Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Titanic 

What grade would you give this film?
A 70%  70%  [ 54 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 11 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 8 ]
D 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 77

Titanic 
La Bella Vito

The only thing I liked about this movie was the visual effects, which I thought were incredible, and very well done. It also had very beautiful cinematography, and the score was brilliant. The story is okay, but nothing special. I would have to say it is very overrated, and not one of my favorite films, but it is okay.

C+

Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:41 am
Profile YIM WWW
Romosexual!

great action,love story,special effects and humor.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:43 am
College Boy Z

Titanic, that #1 highest grossing movie of all-time, is a tough one to grade.

On the one hand, it is, indeed, one of the best movies ever made in terms of quality. From the fantastic performances to the top-notch visuals, you can't help but James Cameron some credit for the film.

But, the film can be cheesy at times. "I'm flying, Jack!" I would have just told her, "STFU, Rose!" :)

I'm not a big fan of love stories, but this movie is just as good as it gets when it comes to a love story. It's an amazing experience to see the film for the first time, although I was about 8 and couldn't appreciate the movie then like I do now, seeing it after 8 years.

It's a classic, I'll tell you that much. A very long classic, but classic, indeed. A

Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:21 pm
You must have big rats

On the one hand, it is, indeed, one of the best movies ever made in terms of quality. From the fantastic performances to the top-notch visuals, you can't help but James Cameron some credit for the film.

But, the film can be cheesy at times. "I'm flying, Jack!" I would have just told her, "STFU, Rose!" :)

I'm not a big fan of love stories, but this movie is just as good as it gets when it comes to a love story. It's an amazing experience to see the film for the first time, although I was about 8 and couldn't appreciate the movie then like I do now, seeing it after 8 years.

It's a classic, I'll tell you that much. A very long classic, but classic, indeed. A

=D>

I hoped you'd like it as much.

And now go and rewatch L.A. Confidential! I wonder which one of the two will you find better (both were nominated in the same year).

Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Zingaling wrote:

=D>

And now go and rewatch L.A. Confidential! I wonder which one of the two will you find better (both were nominated in the same year).

Yes, sir. :shv:

Just for the record, Titanic is not Cameron's best movie. Aliens was, still is, and will always be his best work. :)

T2 is a close second, though.

Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:17 am
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Zingaling wrote:

=D>

Yes, sir. :shv:

Just for the record, Titanic is not Cameron's best movie. Aliens was, still is, and will always be his best work. :)

T2 is a close second, though.

Once again, I (almost) completely agree with you.

Despite my love for Titanic, it's only #3 for Cameron. The top spot would go to T2 and right behind it (really close) is Aliens. Then Titanic follows.

Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:21 am
Profile WWW
je vois l'avenir

I have seen this about 10 times and love it more each time I see it.

A+

----Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince)

A Lonely Person is at Home Everywhere.

Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:21 am
The French Dutch Boy

A+. The greatest love film of all time, and is personally ranked as my #1 film of all-time. A masterpiece.

PEACE, Mike ;)

Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:34 am
Hot Fuss

A+. The greatest love film of all time, and is personally ranked as my #1 film of all-time. A masterpiece.

PEACE, Mike ;)

Yay! It's one of my favorites, too. It's one of those loveable movies.

Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

There is so much stupid hatred going on about this movie, it isn't even funny. What is funny, however, that this hatred comes from the people who made this movie the huge success it is now.

Now admittedly, I am not a big fan of DiCaprio as well. In fact, I dislike him quite a bit. Nonetheless, he delivers a decent (if not great) performance in this movie. Everything else in it is right on, though. To start off, technically, this movie is superb. The cinematography, the editing, the sound effects and of course the still impressive visual effects (accomplished with not much CGI and I applaud for that). The movie's score is fabulous and haunting from the second on you hear it at the beginning of the movie. Whenever you hear just the first few tones of it, you are instantly reminded of this movie. Very well-done.

And then there is the story. It's ordinary, clichéd, been done before and yet captivating and magnificent at the same time. Kate Winslet helps that fact a lot. Billy Zane is also good in his role and so is Gloria Stuart. The pacing of the movie is never off and the ending is pitch-perfect. I can't imagine anyone not being touched by this movie even a little bit. It is not one of my absolute all-time favorites, but it is high up on my list.

James Cameron created an epic love story to be remembered for ages to come.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:52 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

dolcevita wrote:
Terminator1997 wrote:
while not bad, it is highly overrated

C+

Yep, I voted C range also, and would give it a C+. It was lavish, but the storytelling was pretty weak. The characters are too easy, the Zane character was so grating I couldn't get into him. He was an easy thing to poke at so that the audiance wouldn't feel bad that technically, Rose was cheating on her fiance. Its all ok when the fiance is a genuine ass who used kids to save himself, and thinks Picasso is a joke.

I think it was ok, I can't say I was offended by it, which is what I reserve D's for, but I just couldn't get that into it either.

I completely agree. The people triumphing this film as "perfect" are sorely misguided. The technical aspects are all fine and dandy, but the script is really, really bad. The love story is a total joke, and there are some truly cringe worthy lines sprinkled throughout the film. The biggest problem with the film, and you touched on this too Galia, is Zane's character. Cameron is trying to make Rose's infidelity a-okay by making Zane an over the top asshole. It's ridiculous. I'd give it a C+ because the technical aspects are too good to ignore, but c'mon folks - this aint' even Cameron's best by a mile.

What an incredible elitist point of view. You can't say that we are misguided makeshit. The character developement in here is perfect and that is an opinion. You can disagree with it, but there are no rioghts and wrongs. Opinions are just that, opinions.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:32 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

makeshift wrote:
dolcevita wrote:
Terminator1997 wrote:
while not bad, it is highly overrated

C+

Yep, I voted C range also, and would give it a C+. It was lavish, but the storytelling was pretty weak. The characters are too easy, the Zane character was so grating I couldn't get into him. He was an easy thing to poke at so that the audiance wouldn't feel bad that technically, Rose was cheating on her fiance. Its all ok when the fiance is a genuine ass who used kids to save himself, and thinks Picasso is a joke.

I think it was ok, I can't say I was offended by it, which is what I reserve D's for, but I just couldn't get that into it either.

I completely agree. The people triumphing this film as "perfect" are sorely misguided. The technical aspects are all fine and dandy, but the script is really, really bad. The love story is a total joke, and there are some truly cringe worthy lines sprinkled throughout the film. The biggest problem with the film, and you touched on this too Galia, is Zane's character. Cameron is trying to make Rose's infidelity a-okay by making Zane an over the top asshole. It's ridiculous. I'd give it a C+ because the technical aspects are too good to ignore, but c'mon folks - this aint' even Cameron's best by a mile.

What an incredible elitist point of view. You can't say that we are misguided makeshit. The character developement in here is perfect and that is an opinion. You can disagree with it, but there are no rioghts and wrongs. Opinions are just that, opinions.

Agreeed.

However, I also think that it isn't Cameron's best, but that only because he managed to make two masterpieces of sci-fi cinema that are T2 and Aliens.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:06 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

Oh, I agree Doc. Aliens and T2 are better films in my opinion. Howver both are in my top 25 films of all time...Titanic makes it into my top 50.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

I felt like an idiot when i watched Titanic in the theater.
Everybody was crying and i was almost asleep.
Back in 97 i didn`t pay much atention to movies.If i went to the theater , i just wanted to be intertained.
I didn`t care about how great the visual efects were or the god damn cinematography.
But then some idiot spoted an iceberg and after that the movie got interesting.
So , until Titanic starts to sink , i give it a D- .
But when it does , it`s a B+ .

And yes , Cameron`s best movies are still Aliens and T2.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:09 pm
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

Titanic is one of the most abused successful films in history (except probably The Phantom Menace). And although I don't rate Titanic nearly as high as many of you, it is really a shame that Titanic is now hated by so many (after being so loved).

Titanic has many pros and and some cons. The things that were done well were done brilliantly. The special effects are some of the best ever. You will be able to watch this movie 20 years from now and it will still look top notch. The drama after the boat hits the iceberg is some of the best I have ever seen in a movie. The pure fear that is portrayed by all of the pasengers is amazing. When Jack and Rose are climbing to the mast right before it sinks, is one of the most dramatic scenes of any movie I have ever seen. I truly felt what the passengers were thinking, and not many movies can make me feel that.

However, the acting in this movie was only a little above average for me. The whole premise for old Rose's story telling I think was really stupid (A multimillion dollar underwater venture is not going to ship out someone to the ship to hear a day long story like she told. They would ask where the necklace was, she would either say "i have it," "for a price," or something else along those lines). It could definitly happen, I just think it was a stupid way of doing it. I also think everything pre iceberg could have been sped up a little bit. Its not that they hour and a half before the iceberg didn't serve a good purpose in the movie, it is more that it is just boring. They serve the purpose that is necessary, but it is just boring, and that is the unfortunate side affect of going the direction they did with Titanic.

Now obviously the thing that I have problems with the movie are very minor, and the great parts of this movie are truly great. So I give this movie a B+.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Good luck finding a bigger Kate Winslet booster than myself. Yet, I don't really like her here, in the role that made her known throughout the world. Too mannered (the dialogue doesn't help), and she's done better American accents. I just don't believe her, not for a second.

On the other hand, you have Leonardo DiCaprio knocking it *right out of the fucking park*. His is a great, joyous performance completely deserving of the accolates it did-and didn't-get. The concept of the "movie superstar" becoming one overnight because of one role doesn't happen nearly as often as people think; it usually takes longer, with publicists and tabloids being needed to seal the deal. The only two I can really think of in the last decade are Leo and Depp in POTC (maybe Crowe in Gladiator). This isn't a great performance because it's especially nuanced or otherwise grounded; it's not. What it is is a charismatic tour-de-force, a "movie star" home run. (Think Gable, not Brando).

I'm not a big Cameron booster; he's got an amazing eye for visuals and spectacle, yet, aside from Aliens and The Abyss all his films leave me cold (yes, BOTH Terminators). The script here often gets picked on, but it's deserved criticism, I think. A three hour plus movie, and yet nobody ever says anything remotely interesting. The "Picasso" stuff feels like it came from a parody of a period film, not a serious one. The plotting is very by-the-numbers; take a cliched "Romeo and Juliet, star-crossed lovers from opposite sides of the track," smack them in the middle of a disaster, don't forget the jealous lover, and viola!

Billy Zane, never much of an actor (although I do have a soft spot for his PHANTOM movie), doesn't impress here. But he doesn't have a character though. I wish Cameron had cut out any and all scenes featuring his character in the third act. The iceberg is dramatic enough, methinks. No need for the silly gun chase.

Still, though, there are sequences, especially in the midst of the sinking and in the buildup to the voyage, that are phenomenal. Moments here and there evoke a sense of real magic, so I can't completely write it off. But they're, to me, fleeting. And I'm no fan of the "old Rose" bookends. Not at all. They don't work for Spielberg either. *cough* Saving Private Ryan*cough*.

Movie is absolutely gorgeous though, in a "Grand Old Hollywood epic" way.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:41 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

OK, I finally got around to writing a full review for this film. Here it is. Enjoy! :)

--------------------

The tale of the Titanic has always fascinated me and is what I consider to be one of the most interesting events in history. The story of the "unsinkable" ship that sank on a cold April night is one of the most haunting events to ever occur in our culture. Along with Pearl Harbor, it is one of the reasons I started to love history - the fact that there is so much information behind these tragic events and that so many could have been prevented.

James Cameron's epic film TITANIC is and always has been a film that is near and dear to my heart for this reason. The film became the word of mouth sensation that everyone had to see, eventually becoming the highest grossing film ever worldwide - a title it still holds today. I initially didn't jump on the bandwagon at first. The film looked good but it took me a while to actually decide to see it. I saw it in January and was captivated and taken to another world from the first frame. It quickly became my favorite film of all-time and stayed that way through most of my childhood.

Now, I'd like to think that my tastes have matured quite a bit with age. I no longer have a favorite film, and whenever someone asks me I always reply "There are too many to choose." Yet, despite this, TITANIC is still one of the best films ever made and remains on my list of favorite films. Since its release a lot has happened to cinema - advancements were made, stars were born and success stories occured - but none of them have ever really managed to match TITANIC in terms of sheer spectacle. There have been imitators galore, but no film to date has managed to capture the magic that made TITANIC as brilliant as it was.

The story is common knowledge to almost anyone so I'll make this summary brief. Rose DeWitt Bukater (Kate Winslet) is a rich, uptight young woman engaged to Cal Hockley (Billy Zane) and absolutely miserable with her life. She boards the famed Titanic on its maiden voyage along with her mother and Cal, off to America where she will be married. But then, through a series of events, she meets Jack Dawson (Leonardo DiCaprio), a free spirited and kind American with a heart of gold. The two fall madly and passionately in love - but once the ship meets its fate their passionate love story turns into a thrilling tale for survival. Told through the eyes of a much older Rose (Gloria Stuart), it is a film that proves that love really does conquer all.

Ironically, before its release, many thought TITANIC was doomed. It had an outrageous budget, no huge stars and had loads of bad buzz surrounding it. But then it opened and stayed atop the charts for what seemed like an eternity, causing a worldwide phenomenon no one could have imagined. It went on to win a record eleven Academy Awards in addition to its massive box office take.

Because of the film's success, many now poke fun at the film, calling it cheesy and unrealistic. These statements are completely false. The film is brutally real, especially during the final act. Director James Cameron doesn't shy away from showing the incident for what it really was - a shocking and terrifying horror tale. But he also creates a story that the audience can relate to and characters that they can root for despite the ship's inevitable fate. It was Cameron's blend of history and mainstream romance that won audiences over so many years ago and still keeps them interested today.

Cameron does a masterful job here, showing his skill in every department. Everything looks and seems realistic, from the sets to the costumes. His visual style is also present and makes the film so engrossing your eyes are glued to the screen. Much criticism has befallen the screenplay, which Cameron wrote as well. It is understandable why people would feel this way - some of the film's most famous lines are considered cheesy - but I found the script to be powerful and moving, as it should be. In terms of behind the scenes work, credit should be given to composer James Horner for creating one of the most memorable scores in film history and the entire crew for putting the astounding sets together. Even though we have come almost ten years, the film still stands as a milestone in terms of technological achievement.

The performances are all excellent, especially Kate Winslet. She gives a stunning performance full of true emotion. The audience connects with her character instantly and understands her struggle. Winslet proves she is one of the most talented actresses in Hollywood with this role. Leonardo DiCaprio, who became an international superstar after this film's release, is also great and gives his role a sense of boyhood charm as well as strength and character. Members of the massive supporting cast should be noted as well. Billy Zane is convincingly menacing as Cal and Kathy Bates gives the film a few humorous moments as Molly Brown. Bill Paxton and Gloria Stuart are both excellent, especially Stuart, who perfectly imitates the personality that Winslet created for the character. Also fantastic is Victor Garber as Thomas Andrews (the ship's designer) in an understated yet well-done performance.

This film works on so many levels and appeals to the broadest of audiences. The first hour and a half shows the shimmer of light that was found on a dim voyage, mainly focusing on the relationship between Rose and Jack. The last hour and a half is still some of the most terrifying footage filmed to date. The sinking sequences are absolutely perfect - there is no other word to describe them. This is the section of the film which shows how spectacular it really is. You are so involved by this point that it becomes a thrilling and intense watch. Finally, it wraps everything up with an emotional and satisfying ending that won't leave a dry eye in the house.

TITANIC is truly a wonder. Amazing production values, a great cast and a fantastic story make this haunting tale impossible to resist Easily one of the best ever made, this is a film that simply cannot be missed!

10/10 (A+)

Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:52 pm
Profile YIM
Sbil

I was watching most of this again on HBO just now.

The end, where Old Rose dies/dreams of her and Jack "reuniting" on the Titanic while everyone claps always gets me.

Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:45 am
Extraordinary

The end, where Old Rose dies/dreams of her and Jack "reuniting" on the Titanic while everyone claps always gets me.

I'd lie if I said it didn't hit me there. Imagine that the only way you can be with the one you love is in a dream or in death? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:56 am
Profile WWW
Team Kris

Libs wrote:

I'd lie if I said it didn't hit me there. Imagine that the only way you can be with the one you love is in a dream or in death? :cry: :cry: :cry:

That debate is still ongoing by the way. (Since I'm a morbid person, I'm in the death camp. Much more bittersweet that route).

Yeah, I've been watching the HBO airings for the past month now. Still hold up.

A!!!

Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:39 am
life begins now

Wait...she dies? Granted, I haven't seen the film in a few years, but I don't remember that. :unsure:

Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:44 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

Libs wrote:

Wait...she dies? Granted, I haven't seen the film in a few years, but I don't remember that. :unsure:

That's an interpretation (which I agree with).

Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:50 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Libs wrote:

What else is there left for her to do? She went back to the Titanic, why shouldn't she go back to her love?

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:04 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

The thing that has bugged me about the ending though, since it was pointed out to me, is that when she dies she doesn't see like the husband and father of her children that she spent like 80 some odd years with when she dies, she sees the guy she had a couple day fling with, heh. Granted that fling is shown to be the changing point in her life, but still, no love for hubby?

Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:18 pm
Extraordinary

I adore this film.

The thing that has bugged me about the ending though, since it was pointed out to me, is that when she dies she doesn't see like the husband and father of her children that she spent like 80 some odd years with when she dies, she sees the guy she had a couple day fling with, heh. Granted that fling is shown to be the changing point in her life, but still, no love for hubby?

Yay! Another Titanic-lover! :happy:

I feel that the one thing that the last scene showed is that she stayed true to her promise to Jack, that she wouldn't let go (of her dreams, etc.). It's not unusual for people to marry someone who is not their true love; marriage and love aren't always compatible, and marriages begun in love often end up in divorce, when the couple realizes that they no longer love each other, or that the love was never really there.

If you read all of Rose's subsequent life as a fulfillment of her promise to Jack, then it makes sense that, at the end, she would return to him, in a way as a gesture, to say "I didn't let go". I know I'm stretching this, but I saw Jack's outstretched hand as the parallel and contrast to Rose having to let go of his hands on the raft. Whereas her letting go marked the separation between them, her acceptance of his hand marks the (re)union. And indeed, the last scene as a whole is reminiscent of marriage, the marriage they never had. At last, they're together.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next