Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen 

What grade would you give this film?
A 18%  18%  [ 9 ]
B 31%  31%  [ 16 ]
C 16%  16%  [ 8 ]
D 18%  18%  [ 9 ]
F 18%  18%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 51

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen 
i break the rules, so i don't care

Post Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Caius wrote:
Seeing it in a couple of hours, but is there anything in it that drags on as long as the "Autobots hiding from Shia's parents" scene from the first film?

Yes, the final action sequence is at least 40 minutes long, and features Shia's parents.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:47 am
invading your spaces

Losing my fanboy card on this one, might be a little shocking coming from me. Loved the first, thought this one was.. at best... a gigantic disappointment. Liked the opening and the forest battle. Thought the twins were cool and Jetfire but too many robots and no development of any of them... which I felt the first one had a spark to it, this was just dry and noisy. See Star Trek or the Hangover before bothering with Transformers.

The leaked/early script and story was better

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

LOL at the negativity of this board.
A from me.
Hate all you want not like I give a shit.
It's as good as the first.
Seriously some people here want nothing more than to hate Bay and his movies no matter what.
Also lulls and boring? Definitely not. Check QOS for that nonsense.
Some people here also seem to want to please someone else but whatever not something I want to get into.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:32 pm
Profile WWW

Its not my fault Michael Bay makes shitty movies. If he wants me not to hate him he should become a better director. For the record I liked TF1 (to an extent) so i don't hate him routinely, just his movies that are bad (which happens to be most of them)

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:35 pm
We had our time together

I really liked it a lot. It wasn't as good as the first one though. Everything up until they entered egypt I was fine with but then the movie lost me here and there. I could rarely figure out who was fighting and wasn't a big fan of the desert setting either. But like said, everything before was really cool. I definately have to see it again. A- for now.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

It was freaking awesome. Everyone in the audience loved it. It was so much funnier than the first, had so much more action and so much more Fox... mmm...

***.5/****

Loved it. Sure, the script and most of the dialogue was cheesy as hell... but it's TRANSFORMERS.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:23 pm
College Boy Z

I'm gonna love this.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:33 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Every single scene Fox was in... your eyes are just drawn to her.

Good god.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:36 pm
Extraordinary

ChipMunky wrote:
It was freaking awesome. Everyone in the audience loved it. It was so much funnier than the first, had so much more action and so much more Fox... mmm...

***.5/****

Loved it. Sure, the script and most of the dialogue was cheesy as hell... but it's TRANSFORMERS.

I doubt everyone loved it.
It was much funnier than the first or I should say had more comedic elements than the first.
Lots more Action, ya and Lots more Fox, ya. We're in agreement.
Dialogue from the bots was cheesy most of the time except for Bumblebee and Optimus but cheesy is one thing. Cheesy as Hell is another. They didn't have to go that low for jokes and what was with all the swear words. Mmm mmm mmm *shakes head*

At least you liked it. Good for you.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:41 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I did notice a ton more swears than the first... but really, so? It's not like it's an over abundance, so it's fine.

And the general reaction I got from the theater was great. I didn't hear any negative talk on the way out, and lots of laughs during the film.

And bABA also agrees that the dialogue was cheesy as hell.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:44 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

the female i accompanied to the movie with tonight couldn't get over how much Kayla has turned into a slut from the previous film to this one.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:47 pm
Extraordinary

get wrote:
the female i accompanied to the movie with tonight couldn't get over how much Kayla has turned into a slut from the previous film to this one.

I blieve her lips were especially glossy when she was doing finishing touches on a motorcycle. Maybe they should have had a real web chat sequence. Ah.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:52 pm
We had our time together

ChipMunky wrote:
Every single scene Fox was in... your eyes are just drawn to her.

Good god.

He's not lying.

But I actually thought she had less screen-time than in the first one.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Just back from the movie and I must say that it's B+ for pure entertainment, great action and stunning special effects.

Don't expect any plot or good dialogues.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
invading your spaces

I just think that in the first film you had a lot going on with Sam, Megan Fox, the parents, the marines, Jon Voight, the Australian lady, Anthony Anderson, and some Bumblebee development, and even the backyard sequence helped flesh out some of Ironhide, Ratchet and Prime more. I thought it was a delicate balance in that film but generally it worked.

This one is (seems?) longer, you do have a nice sequence with Starscream and Megatron, but you have this new hyped character... Sideswipe, who is just background and plays no part of the movie. You have The Fallen, who is rather lame and makes Megatron into a smaller threat minion, and he (The Fallen) and the sun-destroyer are dispatched rather quickly and easily but Jetfire Prime. Arcee is mentioned more than Sideswipe, and is shown about as much, no dimension. Soundwave has 3 lines and doesn't even land on earth. I can't remember the Constructicons having names or talking, but there seemed to be at least 50 of the same type of robot so Devastator's disappointing dispatch means nothing, because it seems like he has an endless amount of spare parts.

On top of that, while there's a hint of a further development in the Sam/Bumblebee relationship, it doesn't go anywhere, and you have a lot of other cool new Transformers, but nothing. Not even the marines are in the movie much. Jetfire is great, but is in 2 scenes with any dialog... too late in the movie, too little in the movie. Sure you have the Twins spouting off jokes every once in awhile and Wheelie humping Megan Fox's leg, but development... even on the level of the first Transformers, is so minimal.

It's not like Spider-Man 3. It's not an abomination of a movie or an embarassment watching Bumblebee dance down the street while dressed as an emo, and doesn't have a jazz dancing sequence (partially because he's dead, ba-dum-dum).

But yeah, I just wanted it to slow down and be more *about* the robots. The first one I understood as an alien invasion movie, that's how it was sold and it works. This one was supposed to be *about* the robots.

It goes back to my initial thing about sequels. You're only going to make 3-4 movies so you need to judge whether or not a story is worthy of being told on the screen... whether it is epic enough, and this one was not. It doesn't advance the overall story any. Sure Megatron is back up and kicking, but otherwise since the threat was a 3rd party intruder (the Fallen) and he was dispatched, things are basically back to where they were. And to me, in a movie series (or a TV series) that's a waste.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
invading your spaces

Padraig, in chat, pointed out something interesting about X2.

There you have a sequel to a good/mediocre opening film (X-Men) that expanded on a few key characters (Magneto, Prof. X, Wolverine, Jean Gray) gave some good scenes to smaller level characters (Iceman, Rogue, Pyro, Storm, Mystique, etc.), introduced and gave background to a significant new character (Nightcrawler) and had a 3rd party enemy (Striker) that not only helped flesh out a main character (Wolverine) but helped advance the overall plotline of the series (the acceptence of mutants).

All in a film that runs at least (or seemingly) 45 minutes leaner than Transformers 2.

But then again, this just highlights the brilliance of what everyone knows to be X2. Even the X2 plotline was silly as all hell. BUT IT WORKS. It's an amazing movie.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

I don't mind the cheesy-ness or low-jokes

.. as long as they worked

Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:05 pm
You must have big rats

roo wrote:
Padraig, in chat, pointed out something interesting about X2.

There you have a sequel to a good/mediocre opening film (X-Men) that expanded on a few key characters (Magneto, Prof. X, Wolverine, Jean Gray) gave some good scenes to smaller level characters (Iceman, Rogue, Pyro, Storm, Mystique, etc.), introduced and gave background to a significant new character (Nightcrawler) and had a 3rd party enemy (Striker) that not only helped flesh out a main character (Wolverine) but helped advance the overall plotline of the series (the acceptence of mutants).

All in a film that runs at least (or seemingly) 45 minutes leaner than Transformers 2.

But then again, this just highlights the brilliance of what everyone knows to be X2. Even the X2 plotline was silly as all hell. BUT IT WORKS. It's an amazing movie.

Well...d'uh.

No, seriously, X2 is terrific. Certainly one of the very very best summer blockbusters of the decade. Better than Spider-Man 2, the first Pirates (and sequels of course), even better than Batman Begins (IMO).

Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Well that was fun and a great follow up to the first one. As someone who grew up on the original cartoon in the 80's, I'm not sure why everyone is expecting any kind of coherent plot. It robots fighting that's it. Some have noted that they couldn't make out who was fighting who but I could see it very well. Also I didn't notice the hour lull that some have mentioned it was balls out action from beginning to end. If I have some complaints it's definately with the crude language and sexual overtones laced throughout, this is what will keep it from having repeat viewings. I had a ton of Family's with kids 7 and under at my showing and several walked out after they heard the 3rd s bomb and second humping. Bring on the 3rd

Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:16 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

:thumbsup:

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:50 pm
The Dark Knight

Lol looked at the Spider man 3 thread.

At first it okay with some B and C's and then by the end of the weekend, it was a Spider man hating thread...

Lets see what happens.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:13 pm
Teh Mexican

It was fun in most parts and incredible effects but the running time absolutely ruined everything. The action scenes were way to long and they turn from great fun to boring.

B

Am all for a second sequel, just cut the running time to two hours at most.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:48 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

It's not a total waste of time, but much like the first film Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen fails to deliver when it comes to telling a story that's actually interesting and engaging - instead getting too caught up in creating elaborate action sequences which all seem to top one another in terms of extravagance. The storyline makes no sense and by the end becomes quite goofy, with other devices lifted from many different films and massive cliches present throughout. Shia LaBeouf is easily the best here when it comes to performances, and shows a decent amount of charm and charisma here as he did in the first entry. Megan Fox is bland as usual but her performance improves here from the work she did in the first film. The rest of the characters are either so underdeveloped that they become irrelevant or are just plain grating. The roommate character was atrocious and annoying, and I couldn't wait for any moment when he wasn't onscreen. Same goes for the parents, whose ridiculous hijinks and bad one-liners quickly became grating and ridiculous. But most will be going to see this film hoping to see the Transformers themselves in action, in all their CGI glory. Does the film deliver on this front? It's hard to say. The action sequences are pretty exciting for the most part, but then they keep going...and going...and going. By the climactic final battle (which is, no joke, over forty minutes long) it just gets tiresome and dare I say it boring - and despite the phenomenal visual effects I found myself losing interest. It doesn't help that Bay directs the action sequences with no real flair, making it hard to distinguish what is exactly going on. The biggest problem this film faces is that it's overdone. Bay and co. have invested so much into trying to make this BIGGER and BETTER than the first film in terms of scope that something is lost along the way. A string of action sequences does not create a successful film.

---

And for the record, I was entertained by this at times - it's not a total waste and better than some of the other blockbusters this summer such as Angels and Demons and Wolverine for example.

Oh yeah, and I wasn't a big fan of the first film either.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:51 pm
Profile YIM
A very honest-hearted fellow

Did they enter the Smithsonian, where the found that old robot, only to exit in rural Nevada? Plus didn't Aaron from 24 die in the first film? I noticed 2 reused shots from Transformers 1: Predator Drone flight view and outerspace view of incoming autobots/decepticons.

C.

Last edited by Caius on Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:42 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I think the only good thing this film did for me was that it made me appreciate the first film a lot more. I thought the beginning was entertaining, and then...

For a 2 and a half hour movie there just isn't... much. And SO many cringe worthy scenes/lines. Jesus.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next