Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Wedding Crashers 

What grade would you give this film?
A 51%  51%  [ 36 ]
B 31%  31%  [ 22 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 71

Wedding Crashers 
Award Winning Bastard

I saw Wedding Crashers today at the 1:15 showing, and I got to enjoy the theater to myself. I'd heard all the raves, but far too many times, people on the internet exaggerate, and giving an accurate account of a movie takes a back seat to falling in line. As I watched Wedding Crashers, that same olf familiar feeling of internet exaggerations became evident early on. However, as soon as the gang went away to the family home, it went to another level, and had plenty of laughs, but enough sweetness to qualify as a bit of a romcom, which it really was at heart. Definitely a sheep in wolf's clothing.

The two leads did well, even though Vince Vaughn is completely ripping off Rick Ducommun's schtick, and if you don't believe me, just watch The 'burbs sometime. Henry Gibson, who was in both this and The 'burbs would, no doubt, agree. Regardless, Vaughn did fine, and was in some hilarious situations, especially when he was tied to the bed, and when he was telling Wilson about his sock, the one he wore all day and played football in, being shoved in his mouth and duct taped...hahaha. Owen Wilson was very good, too, and if he ever got that horrendous honer of his fixed, he might have a future as a romantic leading man. The supporting cast all did well, as Rachel McAdams, who is quickly becoming a favorite of mine, was radiant and adorable, and her weird little sex charged sister was quite adorable, too. It was also nice to see two Bond alumni in this, with Christopher Walken (A View To A Kill) and Jane Seymour (Live and Let Die) filling out the cast. I also enjoyed the hysterical grandma, who I hadn't seen since another wedding comedy called The Wedding Singer.

Claire's (McAdams) fiance was a good villian in the movie, because I actually pumped my fist when Vaughn laid him out at the end. Very enjoyable comedy!

A-

Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:36 pm
Teh Mexican

Well i didnt find it THAT hilarious, just funny moments here and there. The movie just felt apart in the second hou and the ending wasn't all that great. It was pretty much predictable.

Vince and Owen were great in there roles, McAdams was great too (im starting to like her :wub: , cute girl)

B/B-

The best Comedy of the Year for me, is still The Longest Yard, and Dodgeball and Anchorman are far better IMO!

Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:28 am
La Bella Vito

Much better than I anticipated. I was hearing a lot of stuff about this gay character, and I must say that it was totally exaggerated. I wasn't offended at all. In fact, I thought his character was freaking hilarious! :lol:
All of the actors are in top form here. Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson have great chemistry, and it really helps the film. The beginning is really weak, and doesn't provide very many laughs, but as the film progresses it gets better. Rachel McAdams really does bloom in this film, and it's always a pleasure to see her in any film. There's tons of laughs to be had in this film, and I thought the cameo by Will Ferrell was so memorable and hilarious. It's not just a raunchy comedy. It does have a heart and soul, and although the conclusion is a little cliche it is still very enjoyable. I actually enjoyed this a little more than The 40 Year Old Virgin, but they were both great films in my opinion.

A-/B+

Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:48 am
Profile YIM WWW
We had our time together

Not expected it to love it as much as I did. I found it to be perfectly in every way possible. Vaughn and Wilson are the greatest movie couple in a long long time. One of the funniest movies ever. So many scenes had me laughing long after the scene was over. A

Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:31 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Not expected it to love it as much as I did. I found it to be perfectly in every way possible. Vaughn and Wilson are the greatest movie couple in a long long time. One of the funniest movies ever. So many scenes had me laughing long after the scene was over. A

I agree. Though the ending turns into more a romantic comedy.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I saw this again on the weekend, and I had to bump grade up even more. I think it's one of my favorite comedies of all-time. I'd say it might #2 behind the one and only South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut. I'd say this movie jumped into my top 25 with ease.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:43 pm
We had our time together

Riggs27 wrote:

Yeah but I thought that was very well done too and this time I really liked what Wilson said at the end to her.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Goldie wrote:
Riggs27 wrote:

Yeah but I thought that was very well done too and this time I really liked what Wilson said at the end to her.

I agree as I didn't have any problems with the movie - I just know that some didn't like that part.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:52 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

A+/A

I saw this again on the weekend, and I had to bump grade up even more. I think it's one of my favorite comedies of all-time. I'd say it might #2 behind the one and only South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut. I'd say this movie jumped into my top 25 with ease.

Yes, people just forget how good this movie was.

Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
htm

Didn't care for it nearly as much upon revisiting it. The humor didn't work as well and the whole move felt a bit thin towards the end.

WC: B-
40YOV: B-

Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:52 pm
I'm Batman

Very very disappointed. The movie was just no very funny. A couple of the scenes at the house, and the Will Ferrell part were the only times I laughed the entire movie. I've never much cared for Owen Wilson anyways.

-B (a low one at that)

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:32 am
The Original

8/10

Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:19 pm
I just lost the game

I was not expecting too much from the movie. I would have been suprised if it provided me more with anything more than a decent time-filler for the evening. I was surprised. It's not neccessarily a movie with a lot of over-the-top comedic moments; the humor it has isn't quite crazy. It's crazy enough though. It creates a great balance between realism and craziness. And the movie had heart. Vince Vaughn was great. A.

Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:17 pm
You must have big rats

Wedding Crashers is the funniest movie of 2005, bar none. Not only that, but it is also one of the five funniest movies of this decade so far. It does not have the great, original and witty screenplay of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, but it makes up for that with great situational comedy and a great duo of Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson. I was laughing so much throughout the movie that by the time I left the theatre my chest hurt. Vince Vaughn is definitely the film's highlight. The whole long scene with him tied to the bed was extraordinarely hilarious.

I don't think all of the film worked that well, but really, it still delivered more in comedy than 90% of films do nowadays and on top of that it provided us with two good female leads as well, Isla Fisher and Rachel McAdams (as good as ever here). It works as a great comedy, but also as a nice romcom. I found the ending to drag a little, especially all that comes once they are kicked out of the house. Furthermore, the scenes with Will Ferrell didn't work for me well. Didn't find him funny at all in this one.

The middle section and the beginning of the film definitely make up for all that, though. The film is a laugh riot. I can't stress that enough. It will definitely end up in my Top 10 of 2005.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:57 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I was not expecnting this movie to be one of my favorites, but I was wrong. I watched a little at my friends house, just the beginning, and had to rent it....Now, I own it....One of the funniest movies I have ever seen...Vince and Owen do a great job! A+

Wed May 31, 2006 1:45 am
Profile YIM WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

This is a very good movie with my only question being, Does the UNCORKED EDITION differ much from the theatrical version?? Anyone seen both versions?? :-k

Wed May 31, 2006 3:05 am
Profile WWW
htm

This is a very good movie with my only question being, Does the UNCORKED EDITION differ much from the theatrical version?? Anyone seen both versions?? :-k

A bit more nudity and a few R-Rated jokes. It's worth it, if thats what you like to see.

Wed May 31, 2006 11:26 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

From the first 2 act's you'd say this was one of the best comedies ever made and a A+ was assured but it just collapses in the 3rd act once they get rumbled as if the writer's didn't know where to go with it. Still a fun movie but just misses out on greatness.

B

Wed May 31, 2006 11:40 am
Forum General

I don't get it. I don't get Vaughn.

I don't get his ramblings, which people seem to love (if you've seen him give interviews, he does this same sort of thing; all of it just felt tired to me). I don't get why the film seemingly gets extra points for being raunchy (and from what I can remember, it wasn't nearly as racy as I expected).

Maybe I just have the problem of getting too annoyed at crowds for laughing uproariously at things in which I find no humor and taking it out on the film.

But I still think it's one of the most overrated films in recent years.

C

Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:24 am
Profile WWW
why so serious?

I really enjoyed the movie. I thought it was very funny, and holds up well in repeat viewings, but not the funniest 2005 had to offer.

B+

Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:48 pm
Squee

Me and my clique watched this recently (my friend refused to see it in theatres, insisting it was a straight forward chick flick. Responding, when we asked him if he would go "Maybe if you were a chick.") and was pleasantly surprised at how funny it was. The ending in the chapel was a bit corny, but I didn't mind it too much, and unlike a lot of people, apparently, I found the moments with Owen Wilson being depressed quite funny. (Love that answering machine message)

Anyway, good funny movie.

***1/2

:glare:

Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:11 pm
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Wedding Crashers
It's really a schizophrenic comedy, alternating between some of the funniest stuff ever put on film (basically, Vince Vaughn) and some really awkward, really unfunny pseudo-emo/romance stuff (basically, Owen Wilson). The first act is pretty solid, not really overly funny, but not terrible either - it sets up the story well. This allows the second act to go all out, and it pretty much does, as this is by far the funniest half hour of the film. Unfortunately, this leads into the brutally awful third act, which is painfully unfunny and also quite disturbing. Not just because of Wilson's darkly ironic glamourized depression, but also Will Ferrell's way too dark cameo that makes one feel uncomfortable, not amused. And of course, it all culminates in a predictably corny finish. Overall, just a mixed bag of funny.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:51 pm
College Boy Z

"Why don't you try getting jacked off under the table in front of the whole damn family and have some real problems, jackass. Hey, what were they like anyway? They looked pretty good, are they real? Are they built for speed or comfort? What'd you do with them? Motorboat? You play the motorboat?"

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:57 pm

I am starting the understand why this film did so well. It is far from the funniest of the Frat Pack, but where I think it made its money was from females. It is one of those few comedies that works as a raunchy fun comedy for males, and a very chick flick like film for females, if actually more of the latter than the former. Do demographics support this theory?

By the way, Wilson might be the film's main character, but Vaughn is easily the most interesting character, sort of like Han Solo is to Star Wars or Jack Sparrow is to Pirates.

Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:26 pm
---------

"I didn't get a lot of sleep last night."
"Soft mattress?"
"Yeah, it could have been the soft mattress. Or the midnight rape. Or the nude gay art show that took place in my room. One of those probably added to the lack of sleep."

This movie still gets funnier every time I see it.

Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next