Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Thanksgiving weekend thread 
Hold the door!

Post Re: Thanksgiving weekend thread
Shack wrote:
Seems like Wish could still save some face if it has a big Saturday and then holiday legs.

Saturday will stay flat. Looking at like 20-22m for the weekend.

Just awful. It will fall 60% post thanksgiving and close with sub 75m domestic

Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:34 pm
Quality is a great business plan

Saturday will be flattish for everything. Some of the movies will even drop slightly. PS for today is actually down for Top 3.

I used to be shawman.

Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:57 pm
Extraordinary

Wish below Napoleon... lol

Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:02 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Rough for Wish. I doubt it's a leading contributor to its failure given the scale, but I wonder how much releasing the songs, running them in TV commercials, and letting everyone know who the villain is (at least I presume so based on the ads) in the marketing.

I'd prefer to have not heard any of the songs before I see the movie, and I don't like how they've been marketing the villain (again, presumably unless there's some twist in it).

I'll see it, but expectations are lowered because of having heard some of or part of many songs (makes them less interesting when they'll come on during the movie) and having the villain already established (presumably).

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Corpse wrote:
Rough for Wish. I doubt it's a leading contributor to its failure given the scale, but I wonder how much releasing the songs, running them in TV commercials, and letting everyone know who the villain is (at least I presume so based on the ads) in the marketing.

I'd prefer to have not heard any of the songs before I see the movie, and I don't like how they've been marketing the villain (again, presumably unless there's some twist in it).

I'll see it, but expectations are lowered because of having heard some of or part of many songs (makes them less interesting when they'll come on during the movie) and having the villain already established (presumably).
Eh there's like maybe five minutes in between Chris Pine's character being introduced and his heel turn. Not alot of subtlety going on in Wish. :unsure: :P

The box office is dire. Hopefully Beyonce and Godzilla can put some sparks in it before Christmas break starts.

Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:58 pm
Hold the door!

Corpse wrote:

I like being familiar with the songs before the film. It’s kinda like how they used to release concept albums before musicals debuted on Broadway. Allows the audience to fall in love wit the music before seeing the movie.

Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:58 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Another huge bomb for Disney

Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:55 pm
Extraordinary

... so Disney doesn't have a film opening till Inside Out...? Maybe under another division but wow.

Wish and Marvels doing this badly is so sad. They need to really focus on making better movies as both of these, while don't deserve to do this badly, are not good.

Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:04 pm

There is planet of the apes movie releasing in May during Memorial day weekend. But not sure if that is going to break out. Inside Out 2 is probably their best bet for 2024. I am kind of mixed on Deadpool 3 as well. Gen Z seem to have soured on SH movies and its not as if Fox characters are missed that much. Just Deadpool/Wolverine itself does not guarantee mega breakout.

I used to be shawman.

Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:02 pm
Extraordinary

Deadpool 3 is going to be like mini NWH. It'll be huge regardless.

Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:07 pm
Hold the door!

Deadpool 3 should at least match 2.

Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:15 pm
Devil's Advocate

I can see the argument for Disney animation just coincidentally struggling at the same time as superheroes for quality reasons and they can turn it all around like Robbie from 2022 to 2023, but I’m betting against true superhero movies (maybe Joker doesn’t count) until proven otherwise, even for Deadpool 3.

Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:36 pm
Extraordinary

I went back to 1980 and we may see something that's not happened over the past 43 years.

Though we were close with The Last Samaraii in 2003 almost getting past The Cat In The Hat's 3day Thanksgiving weekend, if Beyonce's concert movie makes more than this weekend's #1 movie, it would be the first time we see the top post Thanksgiving weekend film outgross the top Thanksgiving weekend film.

If Renaissance does $25M+ it has a chance to outgross HG's performance this weekend.

Sad that the post Thanksgiving weekend seems more interesting now than the actual Thanksgiving box office. :sweat:

Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:54 pm
Profile WWW

Everything seems to be dropping today. Hunger Games has held the best.

I used to be shawman.

Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:12 am

Family movies took a tumble. Trolls 6.5m and Wish from Charlie is 7m. Only Hunger Games held well at 11.1m. Wish makes Marvels OW look good.

I used to be shawman.

Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:06 pm
Devil's Advocate

Seems solid for The Holdovers (+2% for the weekend). Green Book after same amount of time had about 17 million while it is at 13.

The Hunger Games is almost at 200 WW already.

The Marvels after Thanksgiving 3rd weekend is still under Five Nights at Freddy’s opening weekend

Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:12 pm
Extraordinary

Kinda sad Hunger Games potential total of $140m+ is looking like a win because of everything else but at least its drop looks great.

Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:01 pm
Hold the door!

Holdovers will easily out gross most of the Bp nominees from the last 2 years. Strange, as it didn’t look anymore commercially viable than Licorice Pizza to me.

Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:10 pm
Veteran

Oppenheimer is still tracking. Over 100 theaters and still 5-digit grosses. 5 months now. Wow.

I was blind, but now I see.

Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:56 pm
Extraordinary

Napoleon actual is $300K higher for $20.7M 3day weekend, $32.8M 5day weekend.

Solid and despite being meh would still be nice if it does somehow make a run for $100M for box office's sake.

Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

O wrote:
Napoleon actual is $300K higher for $20.7M 3day weekend, $32.8M 5day weekend.

Solid and despite being meh would still be nice if it does somehow make a run for $100M for box office's sake.

Would be nice but it'll probably be around 80m unless it gets a huge Xmas boost.

Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:54 pm
Devil's Advocate

If Napoleon was a more awesome movie it could have been so big.

Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:59 pm
Extraordinary

The only good thing to come out of Napoleon it shows as a proof of concept that type of historical war epic is still something moviegoers would want to see (outside of Nolan).

It just didn't deliver quality wise. Even though it's Ridley again, and Crowe-less, I feel it's a good primer for Gladiator 2. The original would adjust to $375M now. Gladiator was also the top selling DVD of 2000. Think it has a very big audience that are fans of the original and even grossing half of the original's box office could do close to $200M. If it's legit high quality, who knows.

It's also a good testament to the starpower of Joaquin in this type of role. Even if he wasn't full evil mode that moviegoers love to see him in during the movie, I feel like last Duel's box office of $31M domestic shows just how much pull he has to drive Napoleon as large as it was. No one was asking for a Napoleon movie but he did pique moviegoers curiosity.

Joker 2 is still going to be a monster box office wise.

Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

zwackerm wrote:
Holdovers will easily out gross most of the Bp nominees from the last 2 years. Strange, as it didn’t look anymore commercially viable than Licorice Pizza to me.

Holdovers is much much more of a crowd-pleaser though. WOM from audiences is better. That definitely helps. I saw it yesterday and thought it was wonderful. It was a full theater and everyone seemed really into it. A lot of laughter.

I also saw Saltburn for the third time and The Hunger Games. I'm glad the latter had a great Thanksgiving frame. I hope it continues to hold well. I thought it was easily the best in the series since Catching Fire.

Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:38 pm
Devil's Advocate

It took until seeing him in his real hair to realize how handsome Blythe is, him and Zegler would be best looking movie pairing in a while if Barbie hadn’t just come out. Nice to see another potential star along with others like Butler and Mescal recently. Let’s get Holland out of here and bring in some real new leading men, even Chalamet while he’s talented it always seemed a bit too boyish.

Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next