Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 

What grade would you give this film?
A 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
B 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
D 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
F 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10

College Boy Z

Post Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Quote:
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a 1998 film adaptation of Hunter S. Thompson's 1971 novel Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream. The film, directed by Terry Gilliam, stars Johnny Depp as Raoul Duke and Benicio del Toro as Dr. Gonzo.

Previous attempts to adapt the book into a film included Jack Nicholson and Marlon Brando as Duke and Gonzo. At one point, Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi were considered for the duo; John Cusack was also almost cast. Animator/filmmaker Ralph Bakshi, Martin Scorsese, and Oliver Stone all tried unsuccessfully to direct an adaptation. Thompson met Depp and was convinced no one else could play him. Filmmaker Alex Cox was eventually hired to direct with Depp and Del Toro committed to starring in the film, but the filmmaker had "creative differences" with Thompson over the script treatment as documented in the documentary Breakfast with Hunter. Gilliam was subsequently hired and made the film with the writer's approval.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was a box office failure, grossing US$10.6 million at the North American box office, well below its $18.5 million budget. It has since become a cult classic due in large part to its release on DVD, including a Special Edition released by The Criterion Collection.

Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:08 am
We had our time together

One of the weirdest movies I've ever seen. Some really awesome dialogues. Depp and Del Toro were made for this parts. A

Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:09 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

It's two hours of Depp and del Toro staggering about -- and I hated it.

Hunter S. Thompson may be an interesting guy with an interesting life story, but this film is so enraptured by his behavior and so unconcerned about the bigger picture of all this that, in the end, it's pretty despicable.

I'm having lots of moral issues with films lately.

D

Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:00 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

What a true gem this movie is. Depp's display is easily the best he's ever given and Gilliams trademark handiwork lances every scene. The source novel is a lurid descent into drug addiled maddness and this film captures it perfectly. So many great scene's Bat Country, The Lizards, the insane final drug trip and the famous "Wave" speech woven into the movie as well as it ever could. Yes if one was to be honest there isn't any real story more a series of vignettes loosly attacted to the next and for large sections Depp and Del Toro's dialogue is comlete gibberish but for me it just adds to the movies brilliance. A great snapshot of drug fueled 60s burning out in one last big trip.

A+

Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:05 am
We had our time together

Post Re: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Easily one of the most overlooked films ever. I've seen it countless times by now and it's always a ride. Depp was never better than here.

Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:55 am
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

I got about 1/3 of the way through and turned it off. From what I saw, I'd give it a D. Some of the imagery was cool but I quickly tired of the mumbling drunkard/drug addict main characters.

Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:56 pm
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

I loved it.

A-

Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:47 pm
Cream of the Crop

Riggs wrote:
Easily one of the most overlooked films ever. I've seen it countless times by now and it's always a ride. Depp was never better than here.

I agree. This movie is a completely wild ride. I have it on HD DVD and it's pretty awesome in high def. It has one of my favorite endings ever. I love how they rolled the credits into the horizon along the road while "Jumpin' Jack Flash" plays and Depp is on his high speed burn from Vegas back to L.A. There's lots of great humor and both Depp and Del Toro show how brilliant they are. :thumbsup:

Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:48 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

It has moments, but trying to shoot Hunter S. Thompson is a fool's errand. Still, points for trying.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:14 pm

Um yeah it was kind of brilliant, and oddly accurate on drug depictions. A wild and crazy film that grabs your eyes balls and sucks them into a world that is crazy cool and crazy in general. It is a film who's purpose is deeply clouded by a story that is completely different than it appears. I love its ambiguity, and its style above all.

A+

Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:31 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
I like this film in the same way I like 'Dazed and Confused' (the film). - 9/10.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:37 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Pretty much brilliant.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:44 pm
You must have big rats

trixster wrote:
Pretty much brilliant.

Pretty much agreed. I recently had the opportunity to see it in a theatre which was a great experience (though I have seen the film several times before and own the Criterion DVD).

Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:45 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]