Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Miami Vice 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 14 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 12 ]
C 19%  19%  [ 8 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 42

Miami Vice 
Teenage Dream

makeshift wrote:
makeshift wrote:

I'll have some more thoughts later...

About that...

I guess I'll start with what everyone else is talking about - the look of the film. It's directed by Michael Mann who is one of our more gifted filmmakers visually, so you should know straight away that it's going to have great compositions and movement, and it does. What you may be surprised by due to Mann's new found love for the digital format is just how fucking great everything looks. This film looks better than Collateral, which for me was the previous benchmark for digital filmmaking. Every little light is picked up to perfection (the Miami skyline at night is stunning here), and Mann is able to push his camera into places that give the film an original look and a great sense of geography and movement (esepcially in the action scenes). Yes, there are several instances of grain, but to me that just enhanced the general tone of the film, which I guess brings me to what I liked most about Miami Vice...

The tone, mood, and feel of the film is magnificent. It's very dark and gritty, yes. But what caught me off gaurd was how damn lethal the film felt. The first hour and fourty five minutes or so is mostly exposition, with large groups of people talking about things we barely understand and constantly plotting out their next moves. In the hands of a less competent filmmaker, these moments would feel tedious, boring, and incomprehensible. With Mann, though, the film constantly feels like it's on the verge of a frenzy. Like it could erupt into a bloodbath at any moment. And this is where the true beauty of the film lies. Every single scene feels potentially explosive, whether it's with sexual energy or violence. And because of this, scenes that would normally drag fly by in a blur. Mann is a master at pulling the strings.

The story has been labeled incomprehensible by some. I think it's brilliant. Mann drops us right in the middle of the story, so it takes awhile for us to get our feet and follow right along. The thing is though, we never get to the point as an audience where we feel truly comfortable with what is happening. The entire scope of it all is just outside our reach. And that's the brilliance of it, and that's what Mann wants. He wants us to feel like the vice detectives the film is about. We have a fairly good handle on the proceedings, but everything feels dangerous because the corners aren't quite shaded in.

That, and the events are interesting and enthralling. I was deeply invested in what was occuring in the film at every moment. Whether it was the budding love story between Sonny and Isabella (Gong Li, who is brilliant here), or the unravelling of the drug syndicate that goes much deeper than the detectives originally thought, my eyes were glued to the screen.

The action sequences are brilliant. Yes, there are only two or three true scenes of action (and they're mostly confined to the final thirty minutes), but I actually think that benefits the film. Mann lets the tension build and build until it finally explodes in a huge blaze of brilliantly bloody gun play. As I touched on earlier, Mann's camera movements give the action sequences a feeling of geography and movement that most action films can't touch. A great example of this is the climactic shootout.

So, yeah... I love this film. It's definitely not what most people will be expecting (advertising it as an action film was a mistake), but it's easily one of the best films of the year.

you're barred from using "brilliant" for at least 4 months.

Anything for you, love.

Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:46 am
Homo Dperious

Loved it. It didn't just blast away my lowered expectations, but my original expectation, and I was highly anticipating this film all year. I was waiting all year for a movie that really would be among my all-time favorites. I loved V and United 93, and Waist Deep could have been it if not for the ending. But, this is it. This is the movie of the year so far for me. 8.5/10; A

Visuals were good, actually great at some parts. Action was good, but it doesn't even near my favorites (Pearl Harbor, Bad Boys II, I, Robot, Hero, House of Flying Daggers, POTC 2, Underworld 2).

The plot was great. I loved the dialogue; funny and witty. It makes you think just to get it. This reminds be of Spartan actually. I'm glad the plot was complex and forced me to keep pace. There was so much going on; I loved it. It entertained me the whole way though. There are not many movies without a series of the simple predictable plot gimmicks you usually see. Yeah, there were a couple predictable things, but I guess you can't expect perfection. There are usually about 3 movie plots each year that entirely occupy my mind through the film. This was one.

Mann is now only the 2nd director to make 4 movies I've given an A to. Other is Tony Scott. I think he's now my 2nd favorite director after Alex Proyas. I'll never doubt him again after this.

Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:57 am
Profile ICQ
Team Kris

Slow and boring. If not for the great gun fight at the end I would have given this an D.

C

Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Everything before the trailer park scene was decent... About a B-

But everything from that scene on... was fantastic... or about an A+

So... the whole movie comes to...

9.2/10 A

The action scenes were incredible.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:26 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Everything before the trailer park scene was decent... About a B-

But everything from that scene on... was fantastic... or about an A+

So... the whole movie comes to...

9.2/10 A

The action scenes were incredible.

So you ditched the little brother huh?? Good call.. See how much you overreacted to AMC and their Policies and all that could've been avoided by simply kicking the brother to the curb in the first place..

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:18 am
Profile WWW

Technically it was great, the camerawork was wodnerful, the fight scenes and death scenes were well done, the actors did well with a piss poor script were nothing happen sin 2 and half hours.

This film is saved by Mann and the good actors, but who thought this scrpt was good? I can;t even remeber the names of any of the characters they ahve so little personality and development as people.

C

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:45 am

Technically it was great, the camerawork was wodnerful, the fight scenes and death scenes were well done, the actors did well with a piss poor script were nothing happen sin 2 and half hours.

This film is saved by Mann and the good actors, but who thought this scrpt was good? I can;t even remeber the names of any of the characters they ahve so little personality and development as people.

C

I still haven't seen this yet, but perhaps the things you mentioned that were wrong in the movie could be tightened up for DVD or not?? Perhaps the time that was cut from the movie could be put back in to make it flow better?? :-k

Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:30 am
Profile WWW
I'm Batman

What an average, average movie. I mean nothing at all stands out as great but nothing really stands out as flat out terrible. It's easy to tell it's a Mann film because it looks exactly like Collateral (which is good), but doesn't have half the script or cast (which is bad). It was basically Colin Farrell as himself with Jamie Foxx as himself and Gong Li as I have no point being in this film whatsoever and cannot speak english...woman. So yeah...not worth the $10.

-C

Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:22 pm

Ripper wrote:

C

I still haven't seen this yet, but perhaps the things you mentioned that were wrong in the movie could be tightened up for DVD or not?? Perhaps the time that was cut from the movie could be put back in to make it flow better?? :-k

Doubt it, there is no almost nothing to the plot in terms of establishing the characters as people. Cutting things will mak eit go faster, but its juts such a mediocre script. In fact most of the characters int he film make such idiotic decisions, that I don;t get how they got to be undercover cops.

The entire club scene makes no bloody sense whatsoever.

Just rent Collateral, a much better film.

Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:25 pm
Team Kris

Speaking of the club scene in the beginning, was that a prostitution ring they're trying to flush out that they suddenly ignored in favor of the drug ring or what?

Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:29 pm

Speaking of the club scene in the beginning, was that a prostitution ring they're trying to flush out that they suddenly ignored in favor of the drug ring or what?

I didn't mean that club scene, I mean the second where Jaie Foxx intorduced is girlfirned ot the bad guy for the sole purpose of fetting her kidnapped and Colin Farrell danced very suggestively with Gong Li for the sole purpose of pissing off her husband in attmept ot get there whole team killed.

Great, undercover team there.

What a stupid fucking script.

Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:43 pm
Mod Team Leader

It was okay, glad i saw, will never see it again.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:19 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

it was a good movie actually especially for some nostalgic moment we missed from the TV shows. anyhow the weakness from Miami Vice is the duration for the movie is too fu**in' long. too tired to see some "don't needed" scene. Farrell performance as Crockett doesn't show any charisma like Don Johnson did in the TV series. as for Jamie Foxx, i have to give him two thumbs up. he really fits Tubbs character very well. the action was good but not great (compare to HEAT). overall i still can enjoy the movie. i really hope to see sequel of this movie in the future, but i don't think that wuld be possible. my grade is B

Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:48 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Mod Team Leader

My favourite scene in the film, and it was exceptionally well done, is the rescue scene of Tubbs girlfriend. That was classic Mann. Too bad the rest of the movie wasn't as intense as that.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

What a HUGE disappointment this was. Horribly edited, hated the camera work; in some scene it kind of felt like a was watching Cops, awful pacing, uninteresting and confusing plot and boring as hell!.

This movie didnt have ANY action scenes, im just confused because im not sure if even watched the same movie as you guys.

D

I refuse to believe this is a Michael Mann film :disgust:

Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:49 pm
Orphan

What a HUGE disappointment this was. Horribly edited, hated the camera work; in some scene it kind of felt like a was watching Cops, awful pacing, uninteresting and confusing plot and boring as hell!.

This movie didnt have ANY action scenes, im just confused because im not sure if even watched the same movie as you guys.

D

Agree except Cops is more exciting :tongue:

Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:58 pm
Teh Mexican

matatonio wrote:

D

Agree except Cops is more exciting :tongue:

indeed

Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:03 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

The trailer park scene?

The almost final scene in the movie?

Those were pretty hardcore.

Did you walk out... kinda like 5 stupid people in my screening...?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:37 pm
College Boy Z

Hmm, well, the camera work in Miami Vice is just like all of Mann's films, from what I can remember. I think that should be expected.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:07 pm
Teh Mexican

No action scenes?

The trailer park scene?

The almost final scene in the movie?

Those were pretty hardcore.

Did you walk out... kinda like 5 stupid people in my screening...?

Action scenes should be thrilling, which those werent. After the 1st 1/2 hour i just gave up on the movie, i was extremely bored to death. And no i didnt walk out but a few people actually did.

Collateral is one of my all time favorite movies and i didnt have problem with the camara work, but that movie was thrilling and suspenful.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:05 pm
Extraordinary

The action scenes were too little too late, the last action scene was like a cheap ass version of Heat's heist scene.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:09 pm
Orphan

The action scenes were too little too late, the last action scene was like a cheap ass version of Heat's heist scene.

Agree. The few action scenes weren't exciting and poorly filmed to boot. The shoot-out looked like something you might see in a direct-to-video film. In fact, in many ways it resembled the shootout at the beginning of Edison Force. MV was an awful film.

Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:17 pm
Where will you be?

Wow, I loved it. It wasn't shoot outs every five minutes, but this isn't Bad Boys II here, it's a crime drama. It was far, far more thrilling then say Scarface or many other films like it. It's an absolutely beautiful film to look at, with hypnotic cinematography and editing that engages like few movies can. A-

Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:59 pm

Wow, I loved it. It wasn't shoot outs every five minutes, but this isn't Bad Boys II here, it's a crime drama. It was far, far more thrilling then say Scarface or many other films like it. It's an absolutely beautiful film to look at, with hypnotic cinematography and editing that engages like few movies can. A-

Since I saw The DESCENT, I now have to catch this movie at least before it leaves the theatre.. Or maybe just wait for the DVD and catch the Boat Race Scene in it's entirety since Mann apparently cut it from the film.. The boat used in this movie was Custom Made and cost close to 30,000,000 I read..

Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:24 am
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

Glad you liked it. At least some people saw what I did in it.

I don't get why WOM has been so poor. I didn't really see anything wrong with it.

Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:30 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next