Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Fantastic Four 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 16 ]
B 23%  23%  [ 15 ]
C 23%  23%  [ 15 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
F 16%  16%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 64

Fantastic Four 
Sbil

Post Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Fantastic Four is a 2005 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics comic Fantastic Four. It was directed by Tim Story, and released by 20th Century Fox. This is the second live-action Fantastic Four film to be filmed. The previous attempt, a B-movie produced by Roger Corman only for the purpose of retaining the film rights, was never intended for a theatrical release.

The film was released in the United States on July 8, 2005. It was the third superhero film of the year, after Elektra and Batman Begins.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:38 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Post Re: Fantastic Four
Libs wrote:
Share your thoughts and discuss.

Gee?? What a bunch of Bullsh*t.. Someopne already gives it an "F" without any Goddamn explanation other then doing so.. If your going to fail it, at least post your damn review of it as to WHY you failed it, or is this just some sort of follow the leader type of nonsense since everyone seems content with overanalyzing it and panning it?? :roll:

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:34 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
BKB_The_Man wrote:
Libs wrote:

Gee?? What a bunch of Bullsh*t.. Someopne already gives it an "F" without any Goddamn explanation other then doing so.. If your going to fail it, at least post your damn review of it as to WHY you failed it, or is this just some sort of follow the leader type of nonsense since everyone seems content with overanalyzing it and panning it?? :roll:

or probably they haven't seen it yet - send them to posters anonymous.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:42 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Someone gave it an A without explanation.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:12 am
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Someone gave it an A without explanation.

what is the world coming to

:nutso: some people are so :nutso:

:gun: :mod: :numch: looks like we need some ass-kicking in here :gun: :mod: :numch:

:xena:

Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:19 am
Profile WWW
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Fun popcorn flick. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's still a great ride. Funny when it has to be, good performances all-around, some nice special effects, loud explosions, and some 'fantastic' action sequences. It's what a summer film should be: consistently entertaining and never boring.

A-

Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Really entertaining! I loved it. It was a lot better than the previews were making it out to be. It was a fun and exciting superhero film that I enjoyed more than the first X-MEN and DAREDEVIL. I'll be seeing it again and I want a sequel! Michael Chiklis gives the best performance of the cast, but Chris Evans steals the show. Jessica Alba, Ioan Gruffudd and Julian McMahon are also solid.

The audience was PACKED at the 2:50pm showing. It sold out a good 20 minutes before the show started (so much that my younger brother and I had to sit in the third row) and everyone seemed to enjoy it quite a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the biggest hits of the summer.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:40 pm
Profile YIM
Award Winning Bastard

Once again, it's painfully obvious that critics should stick to watching and critiquing dramas, and leave the fanboy stuff anf the comedies to better equipped moviegoers. The movie had everything a summer movie audience could want, humor, FX, great cast (with a great chemistry together), some romance, some human drama, the whole shebang.

The audience had plenty of reactions and laughs, and it appeared to be a big crowd pleaser, for sure. I really can't see anybody hating it. It moves along at a nice pace, there aren't any dull moments, and if you're not looking for a reason to hate it, it is something you can't help but enjoy. The back and forth between Johnny and Ben was worth the price of admission alone. Right out of the comics. The Baxter Building, their mailman, Willie Lumpkin (played by Stan "The Man" Lee *and that's what they called him*), the superb special FX to bring their powers to life, the Human Torch "showing off" and writing 4 in the sky in flames, Ben's disposition over his condition, Reed talking over people's heads with his usage of terminologies that only a few understand, it was all there.

I also liked how it was the media that named the team, just as they would, and Johnny named the others without their consent.

Now, a potential problem I could see with some, which won't really make anyone hate it, but perhaps think less of it, is if they don't know that this is a planned trilogy, but I would hope by now that audiences are conditioned to know what movies will be getting sequels. The fight between Dr. Doom and the group doesn't take a great deal of time, but that's about how quick they could take him out in a slugfest, and he's being shipped off to the European country of Latveria, and that's where he will live and become the dictator of. They already know him well from his humanitarian efforts there, so it'll be easy pickings for the 3rd world little country to be taken over. Quite ripe for the picking. This was an origin story, and a very strong one. Part one of three, if you will. I think, without that in mind, some could feel that they didn't get enough of something, but it plans to continue. I felt it gave plenty, and I think most people wil, too. I think this will go over well with audiences as a great popcorn movie. It provides good entertainment value for all ages.

A

Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:06 pm
Forum General

BKB_The_Man wrote:
Libs wrote:

Why not just ignore the poll? This happens with every movie.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:17 pm
Profile WWW
I'm Batman

How can they let this stuff be put on any screen. Seriously I was very close to asking for my money back. The effects looked like they were from the late 80s, the space scene was absolutley atrocious. I felt nothing for the characters the entire movie. I didn't care about whether or not they were able to get back to their normal selves. The movie is definitley one of the cheesiest I've ever seen. Yeah sure, any guy can go to the X-Games and start to ride a bike. [-( So many bad one-liners they were hard to count. Doom is just as boring as the rest of the movie. There is nothing redeming about this movie. Save your $10 and go see Batman Begins again. This script should've never seen the light of day.

D+

P.S. There actually is one thing good about this movie. Jessica Alba in her bra and panties. :twisted:

Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:47 pm
I just lost the game

BKB_The_Man wrote:
Libs wrote:

People pay attention to the poll?

Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:56 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

How can they let this stuff be put on any screen. Seriously I was very close to asking for my money back. The effects looked like they were from the late 80s, the space scene was absolutley atrocious. I felt nothing for the characters the entire movie. I didn't care about whether or not they were able to get back to their normal selves. The movie is definitley one of the cheesiest I've ever seen. Yeah sure, any guy can go to the X-Games and start to ride a bike. [-( So many bad one-liners they were hard to count. Doom is just as boring as the rest of the movie. There is nothing redeming about this movie. Save your $10 and go see Batman Begins again. This script should've never seen the light of day.

D+

P.S. There actually is one thing good about this movie. Jessica Alba in her bra and panties. :twisted:

is the human torch naked at all??? :wink:

Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:58 pm
Indiana Jones IV

insomniacdude wrote:
BKB_The_Man wrote:
Libs wrote:

People pay attention to the poll?

Pay attention to it? It dictates my life. An equal number of As and Fs mean I wear a blue shirt and ride a pony to work.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I was expecting a LITTLE bit more from it... but all in all it was a good fun movie. The special effects were decent, loved the action :) All the actors fit their parts which I also loved ;)

Final grade: 8.9/10

B+

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:00 pm
Forum General

A 28% ( 4 )
B 14% ( 2 )
C 7% ( 1 )

D 7% ( 1 )
F 42% ( 6 )

Total Votes : 14

50 /50 split on this - what to see - see it or not?

Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:27 pm
Profile WWW
The Original

Meh 6F and 42%??? It cant be that bad???? [-X

Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:32 pm
Award Winning Bastard

That's more a response to BKB's comments.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:34 pm
The Original

FILMO wrote:

Yup it is. And those Fs scream that some bashers are here. And if not give at least a comment as BKB said. This is not IMDB here.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:39 pm
Forum General

FILMO wrote:

There's the reason I don't take these bullshit ratings seriously.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Yup it is. And those Fs scream that some bashers are here. And if not give at least a comment as BKB said. This is not IMDB here.

And I pretty much know exactly who they are, too.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:41 pm

I can only imagine the look of horror on the faces of the cast and crew of Fantastic Four when they watched The Incredibles last fall. Pixar's film was a warm and friendly homage to the famed family of superheroes. It's not inconceivable to think that had the producers of Fantastic Four seen a rough cut of The Incredibles early enough, maybe they would have called the whole thing off. Fantastic Four isn't a horrible film, it definitely has its moments. But when your neighborhood is inhabited by the likes of Spider-Man 2, Batman Begins, and The Incredibles, no matter how fast and loud your sports car is, it's still just a Honda parked next to a Ferrari.

The success of comic book films often lies with the director. It's takes a certain type of talent to be to transfer the written exploits of superheroes onto film. It's not an easy task and the cinematic graveyard is littered with the headstones of directors unable or unwilling to meet the challenge. And with Fantastic Four, Tim Story the director of Barbershop is woefully out of his league. Parts of the film play like hyper stylized commercials. Others, like bad sitcoms. I expected at any moment for Johnny Storm aka The Human Torch (Chris Evans) to turn towards the camera and sell me Gatorade. Speaking of The Human Torch, the other players in this foursome aren't entirely without charm. The Thing (Michael Chiklis), The Invisible Girl (Jessica Alba), and Mr. Fantastic (Ioan Gruffudd) are all okay and likable. If there's anything that works in the film, it's the interaction between The Thing and The Human Torch. Too bad their relationship is shortchanged in order to give more time to the wholly unbelievable romance between The Invisible Girl and Mr. Fantastic.

Fantastic Four plays really loose and carefree with continuity. You never really buy into the universe because the rules change from scene to scene. One minute The Thing is too heavy to ride an elevator. The next, he isn't. The Human Torch is able to reach supernova temperatures. That's right, the temperature of the sun. What a fantastic ending to a potential film franchise that would be. Our hero, in an attempt to foil the evil Dr. Doom (Julian McMahon) goes supernova and destroys the planet. Now that's creative filmmaking. But no, somehow his energy is contained. And all is well. Except for the collateral damage that is. And the impending military response.

Truth is, there are too many good films in theaters right now to recommend Fantastic Four. Sure, there are some laughs to be found, almost exclusively thanks to Chris Evans. And it does revel in its own goofiness. But when a summer superhero film can't deliver an interesting story or at the very least, exciting special effects, what's the point?

D+

Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:46 pm

D+

On the contrary, The FF4 kicked MUCH ASS and I enjoyed every minute of this movie and the crowd I was with which was SOLD OUT enjoyed it very much and laughed at all the right spots.. As I exited the theatre, I thought to myself WHY a movie critic such as Roger Ebert would read so damn much into the movie and dissect it in the most overanalyzing, anal rentative way possible and not just him, but the rest of the critics as well???? I thought Johnny Storm and Ben Grimm stole the movie and their relationship and bickering played out JUST like the comic did.. The FX I would say were on Par with the 1st X-MEN movie in the sense where, like I said, FOX is treading lightly with this 1st movie to see how well it does before pumping more $$$ into the FX for a sequel like they did with X2.. The only thing I will say and I have said since day 1 and many can agree or disagree with me on this all you like is The THING SHOULD be Much larger next time around and CGI and by doing this, your progressing how he loks from the early days of the Jack Kirby look to ultimately looking like he does in the Ultimate FF4 which is more defined and much bigger.. Remember that The THING weighs according to MARVEL Encyclopedia around 500 LBS and at times, it was hard for me to guage this weight.. This was a character that went toe to toe with The HULK even thouhg he had his ass handed to him 90% of the time cause The HULK is just far too powerful and there aren't many characters in the world of MARVEL that can downright take on The HULK..

Overall, I give this the same grade as BATMAN.. A 9.5 out of 10 with more added fun and a sense of enjoyment than the Doom and Gloom process in which BATMAN was and that was graded basing it on the last 2 movies cause it still doesn't hold a cnadle to Burton's 1st movie..

"A"

Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:16 pm
Profile WWW

Fantastic Bore

I can only imagine the look of horror on the faces of the cast and crew of Fantastic Four when they watched The Incredibles last fall. Pixar's film was a warm and friendly homage to the famed family of superheroes. It's not inconceivable to think that had the producers of Fantastic Four seen a rough cut of The Incredibles early enough, maybe they would have called the whole thing off. Fantastic Four isn't a horrible film, it definitely has its moments. But when your neighborhood is inhabited by the likes of Spider-Man 2, Batman Begins, and The Incredibles, no matter how fast and loud your sports car is, it's still just a Honda parked next to a Ferrari.

The success of comic book films often lies with the director. It's takes a certain type of talent to be to transfer the written exploits of superheroes onto film. It's not an easy task and the cinematic graveyard is littered with the headstones of directors unable or unwilling to meet the challenge. And with Fantastic Four, Tim Story the director of Barbershop is woefully out of his league. Parts of the film play like hyper stylized commercials. Others, like bad sitcoms. I expected at any moment for Johnny Storm aka The Human Torch (Chris Evans) to turn towards the camera and sell me Gatorade. Speaking of The Human Torch, the other players in this foursome aren't entirely without charm. The Thing (Michael Chiklis), The Invisible Girl (Jessica Alba), and Mr. Fantastic (Ioan Gruffudd) are all okay and likable. If there's anything that works in the film, it's the interaction between The Thing and The Human Torch. Too bad their relationship is shortchanged in order to give more time to the wholly unbelievable romance between The Invisible Girl and Mr. Fantastic.

Fantastic Four plays really loose and carefree with continuity. You never really buy into the universe because the rules change from scene to scene. One minute The Thing is too heavy to ride an elevator. The next, he isn't. The Human Torch is able to reach supernova temperatures. That's right, the temperature of the sun. What a fantastic ending to a potential film franchise that would be. Our hero, in an attempt to foil the evil Dr. Doom (Julian McMahon) goes supernova and destroys the planet. Now that's creative filmmaking. But no, somehow his energy is contained. And all is well. Except for the collateral damage that is. And the impending military response.

Truth is, there are too many good films in theaters right now to recommend Fantastic Four. Sure, there are some laughs to be found, almost exclusively thanks to Chris Evans. And it does revel in its own goofiness. But when a summer superhero film can't deliver an interesting story or at the very least, exciting special effects, what's the point?

D+

OK Roger Ebert.. :roll: Just like I said, READING TOO MUCH INTO THE MOVIE and trying to overanalyze why Johnny Storm could reach Supernova temperatures.. Pick up the comic Loyal and read next time and you'll understand it much better than you apparently didn't..

Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:18 pm
Profile WWW

Sounds like after this weekend, these so called bashers will be left standing there holding their dicks in their hands wondering how the movie could've done so well after there desperate futile attempt to put it down.. The crowd I was sitting with enjoyed every minute of it and it was, get this?? FUN.. Get it?? FUN and not overly depressing and dark and gloomy like we've had all summer long now.. Folks want FUN and are sick of depressing sh*t and leaving the theatre with that feeling.. Oh and nice try on trying to imitate me on the so called bashing of this cause it just backfired.. This movie was easily as good as the 1st X-MEN and I have every bit of confidence the sequel will be better and there will be one to so get used to it... :mrgreen:

Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:23 pm
Profile WWW
Team Kris

It was an average super hero movie that I thought was a little slow at times, but still entertaining. ALba was the best (and by far the hottest woman alive) in the movie and the Human Torch gave some good laughs. The audiance seemed to enjoy it and gave a nice applause at the end. I'd say this ranks in the middle of the pack of summer movies, but at least it was light hearted and fun, a different pace from the dark movies of late.

B

Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next