Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Wonka weekend thread 
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Wonka weekend thread
He definitely can’t carry a film on his own. But he is picking smart, maybe an Orlando bloom type relevance.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:36 pm
now we know

People aren't seeing the new Chalamet movie. They're seeing the new Wonka movie. He ain't A-list. KJ always does this. It throws around terms at the drop of a hat. A-list is A-list for a reason. It's exclusive, and not everyone can be in it just because you like them.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

If we are being honest, virtually nobody had been able use non-IP roles to become true A list box office draw in decades. Leo established himself with Romeo and Juliet, Titanic and then Scorsese assistance. The industry SHOVED the like of Josh Hartnett and Jennifer Lawrences down peoples throats for a time, but Hollywood simply can't force anyone into a list status anymore. The role and film itself simply play huge roles now. Joaquin Phoenix and Maargot Robbie arent much on their own, but cast them as Joker or Barbie and thing explode. Just the way it works wowadays.

With that basis in mind, I would say Chalamet is about as A list as anyone under 30 right now. TC given leading roles in major franchisee/director films will add to its hype mores than if Jacob Elordi or Tom Holland were cast in it.

Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:25 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

I'm with Algren on this. People went out to see Wonka for 'Wonka'. Tim certainly didnt hurt it and perhaps even brought in a few million - but I think most prominent actors that fit the character could have made it work.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:30 pm
Extraordinary

Eh. I think Chalamet as Wonka had some pull. Not to the point being he's the only reason it's doing well but some random actor in the role wouldn't have been as appealing.

Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:22 pm
Hold the door!

Chalamet would’ve been amazing in the role if his voice was more tuneful.

As he is just an ok singer, he was merely very good.

Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:34 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Algren wrote:
Yeah, lol. Chalamet isn't A-list because of one hit. Typical KJ blowing everything out of proportion.

He's A list because he's really famous, easily the most famous young actor now, and this is hardly his first hit film. Call Me By Your Name was huge for the type of film it was and it was all about his performance. Little Women, Lady Bird both did very well. Dune he was the lead and it did $100M+. Now Wonka is heading to $200M+. Dune 2 could also do that much next year. In today's day and age where anything that's not IP struggles, I would say that makes him A list. The movie and magazine industries will certainly treat him as such from now on. At least A- list. He's proven he is a personality who can headline hit movies in different genres (space adventure and family musical), even if they're both IP, but they're hardly Marvel movies. Both could've easily flopped.

Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:40 pm
Extraordinary

Godzilla went up with actuals and apparently pulled $5M this weekend (-41.3%) for a $34.4M total.

Excited to finally start seeing some holiday bump ups in dailies, we're so close to probably the best week to follow box office of the year!

Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:13 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Chalamant is an a list celebrity, not an A list actor, there is a difference. Watch entourage. You know how low key is because Grant is hating the role and getting all the praise

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:12 pm
The Kramer

If Chalomet isn't an a-lister then nobody is. There's not a single actor who can open a non-ip film with their name as the biggest draw in the marketing. Not a single one. Not everyone can be excluded just cause some people don't like them.

Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:04 am
Extraordinary

Wonka Monday $4M

We're closer to Christmas now but for comparison's sake, on Monday Dec. 16th, Jumanji 2 made $3,585,828.

It's further out but Narnia was $4,654,664 at Monday Dec. 19th, 2005 but that was it's 11th day. Still I feel the Narnia multi quadrant family crowd might have a lot of overlap with Wonka.

Narnia made $178.5M from that Monday to the end of its run. If Wonka follows that it would get to $196.4M total. Likely to surpass that since it just opened but this Monday all but guarantees in my mind $200M+ as the floor now (5.12X multiplier). No sign of rush out factor.

Last edited by O on Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Feels like it could have been better

Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:48 pm
100% That Bitch

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
If Chalomet isn't an a-lister then nobody is. There's not a single actor who can open a non-ip film with their name as the biggest draw in the marketing. Not a single one. Not everyone can be excluded just cause some people don't like them.

Tom Holland says Hi. Th Gen Z Holy Trinty are Tom Holand/Zendaya/Chalomet.

Tom is #1 by far

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:13 pm
Extraordinary

I feel like Jenna Ortega will also probably be there within 1-2 years.

We'll know Zendaya's box office pull soon with Challengers. With anyone else in that movie would probably do under $20M.

Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Impressed Saltburn got to $10m+ despite its biggest weekend being $1.8m. In an empty market and not so early streaming release probably could've gone closer to $20m.

Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:24 pm
Extraordinary

Best top 10 holds on Monday:

Trolls +47.2%
Wish +13.6%
Hunger Games +6.6%
Saltburn -6.2%
Napoleon -19.9%

Wish's PTA has gone up 24.5%. Maybe it can squeak it's way to $65M or something. $68.9M would give it a 3.5X multiplier. If Migration outright flops will keep Wish around longer than expected.

HG could be at just under $150M going into the pre-Christmas weekend. It's set up very well to have a solid holiday run.

Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:00 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Wish and Napoleon, despite both being flops, should get to 70mish if they don’t lose all their theaters tomorrow night to the new releases

Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:38 am

Napoleon is one of those flops that if the film was more generic it would have been a huge hit. People, particularly dads like me just wanted a full scale big budget war film that showcased the battles and his rise and fall. Instead we got half of that and half a quirky sex comedy. People were talking about this film and it just failed at the finish line.

Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2