Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The 40-Year-Old Virgin 

What grade would you give this film?
A 45%  45%  [ 25 ]
B 34%  34%  [ 19 ]
C 16%  16%  [ 9 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 56

The 40-Year-Old Virgin 
Sbil

Post The 40-Year-Old Virgin
The 40-Year-Old Virgin

Quote:
The 40-Year-Old Virgin is a 2005 American screwball comedy film written and directed by Judd Apatow and co-written by the film's lead star, Steve Carell, though the film itself features a great deal of improvised dialogue. It also stars Catherine Keener, Romany Malco, Seth Rogen (who was also the co-producer), Jane Lynch, and Paul Rudd, as well as Leslie Mann (Apatow's wife) and Nancy Walls (Carell's wife) in small roles.

The film received its general North American theatrical release on August 19, 2005 and was released on region 1 DVD on December 13, 2005.

The 40-Year-Old Virgin is rated R for "pervasive sexual content, language, and some drug use".

Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:12 am
Commander and Chef

i'll write a review some other time but virgin was probably the funniest movie i've ever seen. boo Dolce!!
i can't get over the fact that there wasn't one moment during the movie that i didn't find myself amused.

Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I'll sum up my thoughts quickly. This is hands down the funniest movie of the year. It also gets bonus points for featuring The Greatest American Hero theme song, and for the dance number at the end.

A

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:31 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Ultra-Hilarious!
This is the funniest movie of the year.

It is ultra-freakin'-hilarious. Not only that, it's a romantic comedy! And not only that it's a great romantic comedy!! Oh, and did I mention, it's ultra-hilarious!!!

It was so funny, in fact, that I and the audience I saw it with, barely had time to catch our breath from non-stop laughing. People were literally gasping for air. I laughed so hard that I (unfortunately) wet my pants.

This is one funnnnnnnnnnnnnnyyy movie.

6 out of 5.

Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:36 am
Extraordinary

boo Dolce!!

OMG - this can't be happening! dolcevita is the poster here at WOKJ that I have the utmost repect for. dv's opinions especially in the more esoteric regions of the sub-forum of "Foreign and Independent Film" is impeccable.

But tonight, I have read her review of The 40 Year Old Virgin...

I am aghast. How?!? How could someone so seemingly astute miss the perfection that was this movie. What life experiences did we not share? GOOD GOD - is it a strictly gender thing!!!?!

Right now I can barely type the username of dolcev...

Gaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!

:whaa:

Last edited by Bradley Witherberry on Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:48 am
Pure Phase

Equal parts sweet romantic comedy and drop dead hilarious gross-out comedy. One of the funniest films of the year!

A

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:48 am
Extraordinary

You know you're in trouble when both Bradley and bABA disagree with you. :unsure:

http://www.worldofkj.com/reviews/Galia/40YOV.php

Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:05 am
Extraordinary

Geesh! I was bored off my butt. :tongue:

You know you're in trouble when both Bradley and bABA disagree with you. :unsure:

http://www.worldofkj.com/reviews/Galia/40YOV.php

The question is why?

:poke:

Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:23 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

The funniest comedy of 2005 so far! It was really hilarious and quite sweet from beginning to end. I loved it!

Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:35 am
Profile YIM
Cream of the Crop

Just got back from seeing 40YOV.... and one of the most entertaining movie experiences I've had this year!

This movie was *HILARIOUS*! There wasn't a moment I wasn't laughing. I even missed some minor dialogue because of all the laughter.

It was a great story with *awesome* humor that was just brilliant.

And then that finale... WOW!

As a 20-year-old virgin, I really appreciated the way things worked out with the film, especially the fact that Andy remained a virgin 'til his wedding night. The stereotypes weren't too exaggerated, and I appreciated that. Andy was, however, definitely a very major case of nerdiness, much worse than even I am (which made me feel really good about myself, LOL).

So, yeah, I was able to connect with the lead character but at the same time feel good that I wasn't quite like him.

Great movie, great movie experience... just awesome.

Solid A.

Joy

Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:53 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Wow, these reviews are damn good. I'm measuring this up to Wedding Crashers, which is my second favorite movie of the year, so it's got high expectations already.

How is Steve Carell as a lead? I always figured him to be the hilarious supporting guy. Although, he did convince me with "The Office", so...

Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:14 am
Cream of the Crop

Well, I don't know if this matters, but I hated Wedding Crashers and LOVED 40-Year-Old Virgin. To me, 40YOV was what WC *wanted* to be and failed at.

But that's just me.

I thought Steve was a very compelling lead, with a very believable, lovable character that you just can't help liking. You find yourself laughing with him more than you laugh at him. He was great.

Joy

Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:42 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Good movie but I won't go as far as most above - bettest movie I have ever seen this year or ever.

Thought it was good - most of the jokes were good - others were pretty stupid and lame - I can see how Dolce was alittle turned off.

Based on the above saying it was the best comedy of the year - I disagree > Wedding Crashers for me.

Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:35 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

just got back from seeing it :D A :D funnier then WC and better overall.
i luved that he didn't lose it till after the wedding.
lol the supporting actors/actresses were BRILLANT! :lol:
it seemed like the funnies never stopped coming. i haven't laugh as hard and long since that mary movie a long time ago.

Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:31 am
Indiana Jones IV

Absolutely hilarious. I enjoyed every second of it.

The drunk-driving scene had me howling ... probably my favorite scene in the movie, although there were dozens that made me laugh out loud. (did anyone else think they did an excellent job portraying drunk people?)

Definitely recommend this for everyone.

A

Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:59 am
Where will you be?

Absolutely hilarious. I enjoyed every second of it.

The drunk-driving scene had me howling ... probably my favorite scene in the movie, although there were dozens that made me laugh out loud. (did anyone else think they did an excellent job portraying drunk people?)

Definitely recommend this for everyone.

A

I'd completely agree, films often make drunk people out to be completely retards that can't even speak, but this one really nailed it. There's tons of really quotable lines in the movie, but next time I need to bring a notepad and write them down, haha. A

Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:01 pm
Mod Team Leader

Very funny and very sweet. Catherine Keener is awesome to watch as welwl. Not only is she hot, but she is a very fine actress.

8/10

Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

a real R rated movie. I hated Wedding Crashers. It was just stupid. This was real comedy. A

Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:33 pm
Team Kris

Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:19 pm
loyalfromlondon

It was hilarious enough as a collection of skits, but this tried to be something more and failed. The characters all irritated me, and the story was an example of high concept, poor execution. If they had just stuck with the comedy, it would have worked, as the romance - in my opinion - fell flat.

C+

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:58 am
College Boy Z

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen in my entire life, basically.

In fact, it kinda puts Wedding Crashers to shame. There's just so many memorable lines in this film, so many incredibly hilarious moments, and all the characters were downright perfect, from Steve Carell to Paul Rudd (both who must be in more movies, ASAP). Catherine Keener was good, too.

I don't think I've laughed this hard since, like, Team America, and I thought this was a lot funnier than that.

A well-deserved A.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:44 pm
je vois l'avenir

An A from me also, it was a perfect comedy.

Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:03 pm
New Server, Same X

Wow, I feel a little left out of the loop on all these "best comedy ever" and "A!!" reviews, but this film is still pretty awesome. In a year where most comedies range from mediocre (Monster-in-Law) to just plain awful (The Wedding Date, Bewitched), Virgin is an incredibly welcome addition with loads of laughs. Carell is the movie, but the supporting cast (as well as Catherine Keener) stand up well with Carell, and it's just an all-around great movie. It runs just a bit long, and there are times when I'm supposed to laugh but didn't, but it's still great. I'll give it a B+ for now, but it's possible it could be higher upon second viewing.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:39 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Seeing Andy reading a Marvel comic, and having a Sue Storm magnet on his fridge, and a framed poster of her, as well as one of the Fantastic Four fighting the Hulk, and seeing the Iron-Man and Spider-Man toys, while only seeing one piddly little DC character toy (Aquaman) was pretty unrealistic, because everybody knows that the DC fans are the virgins.

I swear, I had all those toys, and if I would have known they could be sold for that much, I would have never taken them out of the box. I had the planet of the Apes Dr. Zauis and the Oscar Goldman, too. (My brother had Steve Austin, because he was our mom's favorite. :cry: )

The 40 Year Old Virgin was funny at times, but I never found it hysterically so, but it was a nice way to kill 2 hours. This definitely is a case of internet exaggerating, or else a bunch of people need to rent some 80's comedies to see what truely great comedy is. It was enjoyable, but ultimately, forgetable fare. It's definitely not as good as Wedding Crashers, either from the comedy or the romance POV. I did like seeing Elizabeth Banks as a blonde. (She plays J. Jonah Jameson's secretary in the Spider-Man movies.)

B

Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:21 pm

B

Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next