Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 

What grade would you give this film?
A 56%  56%  [ 48 ]
B 28%  28%  [ 24 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 85

I just lost the game

insomniacdude wrote:

[spoil]-On the second bullet, Bagman was also a judge. Throughout the book he is constantly trying to help Harry and, as judge, giving him a lot of points in order to ensure his bet would pay off. Eventually he lost because "Harry tied with Cedric...he didn't straight up win"

-Rita Skeeter's abilities as an animagus isn't that important in the fifth movie. They could just as easily get anybody to write...it. I'm glad that little plot wasn't in the movie, as it would have just been ultimately useless. I would have liked to see just a BIT more of her total tabloid blood-thirty journalism.

-I would have loved to see the Sphinx in the maze. Come on. Sphinxes are just kickass.

-On the Weasley store: in addition to the winning Harry gave to them, there was also a small bit from the beginning in which the Weasleys bet pretty big on an odd bet: Ireland to win the match, even though Krum (from Bulgaria) grabs the Snitch and ends the game. The bet was against Ludo Bagman, of all people.

-Bellatrix Lestrange is a pivitol character to the rest of the series in general, not just the fifth novel (anybody who doesn't think her role in the seventh book won't be fairly big is seriously retarded).

-Prior Incantatem was seriously not explained well in the movie at all. In the first book/movie, it is revealed that Olivander, the wand maker, thinks it "Very interesting" of the wand Harry has. The phoenix feather that resides in Harry's wand comes from a Phoenix that has only ever given one other feather to a wand. That wand belongs to Voldemort. Priori Incantatem is a rare instance in which a wand meets is brother and, as stated, "ghosts" of Voldie's past spells come out, starting with the most recent (Cedric) and moving back (Frank Bryce the groundskeeper from the beginning, then Harry's mom, then his dad)[/spoil]

Just clearing some of your points up/adding some of my own thoughts.

Thanks for the comments.

[spoil]

I am still glad that Bagman's character was cut as he was essentially not necessary at all, other than being soneone who audiences could suspect. I suppose the most disappointing things to me were the lack of the conclusion with Barty Crouch Jr. being killed and the disappointing maze. To see the Sphinx would be great and then the giant spider and all the other stuff. Maybe they ran out of budget? Heh.

I don't think Bellatrix will play such a huge role in the final book simply because theere are too many characters this novel will have to deal with, but of course there will be a bif Neville(Bellatrix pay-off.

I just think that Rita Skeeter was mostly wasted.[/spoil]

[spoil]Still, Bagman's little extra bit is, as you said, added for mystery. There is little mystery in the movies, IMO. The pacng is too rushed to really have sufficient mystery. Even in this movie, it is tried to be made out that Karkaroff is the man who put Harry's name in the goblet, but the possibility was not developed at all. There was the shot of him entering the Goblet room, then Siriu's warning in the fire, then the allusion to his Dark Mark (which was never really explained anyway). Gah. I really wish the movies would have been produced out of the midst of the Pottermania, so that more liberties could be taken in the storytelling and structure.

How could Bellatrix not play a large role in book 7? She tortured the Longbottoms to insanity and she killed Sirius. I'd say only second to Voldemort she is the biggest villian (it depends on your thoughts on Snape, though, who I am positive is still working for the order)[/spoil]

Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:57 am
Veteran

I'm not a Potter head. it was a good crowd that went to the movie my friend enjoyed it and I got a pretty nice nap in between. I wil not say I did not like it but I will not say I liked it either. I refuse to rate this movie.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Teenage Dream

The average grade for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is 8.3/10.

Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:21 am
Forum General

I'm sorry to say this but I couldn't get into this at all. I loved the books but the movie was just painfully dull. The first hour or so was solid, though not great. After that, it had great special effects but it was so boring, I wanted to go to sleep. Emma Watson shines here, the rest of the cast isn't really used to a full advantage. Even though I didn't want to see it, it still ended up to be a big disappointment. Stick with AZKABAN. Here's hoping OotP is much better.

5/10 (C-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:56 am
Profile YIM WWW
Mod Team Leader

I'm not a Potter fan but this was a fantastic film.

9/10

Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
Iron Man

Completely surpassed my expectations. And as a long time fan, they were quite high. It was dark, humorous and it had even more emotion than the third movie. It was just so exciting and suspensful, my heart was beating so fast during the graveyard scene even though I knew what was going to happen. The actors were just perfect this time out, not a cringe worthy moment in sight. Mike Newell has done a fantastic job. A+

Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:19 pm
The French Dutch Boy

What Mike Newell has managed to do that neither Columbus or Cuaron did was finally humanize Harry Potter.

The ending to this film is beautiful, that's all I can say. From the end of the third competition until the end of the movie, it is just pitch perfect.

And holy hell, where did this AMAZING cinematography come from? The use of stained glass imagery was absolutely brilliant, especially the "crying window"; the window which Neville is blankly staring at until Moody interrupts him.

Radcliffe actually did a great job during the Voldermort scene and the aftermath, I thought. Normally he's just "okay". But not letting go of Cedric until his father had come, and then his fathers reaction to his death. "My boy!!" That was heartbreaking.

The film felt realer than the previous films. It didn't feel so much like a Hollywoodish glossed-over magic world film. From the dance, the usual teenage behaviour, etc, the whole film just felt right.

Did how mention how awesome I thought this ending was? I loved it.

And I don't know about anyone else, but I can't get over the amazing cinematography.

A strong B+, and once again the best Harry Potter film yet. I can say with no exaggeration that each film in the series has been better than the one before it.

PEACE, Mike.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:34 pm
You must have big rats

And I don't know about anyone else, but I can't get over the amazing cinematography.

It was great, but then again, I thought the cinematography in the third movie was just as amazing.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

MikeQ. wrote:

It was great, but then again, I thought the cinematography in the third movie was just as amazing.

That is true, the last film had awesome cinematography too! I was just really, really impressed with this films' cinematography. Amazing stuff.

A few more points of things I loved:

The moment when Harry and Voldermort's wands are connected, and he is seeing his parents, and his mother says to him in an incredibly sweet, motherly voice: "Harry, you're ready. Let go. Let go.". The moment was just really, really cool.

And probably the coolest moment in the film; the simply wonderful use of juxtoposition between the horrid moment of Cedric arriving back dead, and the bouncy "winner music". It made the scene feel really eerie, because everyone is cheering, and the music is playing, and the two fathers (Weasley and Diggory) are hugging, and everyone is oblivious. And then Fleur screams, and some people realize something is wrong. It's just totally spine tingly.

I'm impressed by Mike Newell's work. I wouldn't mind seeing him doing another Potter film, but I think I remember reading there is yet another different director for the 5th. As long as it's not Columbus! lol.

I would kill to see Spielberg do a Potter film (perhaps the 7th??). Now that would be amazing, in my opinion.

EDIT: Also, I just cannot give enough credit to the adult cast in this film. They all work together so well. They just seem to nail their characters personality down (Dumbledore is simply spot on, in my opinion. You cannot get any better than that), and all of the professors compliment eachother so well. The new adults this film, like Barty Crouch, etc. are all awesome too.

PEACE, Mike.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:40 am
Team Kris

the horrid moment of Cedric arriving back dead

Cedric :sad: :cry:

Such a waste...

Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:03 am
Forum General

I don't understand how all of you guys are loving this. It's so all over the place, it's an absolute mess.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW
We had our time together

Last edited by Riggs on Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:28 pm
Profile WWW

It was decent, ultimately the fact the I found Voldemort very disappointing left me cold towards the film.

I hated the ending, we go from sad crying to happy goodbyes, it felt so damn cheesy.

It was very meh for me.

Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:23 pm
Award Winning Bastard

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Right now, I'd rank it #2 behind Chamber of Secrets.

B+

Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:43 pm
life begins now

B+

Seriously? :huh: You thought Chamber was better than POA and this??

Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:22 pm
Profile YIM
Commander and Chef

Maverikk wrote:

B+

Chamber was a million times better than POA ....

Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:26 pm
Profile WWW

I don't understand how all of you guys are loving this. It's so all over the place, it's an absolute mess.

Agreed, I don;t think it was bad, but for me it was just decent.

Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:25 pm
Devil's Advocate

This might sound like a sort've rant, but whatever. Here goes:

Running time: 2 hrs 45 minutes
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Stars: Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson,

Review: Throughout most of the year, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire has been easily my #1 most anticipated film. I am a big Potternite, and having loved the first 3 films, I expected none less from this. Goblet also has the advantage of possibly being the reader-favorite of the series, and the fact that it is the book that when release turned HP from very popular into a phenomenom.

Potter 4 should technically be a strong film. It has easily the best story-line base, it has its actors finally reaching their peaks, and it has the best production and visual effects of the bunch. But, alas, the film is a complete misfire. There, I said it.

Where do I possibly start the problems with this?

-All the scenes go in different directions, they don't coexist with each other.
-There was no development anywhere, the entire movie was event after event piled on to each other.
-Mad-Eye Moody gets a good performance, but the scripting he has for him sucks.
-The movie is incredibly slow-paced and dull, even through all its compounded events.
-Its ass-ugly. The entire thing is shot in green tone, which sucks deep cock.
-Emma Watson looks good, but she does a terrible job.
-Again, I'll repeat it, the entire thing feels strung together. The movie is put together horribly, like the worst I've seen all -year. Its just scene after scene, all individual and nothing to do with each other.

Some more thoughts:

-Malfoy didn't appear at all in the film, he had a grand total of 2 or 3 lines. He said something at the World Cup, then he got turned into a ferret. Thats it.

-Neville looked and acting way too cool for his own good, hes supposed to be a tubby loser, not a tall and skinny guy with nice form who seems to know his way around.

-There was a lot of Harry/Hermoine in the film, she had almost no lines with the guy shes supposed to be flirting with, Ron

-Terrible acting all around. Emma Watson wasn't even all that good, even after all this praise.

-Krum said almost nothing in the film. Wasted.

I really wanted to like this film. I mean I REALLY wanted to like this film, it was one of my most anticipated films ever. I was pumping it for months, I had my Potter avatars blazing. I was hoping with all the good words that the film would blow Azkaban away. But no, instead it comes on the other side of the spectrum.

Grade: D+

Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:08 am
Cream of the Crop

Chris wrote:
Maverikk wrote:

B+

Chamber was a million times better than POA ....

What???? :blink: POA was a masterful fantasy film..the look of the film was extraordinary..definitely one of the more darkly beautiful films out there..and Cuaron did a great job in retaining the heart of the story despite missing out a few important details

COS was a good film, but a bit bloated and also the original book story it is taken from isn't as good as POA's, so it wasn't as enrapturing a tale.

Good L0rd! ;)

Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

AN "A"

One of the better fantasy films for definite..even if they could have added 30 minutes to flesh out the intro and explain a few more things..

Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I'm skipping this one. The first two were just okay and the third one was just plain bad - I'm not wasting anymore time on this series...

Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:37 pm
Artie the One-Man Party

(Dumbledore is simply spot on, in my opinion. You cannot get any better than that),

Although I think Gambon was great in this movie, his performance does not match the true character of Dumbledore. Dumblebore is the gentle, wise old man who never raises his voice, and up until book six always seems in control of the events surrounding him and his emotions. He seems much too energetic and lets his emotions get the best of him, something he rarely does in the books. He almost never gets angry with Harry or yells at him, and we see him push him against a wall and nearly choke him in one scene. Nothing like the true Dumbledore, and I guarentee during that specific scene he acts totally different.

Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:02 pm
Artie the One-Man Party

And Shack, after reading about the color in the movie "sucking deep cock", I decided to skip your review, although everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:03 pm
Cream of the Crop

I'm skipping this one. The first two were just okay and the third one was just plain bad - I'm not wasting anymore time on this series...

Lets see...is this another case of deluded book purism? because film 3 was less "faithful" than the first two its "bad"? Never mind the fact that it captured the feel of the Potter books far better than its predecessors, is wonderfilly entertaining and atmospheric and is one of the best fantasy films going..

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

bradley witherberry wrote:

Lets see...is this another case of deluded book purism? because film 3 was less "faithful" than the first two its "bad"? Never mind the fact that it captured the feel of the Potter books far better than its predecessors, is wonderfilly entertaining and atmospheric and is one of the best fantasy films going..

Haven't read the books - this time the movies' badness stands on it's own...

Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next