Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Miami Vice 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 14 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 12 ]
C 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 42

Miami Vice 
Where will you be?

MovieDude wrote:
Wow, I loved it. It wasn't shoot outs every five minutes, but this isn't Bad Boys II here, it's a crime drama. It was far, far more thrilling then say Scarface or many other films like it. It's an absolutely beautiful film to look at, with hypnotic cinematography and editing that engages like few movies can. A-

Glad you liked it. At least some people saw what I did in it.

I don't get why WOM has been so poor. I didn't really see anything wrong with it.

Yeah, like the people I saw it with loved it, and I felt completely entertained the whole time. It's as if Batman Begins was having bad WOM for me.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:33 am
Extraordinary

:lol: Oh please. Mann turned Miami Vice into an art house film, obviously wom wasnt gonna be any good.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:42 am
Where will you be?

:lol: Oh please. Mann turned Miami Vice into an art house film, obviously wom wasnt gonna be any good.

It was far more exciting then Scarface, Goodfellas, Collateral, or Heat.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:43 am
Extraordinary

Killuminati510 wrote:

:lol:

Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:45 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Killuminati510 wrote:

Ok, now wait a second.. I absolutely refuse to buy that this movie is better than the Immortal Classic GOODFELLAS.. Come on Dude.. That's an awful tall feat your presenting there.. I still want to see this but no way this could possibly be better...

Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:37 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I dont think he's trying to say it's better, just more exciting. I agree it's more exciting........ if your idea of exciting is watching paint dry and snails race :shades:

Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:19 pm
Teenage Dream

The negative WOM is completely baffling to me. I feel like I must have saw a different film. I was enthralled with it.

Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:36 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I would recommend everyone to go to the bathroom before the trailer park scene.

If you miss anything from that scene on... then you have missed something fantastic.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:55 am
Mod Team Leader

I would recommend everyone to go to the bathroom before the trailer park scene.

If you miss anything from that scene on... then you have missed something fantastic.

I agree with that.

Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Saw it again tonight (gotta love all day matinee). I was a bit worried it wouldn't hold up as well on a second viewing, because the feeling of a sudden explosion at anytime would be largely gone.

Well, that feeling was gone, but I must say... I enjoyed it just as much tonight as I did the first time I saw it. I was able to catch certain things I missed the first time in the labyrinth plot, and the film flew by even quicker this time around. I don't know how Mann managed to make a nearly two and a half hour long epic feel like thirty minutes, but he did here. Incredible stuff.

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:26 am

Saw it again tonight (gotta love all day matinee). I was a bit worried it wouldn't hold up as well on a second viewing, because the feeling of a sudden explosion at anytime would be largely gone.

Well, that feeling was gone, but I must say... I enjoyed it just as much tonight as I did the first time I saw it. I was able to catch certain things I missed the first time in the labyrinth plot, and the film flew by even quicker this time around. I don't know how Mann managed to make a nearly two and a half hour long epic feel like thirty minutes, but he did here. Incredible stuff.

You know?? Based on the reactions I've seen of this movie thus far, everything from Good to downright it sucks and isn't the 80's TV Show, I'm wondering if this is a movie that get's better upon the repeat viewing factor, say like when it comes to DVD?? This movie just seems like such a Hit or Miss type of thing with no inbetween on it..

Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:24 am
Profile WWW

Wow, I loved it. It wasn't shoot outs every five minutes, but this isn't Bad Boys II here, it's a crime drama. It was far, far more thrilling then say Scarface or many other films like it. It's an absolutely beautiful film to look at, with hypnotic cinematography and editing that engages like few movies can. A-

Its not the lack of shoot outs that is the problem, its the lack of development of the major characters between those shoot outs. We have alot of time with the characters, yet I can barely recall there names or any detials about them.

Its was beautiful but hollow, why did Tubbs and Crockett have a team if we don;t even get the luxury of knowing their names, hire some stand ins then, you don't need actors.

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:12 am
Extraordinary

I see most movies, and I couldn't be bothered to see this one...

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:33 am
All Star Poster

Really really awful movie I thought. I really didnt have much of a clue about what the hell was going on half the time, it was just very hard to follow. The ending didnt really make much sense to me aswell . . the jesus dude got away or something?

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:55 am
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

makeshift wrote:

You know?? Based on the reactions I've seen of this movie thus far, everything from Good to downright it sucks and isn't the 80's TV Show, I'm wondering if this is a movie that get's better upon the repeat viewing factor, say like when it comes to DVD?? This movie just seems like such a Hit or Miss type of thing with no inbetween on it..

I definitely think people will enjoy it more the second time they see it.

I think the thing Miami Vice is suffering from the most when it comes to the negative reviews and bad WOM is people's expectations. People went into this film expecting a Michael Bay-esque actioner, and they were a bit caught off gaurd when what they got was an arty crime-drama more in the vein of a film noir than anything else. It's a slow film (in regards to the why it takes it's time with the story and characters, not the feel - it actually feels very fast) that saves it's brusts of action for the end, after everything has had time to develop and boil and simmer. One of the things I loved about this film is the way the final two action sequences acted as sort of cathartic experience - not just for the audience, but for the characters in the film. Almost every character experiences an emotinal breaking point at some period during these two final scenes. And it feels real, because you've been building up with them this entire time. Whether it's Tubbs, running through a blazzing fire fight with no regard for his own life to get to the man who put his girlfriend in a coma, or Isabella walking in a zombie-lake haze to Sonny, screaming "Who are you?!?!", or Trudy finally snapping and screaming at and kicking the dead body of one of her captures... nearly every character gets their moment to snap.

So, in that regard... people's expectations will be more in check their second go around, and I think they'll find a lot more to love with the film. This isn't the TV show it's based on. This isn't a typical Hollywood action film. This is an auteur at the height of his game working those invisible strings like none other.

Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:07 pm
htm

I find Gong Li's Spanish here strangely appealing... brilliant work from her.

I really, really liked this film.

Indeed.

Mann is probably the only director to have ever captured the true grittiness of Miami AND the natural beauty of those summer nights. And Gong Li twas quite the hottie.

Did have some pacing issues though...

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:44 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I love Mann, but it took me almost three weeks to actually see this and by today my expectations had dropped to pretty much nothing. My mistake. This was great, intoxicating stuff.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:27 pm

I love Mann, but it took me almost three weeks to actually see this and by today my expectations had dropped to pretty much nothing. My mistake. This was great, intoxicating stuff.

This is so weird that I still haven't seen it yet either considering I'm sporting the avatar and all..I think it was sort of the sour reviews this received that forced me to hold off seeing it right away and I chose The DESCENT instead which was an excellent alternative to.. I guess I'll eventually either see this or wait for the DVD and seethe Boat Race which cost a 1/3 of the movie's budget..

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:37 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

yoshue wrote:

This is so weird that I still haven't seen it yet either considering I'm sporting the avatar and all..I think it was sort of the sour reviews this received that forced me to hold off seeing it right away and I chose The DESCENT instead which was an excellent alternative to.. I guess I'll eventually either see this or wait for the DVD and seethe Boat Race which cost a 1/3 of the movie's budget..

See it in theatres! :)

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:48 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

The cinematography here DEMANDS a big screen viewing. Seeing it for the first time on DVD is the equivalent of not really seeing it at all. Some of the aerial shots are among the most spectacular images I've seen onscreen, like, ever.

Also, I didn't realize until the end of the movie that the boat chase had been cut out. I'm hardly an action movie junkie, but good lord, the things I would have done to keep it in the movie somewhere...

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:16 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

I thought the film was quite good. Perhaps my expectations were low - but I did enjoy it - even though it was slightly boring in areas.

Cinematography as mentioned is fantastic.
Gong Li not only acts nicely here - she is damn hot!!
The final 20 minutes are brilliant - starting with the trailer park.
The Villians worked for me - not too over the top - but enough restrained menace.
Farrell and Fox are decent in their roles.

The problem with it is that unless you are concentrating on whats going on 100% - its difficult to know what exactly is happening. I think thats why a second viewing would be necessary. The film is a little too light on the action - which for a film entitled "Miami Vice" is a no no.

I'd rate it behind Collateral but around the same or a bit better than Heat (but without the classic shootouts). No way near as good as Goodfellas.

Grade: B+ (before a 2nd viewing)

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:34 am
Devil's Advocate

:zzz:

Shitty movie. It's slow as hell, too long, and the plot was relatively uninteresting to me, which made it even more boring. It's not that I didn't understand what was happening, it was that I just didn't care. Mann does a terrible job with his characters, he doesn't give them any life, he never develops them, he never makes you believe that they're real people. The plotline on paper isn't terrible, but the way it is executed is, Mann just makes a worthless film out of it. The writing is average at best, the characters not only don't seem like real people, they don't talk like them either, are you telling me that gangsters actually talk that monotone and overly serious? I doubt it. He fails to give them emotions, reactions, everyone are just pure stones in that department. The "relationship" between Ferrell and Li felt completley forced and unnatural, the scenes where they're supposibly falling in love are so blank and stone-like, two uninteresting people say a couple words to each other then dance, and that's it. Woohoo. Jamie Foxx, same situation, you never believe the relationship he has with his girlfriend, all you really see it them having sex, emotionless sex at that. The villians, typical bad guys, they have no layers, they have no real emotions, they're just evil and like money, drugs, and hurting people. Miami Vice is not only completley uninteresting, but it's also a bad movie underneath it all as well. The big positive in this movie is the action sequences, which I admit kick ass, the use of guns and blood in this film is very strong. But that's the only thing saving it from like an F, really. What a complete waste of a film.

Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:32 am
We had our time together

When it was first announced that the popular 1980's television series "Miami Vice" was going to be adapted into a major motion picture, many were filled with skepticism. It had been over fifteen years since the series aired its final episode and since then the world had become a very different place. Some wondered how the storylines and characters that were present would be translated to modern times. Thankfully, many breathed a sigh of relief when Michael Mann, the show's executive producer, signed on to direct the project. Mann had just had the biggest hit of his career in 2004's Collateral, a thrilling and exciting action film that won over critics and audiences everywhere. He enlisted a talented ensemble for the film including Academy Award winner Jamie Foxx and sex symbol Colin Farrell. It seemed as if he had another smash on his hands. Unfortunately, the film no longer seems poised to set the box office on fire. Despite a talented cast and crew, Miami Vice is one of the most uninteresting and utterly mediocre summer offerings on display this season.

The incredibly confusing plotline involves two detectives, Sonny Crockett (Colin Farrell) and Ricardo Tubbs (Jamie Foxx) who work along the drug infested streets of Miami. After a tragic occurance resulting in the death of an informant (John Hawkes) and his family, the FBI enlists their help and asks them to go undercover - in an attempt to expose a vicious and intelligent arms and drug trafficker named Arcangel de Jesus Montoya (Luis Tosar). The pair soon find themselves under his good graces, and Crockett begins to feel a strong attraction towards Montoya's beautiful banker and assistant Isabella (Gong Li). But soon the two find themselves in too deep, and after a shocking incident sends Tubbs' girlfriend (Naomie Harris) to the hospital - they must band together to bring down Montoya and everything he stands for.

Despite being released in the midst of many summer blockbusters, do not go in to Miami Vice expecting a film that in any way resembles the original television show. The names are the same, as well as the general concept. But other than that this is a largely bleak affair, with the sense of fun and excitement noticeably absent. Despite claims that the movie is an action-adventure film, the action sequences are few and far between. Instead, the film drags on with meandering and confusing dialogue sure to alienate the viewer - and a plot that is filled with predictable cop movie cliches. None of the characters are given any sort of back story, which serves as a good explanation for why they are not charismatic in the slightest. Everyone here is sad and dejected, with the same look present on their face throughout the entire duration. Because of all this, the film seems as if it will never end, and by the time it does you will likely be running out of the theater.

Michael Mann, after doing such brilliant work on Collateral, really should have known better. I expected more from him with this project, especially since the show was one that he helped get started. He understood what made that series work and it seems as if he has completely disregarded it here. The show thrived off interesting characters and the tone switching appropriately from light to dark - leaving the audience with a satisfying and entertaining experience. There was also humor on display to brighten up the mood at times. It seems odd that he would throw that all away for this slow and incredibly boring screenplay. However, proof that he is still a solid director is still present here. He has a unique visual style that feels realistic but is also a feast for the eyes. The color schemes present here are excellent, and Mann uses all of his locations to perfection. While it isn't his best work, he still manages to show how much talent he really has.

The cast is one of the most disappointing aspects of the film, especially considering how talented each and every actor is. Jamie Foxx, who gained a bad reputation on this project for being notoriously hard to work with, is bland here and seems very bored with the character that he is playing. Colin Farrell, who is given much more screentime, is better - attempting to give the role some emotion and character. But for the most part both of the portrayls are very unenergetic and lazy, hardly allowing the viewer to become captivated by their characters. The actors also suffer from sharing next to no chemistry, playing "buddies" who never really seem to show any sign of actually liking each other. Naomie Harris, who delivered a scene-stealing performance in this summer's blockbuster Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, lightens up the atmosphere for a brief while and manages to charm the audience - despite the fact that she barely appears onscreen and is soon put into a coma in order to increase dramatic tension that is never present in the first place. The best of the cast is Gong Li who serves as the most interesting character of the entire piece. She gives exactly what is required of her - and makes the role her own by adding sass and a sense of mystery as well.

This could have been such a great film. Mann is an excellent director and the cast is full of talented thespians. Unfortunately, Miami Vice is a mess - and a boring one at that. These characters are certainly not ones that will stay with you and the bland performances pretty much ensure this fact. The screenplay attempts to create tension that never materializes, and action sequences are few and far between. This overlong and talky film is not only one of the year's biggest disappointments, but also one of the worst films of this summer season. Crockett and Tubbs, may you rest in peace. Your franchise is officially dead on arrival.

4/10 (D+)

Absolutely my feelings too. Well said!

D+

Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
htm

The cinematography here DEMANDS a big screen viewing. Seeing it for the first time on DVD is the equivalent of not really seeing it at all. Some of the aerial shots are among the most spectacular images I've seen onscreen, like, ever.

Also, I didn't realize until the end of the movie that the boat chase had been cut out. I'm hardly an action movie junkie, but good lord, the things I would have done to keep it in the movie somewhere...

Completely in agreement. I was blown away. Miami felt like Miami. The city sparkled. Everything was so wonderfully shot... by far the best cinematography of the year. Perhaps my favorite shot was this random aerial over a massive waterfall that the drug lord (can't recall his name) lived near. It was... wonderful.

I'm no action fan, but I would have enjoyed seeing the boat chase. I'm hoping for a director's cut. I'd gladly watch any additional footage.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:32 pm
You must have big rats

yoshue wrote:

Completely in agreement. I was blown away. Miami felt like Miami. The city sparkled. Everything was so wonderfully shot... by far the best cinematography of the year. Perhaps my favorite shot was this random aerial over a massive waterfall that the drug lord (can't recall his name) lived near. It was... wonderful.

I agree as well. The cinematography was splendid and the movie is pretty good on itself. I am not surprising so many were disappointed. If you walk into a Michael Mann film and expect Bad Boys or Lethal Weapon, obviously you are going to come out let down. This is not a "buddy cops"-film, this is an "undercover police work" film.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next