watching a 2nd time, but I found it to be a disturbing yet great film.

Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:41 pm
Profile WWW

snack wrote:
You know, all of the elements of this film are fantastic, but I do have one major qualm with it: I felt Nurse Rached's at the end, although brilliantly played by Louise Fletcher, went over the line with regards to her character. Before that, it felt like she was genuinely interested in the patients' health, but had a rather rigid philosophy as to how to achieve that. At the end, she just becomes pure evil. The film insists on making points bigger than it should. Still, very entertaining but disturbing picture of human collapse (and growth) within a mental institution. A classic, but not one of my all time favorites.

A

But then that is the point of Nurse Rached, she really doesn't care for the patient's health, she cares more about herself and absolute control. And honestly it might not be pure evil, but I actually know people like Nurse Rached in real life, there are people like that who are so control hungry that they need to put down people like that to put them in their place, and many time it happens subconciously.

Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:42 pm
Extraordinary

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
snack wrote:

A

But then that is the point of Nurse Rached, she really doesn't care for the patient's health, she cares more about herself and absolute control. And honestly it might not be pure evil, but I actually know people like Nurse Rached in real life, there are people like that who are so control hungry that they need to put down people like that to put them in their place, and many time it happens subconciously.

I know that what she's supposed to be portrayed as being, but I just didn't buy it. Beforehand, there's no evidence that she's only control hungry for the sake of herself, but for how she feels the patients will most likely improve. I guess maybe it's not supposed to be until that final showdown that she reveals herself for what she truly is, and than watching it recursively you can pinpoint all of her actions as malicious, so I'll need to watch it again to make up my mind.

Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:05 pm

I thought the scene this scene showed her selfish controlling side: the heads-that-be decide that McMurphy was not insane and should be sent back to the work farm, but then Nurse Rached with a slight smile states she wants for him to stay.

Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:52 am
Extraordinary

I thought the scene this scene showed her selfish controlling side: the heads-that-be decide that McMurphy was not insane and should be sent back to the work farm, but then Nurse Rached with a slight smile states she wants for him to stay.

I thought that scene could be taken either way. It works both as evidence that she's a controlling bitch, but also that she's willing to self-sacrifice and help him (with the assumption that she felt he should be there due to his mental condition). After knowing the final scene, the first option is the obvious answer, but still, I felt there should I have been more definitive build up that she wasn't working for the patients' interest before that final scene. Maybe I just like Louise Fletcher too much to that easily dismiss her as a bitch.

Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:26 pm

Watch it again as it is hard to truly appreciate her performance on the first viewing. There are so many subtleties to her performance that in my opinion make her performance one of the best of all time. From her slight smiles, to her piercingly controlling eys. To her almost mock-proper stances, everything just blends wonderfully into the ultimate bitch.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:02 am

Yeah, thank you to trixster and yoshue and loyal, and whoever else pushed me to stop watching every modern piece of shit that ever came out, and track back through decades of film, it's a very....rewarding? well certainly a very educational experience.
This has some of the best acting I've seen. Not quite to the caliber of the defining "All About Eve" but that is probably the only film I would say has a definitively better cast. The directing is pretty excellent, all throughout the film, it really draws in the emotional aspects and makes the entire thing extremely relatable, which is quite an accomplishment since your watching a bunch of physopaths run around a mental hospital. It retains a steady amount of humor, but the emotional poignancy is where the film excels. It truly is a great film, with layers of depth, and is every bit as good as the hype makes it seem.
10/10 (not on my top 10 of all time but not too far off)

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:39 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Loved it, however Sometimes a Great Notion was a better novel (top 10 of 20th century, perhaps), though a crappier film.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:43 am
Profile WWW
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

I love Milos Forman. Amadeus is one of my favorite movies, but I just cannot get into this movie. I have tried numerous times but something about it, i do not know what, but something does not click with me.

I HATE MICHAEL BAY

Fri May 01, 2009 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
---------

Gets by on its fantastic performances. There didn't seem to be a plot or much of a theme, but I still couldn't take my eyes of it. All of the patients were so likable (I couldn't believe how many famous actors were in there!) and Nicholson does what he's so great at. I expected Ratchet to be *slightly* more evil, as all of the patients feared her, when the only real exposure that had to her were in the "meetings." Maybe I need to watch it a time or two more, but I feel it's a great movie, just not one of the greatest ever made.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:41 pm
We had our time together

Just watched it again and I love love love it. This is a perfect film. Jack Nicholson is a god here. I can safely say that Nurse Ratched is in the top 3 of movie characters I despise the most. Fletcher is so good at being this bitch, I wouldn't mind seeing a whole movie where that women just gets hurt. And despite wanting so so badly for her to get what she deserves when Nicholson trys to kill her, I can't help but grin like an idiot a few moments later when the Chief escapes. That's a wonderful sequence and the perfect ending. It's a timeless classic, no matter how many times I see it, it always manages to get me emotionally invested and my eyes glued to the screen from second one.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:35 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Post Re:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
A-

It gets even better on repeat viewings, IMO. My only real complaint was as trixster has said that ouise Fletcher's character seemed somewhat underworked, I never really bought her as the hugely mean and nasty person she was supposed to be. The cast is great and Nicholson delivers one of the three best performances in his career (of those I have seen). The ending is very powerful.

If she would be more wicked, more nasty then her charatcer would have not been so believable. She is one of those people in life that are the real kind of evil. She is a bitch, she has control over the people, and doesn't think highly of the ward members. She enjoys control and thinks confomrity and degradtion is the remidy for the patients. She is just so subtle, so eerie, so real. She isn't some nasty villain that twirls their mustache while holding the bomb, not the loud angry villain, not the Hitler who commands people at their will, she is the real villain in life. The one teacher at school who cencors your hard work. The one that tells you can't do that. The one parent who you can never please. She is that, a true villain, and she is so subtle about it that unless you under stand the world of anti-conformity, anti-conservative, you would not understand why she is so subtle. Read the book and you will hate her even more.

This. Well said.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

And this has probably the best supporting cast ever. I thought especially the actor playing Cheswick did a tremendous job.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Not to mention...

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2