Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Dunkirk 225m+ Club - THE DREAM IS DEAD 
Homo Dperious

Post Re: Dunkirk 225m+ Club - THE DREAM IS DEAD
The preview numbers were strong and showed built in frontloading. It's hold very well considering that.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:51 am
Profile ICQ
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Algren wrote:
I find it funny how it is labelled pretension because there is no handsome McConaughey or dashing DiCaprio to hold your hand and make you feel comfortable through the intense battle scenes.

Not sure where this is coming from??

As a Nolan fan myself, the lack of dialogue and lack of leading men were not problems. It was refreshing to see Nolan almost pull off a George Miller, and go with very minimal dialogue. It was also refreshing to see a truly ensemble film with no clear lead. I had other problems with the film, which I still need to watch a second time to accurately judge.

I found a ton of pretentiousness in Kenneth Branagh's portrayal as Commander Bolton. Just the way he acted and portrayed the character...for me it gave off a lot of pretentiousness, and several times I noticed very smug looks on his face, which took me out of the film every time I saw those looks on his face.

Also Nolan made it very clear this was not a war film, but a survival film. However I found it pretentious on the part of Nolan to be so dedicated to that PG-13 rating, yet so clearly coining it as a survival film. The lack of realistic blood and gore, given the environment of the film and nature of the film's events, for me was fairly detracting and took me out of the immersion of the film a fair bit. Literally the only thing that kept me immersed was the IMAX footage, given I was lucky enough to watch it in 70mm IMAX. Had Nolan gone for a hard-R rating, and had realistic blood and gore, I think would have tremendously added to the overall impact of the film as well as the realism and intensity of the survival story.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:06 am
now we know

Semantics.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:34 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Not sure if $225m was a consensus pick. $175m sounds about right. Still a success.

I was blind, but now I see.

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:50 am
Cream of the Crop

Last edited by tree and a half on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:34 pm
The Kramer

61 would be fine if it wasn't for the rather ridiculous placements of Interstellar and The Prestige. And didn't Memento used to be in the top 20? What happened there?

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:14 pm
Homo Dperious

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
61 would be fine if it wasn't for the rather ridiculous placements of Interstellar and The Prestige. And didn't Memento used to be in the top 20? What happened there?

More mainstream audience must have watched it as his name became more famous.

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:20 pm
Profile ICQ

tree and a half wrote:
After debuting much higher on IMDb's Top 250 list, Dunkirk has plummeted to #61 and is falling fast. I wouldn't be surprised to see it out of the top 150 when the DVD is released. Other than the pre-cult Insomnia, this is a long overdue slap in the face for Nolan from his fans. Hopefully he will take it as a wake-up call and start making good movies again.

- 4. The Dark Knight
- 14. Inception
- 32. Interstellar
- 47. The Prestige
- 48. Memento
↓ 61. Dunkirk
- 64. The Dark Knight Rises
- 115. Batman Begins

Agreed. Also not that I pay much attention to IMDB user ratings these days, but The Dark Knight Rises and Batman Begins are much better films than Dunkirk IMO. I hope Dunkirk's user score settles somewhere below Batman Begins.

Nolan did recently mention that he will be "returning to dialogue in the future" so hopefully his next film will be a return to his proper form.

Also I feel he's at his best when he is doing an original fiction screenplay, and is aided by his brother Jonathan. Jonathan helps with bits of advice on every Nolan film, but as I understand it, Jonathan played virtually no role in Dunkirk's script. It seems like this was strictly a personal pet project for Chris Nolan. Some of my favourite Nolan films, as well as his most popular/audience acclaimed films have all had Jonathan help with the script and get a screenplay co-credit. That includes exceptions like Inception where he was not credited, but nonetheless he helped with the screenplay.

Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:58 pm
now we know

Bradley really cares about IMDB/Rotten Tomatoes/MetaCritic scores. Weird for someone to care so much yet have such an apparent affliction to "groupthink".

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Thatguy wrote:
Algren wrote:
I find it funny how it is labelled pretension because there is no handsome McConaughey or dashing DiCaprio to hold your hand and make you feel comfortable through the intense battle scenes.

I found a ton of pretentiousness in Kenneth Branagh's portrayal as Commander Bolton. Just the way he acted and portrayed the character...for me it gave off a lot of pretentiousness, and several times I noticed very smug looks on his face, which took me out of the film every time I saw those looks on his face.

So basically, "He's an asshole. I don't like his face. His asshole face."

Quote:
Also Nolan made it very clear this was not a war film, but a survival film. However I found it pretentious on the part of Nolan to be so dedicated to that PG-13 rating, yet so clearly coining it as a survival film. The lack of realistic blood and gore, given the environment of the film and nature of the film's events, for me was fairly detracting and took me out of the immersion of the film a fair bit. Literally the only thing that kept me immersed was the IMAX footage, given I was lucky enough to watch it in 70mm IMAX. Had Nolan gone for a hard-R rating, and had realistic blood and gore, I think would have tremendously added to the overall impact of the film as well as the realism and intensity of the survival story.

You want the blood and gore of a typical combat war film even though Nolan specifically stated he wasn't making a typical war film but rather a survival film?

The movie is already overwhelming as it is. If there was ever a war movie that didn't need gore, this was it, since the movie was about survival and isn't really a war movie. Speaking of which, there isn't a ton of hand-to-hand combat, people getting shot/blowing up, etc., to begin with. Where would there be gore and why does it have to be there? The opening? Works perfectly as it is. On the beach where the bombs go off side by side? The soldiers completely evaporating works. Did we need a shot of Georgie's skull?

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:00 pm
Profile WWW

I've been perfectly fine with Kenneth Branagh's performances in other films. It was specifically in this film, the body language he had, and his specific performance that I didn't like. So yes, his smug face specifically in this film really grated me. He wasn't the director though, Nolan was.

A survival film shot in the context of a war environment... is still a survival film in the context of a war environment. Also Nolan has specifically pointed out that he tried to be historically accurate in many of the details. So given the priority of historical accuracy as well, for me, the lack of gore and full realism detracted somewhat from the film. No there wasn't a huge need for gore. The scenes though that did require gore and blood for 100% full realism didn't have it, because of Nolan's dedication for the PG-13 rating. Some of the bodies on stretchers seemed to have a lack of blood and visual injuries. Also yes, the bombs going off on the beaches should have produced flying body parts and not simply evaporated soldiers. Some of the action scenes in the water should have had more visible blood in the water. Also the bombing scenes with the soldiers on the mole, there should have been more realistic blood and gore. Blood and gore at 70mm IMAX resolution would have upped the intensity of the film even more. It truly would have made you feel what it was truly like for those young soldiers at Dunkirk.

It doesn't matter if this wasn't a war film. This was a historically accurate survival film, directly based on a real life event that occurred in World War 2. Mute the volume, and pop in Saving Private Ryan for a few minutes. Then compare to the action footage in Dunkirk. The difference is striking in terms of actual realism in a war setting (relating to gore and the psychological devastation of seeing that go on around you). In reality, that is not what the action around the evacuation at Dunkirk would have truly looked like and felt like psychologically, due to the lack of full gore and blood.

Nolan has done a wonderful job with most of his films. I've had no issues with the lack of blood or gore in his previous films, as many of his films have had a 'heightened reality'. If this was not a historically accurate film, if it was a film with a heightened reality, then I would have had zero problems with the lack of gore.

However this was a different film, a historical film full of accurate details that (strictly speaking) accurately portrayed the survival aspect of the Dunkirk evacuation. However it would have been more accurate had Nolan gone all the way into an R rating with fully realistic blood and gore. If historical accuracy and paying respect to the Allied soldiers at Dunkirk was the goal of Nolan here, then he should have gone for an R rating, reduced worldwide revenues be damned. However, if the goal was simply more of a pet project due to a personal love of that historical moment at Dunkirk for Nolan, and to increase worldwide recognition of what happened at Dunkirk... well then mission accomplished I guess.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:55 am
Cream of the Crop

Nolan is stuck with making PG-13 films, because the majority of his fanbase come onboard when they're under 18. Those over 18 watched their first Nolan film as kids and now can't admit to themselves that their adulation was immature, so they double down on the Nolan bandwagon. I feel sorry for Nolan because he is trapped by his own box office success with the tweenage demographic. :(

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:14 am

tree and a half wrote:
Nolan is stuck with making PG-13 films, because the majority of his fanbase come onboard when they're under 18. Those over 18 watched their first Nolan film as kids and now can't admit to themselves that their adulation was immature, so they double down on the Nolan bandwagon. I feel sorry for Nolan because he is trapped by his own box office success with the tweenage demographic. :(

For his last few films, the demographics have been steadily getting older though. His last major film that had massive tween appeal was Inception. The Dark Knight Rises, Interstellar, and Dunkirk all gradually appealed to more older audiences.

I know he's stuck, because he's a top director. The irony is, he has so much creative freedom and leeway, he could easily go to an R rating if he really wanted to, and there would be nothing that WB would say.

For me the rating was only an issue in Dunkirk anyways. His other films have had rated R content thematically, and the heightened reality for me worked really well that I didn't need the blood and gore in his other films.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:35 am
now we know

...and it would still make $150m in the US.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:39 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah I don't think it will do huge in expansion. I believe it will be released in home media by awards season, it just doesn't make sense financially to keep it in theaters for so long.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:10 am
Cream of the Crop

Last edited by tree and a half on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:44 am
Superfreak

Finally saw it. While I did enjoy it, there is clearly a bigger masterpiece here that needed 45 minutes more of a time and $75m worth of budget. The scale with regards to the # of soldiers and boats feels tiny. We see maybe a dozen civilian boats and then are told "all 300,000 evacuated".

The lack of nazi's or build up clearly hurts the movie. There's no sense of urgency whatsoever.

Solid movie but feels like Nolan was barely trying here when compared to TDK films, Inception, or even Lessthanstellar.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:23 am
Cream of the Crop

tree and a half wrote:
tree and a half wrote:
After debuting much higher on IMDb's Top 250 list, Dunkirk has plummeted to #61 and is falling fast. I wouldn't be surprised to see it out of the top 150 when the DVD is released. Other than the pre-cult Insomnia, this is a long overdue slap in the face for Nolan from his fans. Hopefully he will take it as a wake-up call and start making good movies again.

- 4. The Dark Knight
- 14. Inception
- 32. Interstellar
- 47. The Prestige
- 48. Memento
↓ 61. Dunkirk
- 64. The Dark Knight Rises
- 115. Batman Begins

Now, nine days later, Dunkirk has dropped six spots to #67.

At this rate (↓6 spots / 9 days ⋍ 244 days), Dunkirk will be out of IMDb's Top 250 on April 21, 2018.

Thought you disliked the fanboys on IMDB?

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

redfirebird2008 wrote:

The point is that with Dunkirk, even the fanboys are abandoning ship.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:16 am
Cream of the Crop

tree and a half wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:

The point is that with Dunkirk, even the fanboys are abandoning ship.

General audience isn't. Pretty good legs at the box office.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:17 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Dunkirk is overrated and at times a bore. It's quite slow. Has it's moments. Hopefully, Nolan doesn't something more interesting and innovative next time around.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:44 am
Cream of the Crop

Last edited by tree and a half on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:27 pm
Begging Naked

Magnus wrote:
I would argue that given how empty the marketplace was in August, its legs are quite meh. It should have done 4.0+ easily with this competition. Once the premiere theaters got taken away/reduced, its legs were much worse.

In fact, I would go as far to say this film had the least impressive legs of any Nolan film since Insomnia. It's end total is only respectable cause it opened big.

This and Girls Trip have had confusingly weak legs. Both two two of the last big openers of the season, and both are the type of films with reputations for strong legs, and yet neither film has had a sub-35% drop. No clue what happened there. Still great totals for both, but it seemed like it should have been more for both.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Looks like Labor Day 4-day will be around $5.2 million. Should finish between $185-187m domestic. Pretty damn good result given the subject matter.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:47 am
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Same total as Interstellar. It seems $180-$190m is the ceiling for Nolan's "popcorn entertainment for intellectuals" type films. Inception managed to break out thanks to its concept.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next