Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Screen Counts and Crowd Reports (June 20-22) 
Pure Phase

Post Screen Counts and Crowd Reports (June 20-22)
I ain't happy, I'm feeling glad
I got sunshine in a bag
I'm useless, but not for long
The future is coming on
It's coming on (Poof)
It's coming on, it's coming on, it's coming on...

Yeah... Ha ha!
Finally someone let me out of my cage
Now time for me is nothing 'cause I'm counting no age
Now I couldn't be there
Now you shouldn't be scared
I'm good at repairs
And I'm under each snare

Intangible
Bet you didn't think, so I command you to
Panoramic view
Look, I'll make it all manageable

Pick and choose
Sit and lose
All you different crews
Chicks and dudes
Who you think is really kicking tunes?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:06 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Screen Counts and Crowd Reports (June 20-22)
Jersey Boys: 2 screens, 9 showtimes per day
Think Like a Man Too: 2 screens, 11 showtimes

Ida: 1 screen, 5 showtimes
The Rover: 1 screen, 5 showtimes

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:10 pm
why so serious?

Think Like a Man Too is getting three screens to Jersey Boys' one at the multiplex that I frequent. No surprise there.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:04 pm
Extraordinary

Surprised my theater actually got The Rover, guess I'll go see it.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:02 pm
now we know

I've never understood why song lyrics are used as the opening post in this series of threads. Why isn't it movie quotes? or song lyrics from movie songs?

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:23 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Well that wouldn't be unique, would it?

Here at KJ, we're unique folk. Hence why we don't like outsiders.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:50 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

How to Train Your Dragon 2 - 03:50PM

Large Auditorium (30-40% full)
Audience: Appeared fairly balanced between families and adult crowds (18-30 year olds)
Trailers: Home, The Penguins of Madagascar, Annie, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

The theatre was pretty busy for mid-day. A lot of people that were in front of us were buying tickets to Jersey Boys (Dragon or Maleficent would have been 2nd/3rd).

Annie overexposure! I went to a different theater today and still got it... they even had a preview of it before the trailers...

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Last edited by Corpse on Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:51 pm
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

Intriguing, makes me think again about whether the 56% under-25 statistic had a sizable portion of 18-25 year olds WITHOUT kids.

Did you pay attention to many of the audience members without kids were female? The 56% under 25, 53% female statistic, plus Jon's story about 18-25 year old females overwhelmingly recommending the movie to him, plus the fact that HTTYD's Internet fandom is predominantly that same demographic, just makes me ponder if it's a bigger hit with young adults WITHOUT families than families with kids...

Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:58 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

TServo2049 wrote:
Intriguing, makes me think again about whether the 56% under-25 statistic had a sizable portion of 18-25 year olds WITHOUT kids.

Did you pay attention to many of the audience members without kids were female? The 56% under 25, 53% female statistic, plus Jon's story about 18-25 year old females overwhelmingly recommending the movie to him, plus the fact that HTTYD's Internet fandom is predominantly that same demographic, just makes me ponder if it's a bigger hit with young adults WITHOUT families than families with kids...

Today was the 4th time I've seen it since last Friday and the audience each time has been mostly the same.

Scattered families with different young adult (18-30) pairs/groups. I haven't seen hardly any single viewers at any of the showings, though. Over half of the adult pairs are females, but it's not overwhelmingly so. I've watched it in 3D once, and it had more families than the 2D showings have. I see most animated films in theaters (except for stuff like The Nut Job), and it's safe to say Dragon 2 has had more adults than any that I can recall since probably Wreck-It Ralph.

I'll probably see it again tomorrow, so I'll keep a closer eye out on the gender breakdown. We're almost always the first ones there, so it shouldn't be difficult.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Saw a 2:00 showing of Think Like a Man Too. Was like 30 people scattered in a 250 seater. Trailers were Hercules, Guardians of the Galaxy, Get On Up, Dear White People, The Wedding Ringer, Transformers (that stupid AMC exclusive trailer ain't doing **** for it...) and The Equalizer.

Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:05 pm
Pure Phase

I saw The Rover at 7:10. There were around 50 people in a mid-sized auditorium. Mostly couples in their thirties or forties. The trailers shown were for America (ugh), The Drop, Into the Storm, Kill the Messenger, Obvious Child, and A Walk Among the Tombstones.

Last edited by David on Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:39 pm
Forum General

Dear White People?

Anyway, when I saw HTTYD2 on OD here, the majority of the 300+ crowd were above 18. It was an 8pm showing.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:18 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Chippy wrote:
Well that wouldn't be unique, would it?

Here at KJ, we're unique folk. Hence why we don't like outsiders.

I think having a Screen Counts and Crowd Reports thread for every weekend is unique enough.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:27 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I am not sure of the origin of the song lyrics, but I enjoy it. When I open the thread, I try to choose a popular song which, in one way or another, relates to or evokes a new film ("Puff the Magic Dragon" last time, "Clint Eastwood" by Gorillaz above).

Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:10 am
now we know

I can never tell what the song is.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:14 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Not even "Puff the" motherfucking "Magic Dragon," huh? ;)

Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:14 am
Wallflower

BK wrote:
Dear White People?

Anyway, when I saw HTTYD2 on OD here, the majority of the 300+ crowd were above 18. It was an 8pm showing.

When I saw it Wednesday night there were around 30 of us in the theater and my two little cousins were the only kids. It was all adults otherwise. Was kind of weird.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:55 am
now we know

David wrote:
Not even "Puff the" motherfucking "Magic Dragon," huh? ;)

Well, I don't read them all. In fact, I usually skip the first post in this thread.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:15 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I saw Maleficent at 6:25 in 2D. There were around 90 people in a 150-seater. Mostly noisy-ass kids and their incompetent parents. There were no trailers shown.

To my surprise, I found a cinema in China that doesn't force you to watch 3D movies in 3D!! :thumbsup: But I chose the wrong film for that enjoyment, although the film would have been ruined with the 3D glasses as it's dark enough as it is.

I nodded off a few times. D+

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:18 am
Profile WWW
why so serious?

Jersey Boys
12:05
18 people in a 400-seater

Trailers
Get On Up
The Hundred-Foot Journey
The November Man
When the Game Stands Tall
This Is Where I Leave You
The Judge (what a weird tonal shift in this trailer)

The involvement of Clint Eastwood behind the camera for an adaptation of Jersey Boys always looked strange on paper, and it proves to be this adaptation's undoing. I haven't seen the musical, but by all accounts I've heard, it's a true show that frames its story around the music. The movie, unfortunately, is almost the polar opposite, and it suffers for it. It comes alive whenever Eastwood lets down his guard and allows the music to take prominence, but any momentum from those moments vanishes once the proceedings return to undercooked drama that feels as if it's trying too hard to be Goodfellas without the violence. There's just not enough heft to the material to make it work when it tries to be a serious drama, and as a result, it lumbers through most of its very long running time. However, the music is good, and for however many miscalculations Eastwood makes, he earns a small piece of redemption with a medley over the credits that FINALLY embraces the energy and pageantry that should have been in a film based on a Broadway musical all along. Sadly, it's an all-too-short glimpse of what could have been. C

The crowd loved it, though. There was even some applause before that aforementioned credits number began.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:37 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

TServo2049 wrote:

So I saw it again today (2D), and today's audience was the biggest yet (probably 50-60% full) and had a much larger family audience than the previous showings. There were two groups of girls in their late-teens (maybe early 20s), and more couples than I've noticed before. So I'd say its safe to assume it's skewing female for sure *(see below). And I didn't see any single viewers there today.

Also, if you're a fan (big fan) of the franchise, definitely pick up the Art of How to Train Your Dragon 2. I haven't finished it yet, but so far it's an improvement over the first book with a lot more detail from the principal filmmakers.

I'd suggest getting it on Amazon since it's currently 45% off the retail $45 price tag. I got mine at Barnes & Noble though since I try to support declining bookstores, and overall don't really like ordering books through the mail anyway.

*The two salesclerks at Barnes & Noble were female, and told me they wanted to see the new film soon, too.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Corpse wrote:
TServo2049 wrote:

So I saw it again today (2D), and today's audience was the biggest yet (probably 50-60% full) and had a much larger family audience than the previous showings. There were two groups of girls in their late-teens (maybe early 20s), and more couples than I've noticed before. So I'd say its safe to assume it's skewing female for sure *(see below). And I didn't see any single viewers there today.

Also, if you're a fan (big fan) of the franchise, definitely pick up the Art of How to Train Your Dragon 2. I haven't finished it yet, but so far it's an improvement over the first book with a lot more detail from the principal filmmakers.

I'd suggest getting it on Amazon since it's currently 45% off the retail $45 price tag. I got mine at Barnes & Noble though since I try to support declining bookstores, and overall don't really like ordering books through the mail anyway.

*The two salesclerks at Barnes & Noble were female, and told me they wanted to see the new film soon, too.

Reaction from families? Any of the outraged parent kind?

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:45 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

BK wrote:

Reaction from families? Any of the outraged parent kind?

I haven't heard any of those complaints at any of my showings, but we also stay for the credits and are normally the last to leave so I don't hear what anyone is saying on the way out.

Although,

Spoiler: show
The crowd is always into the film until the point when Toothless kills Stoick. Then everyone falls silent, as you'd expect, but I don't think they really get back into the film the same way after that scene. Which I suppose some people may get upset about or simply dislike since it's literally right after their family reunion, so the immediate shift from one of the happiest moments in the film to one of the saddest within 10/15 minutes may be a mood killer for some.

I don't think it kills the movie for the majority though, since many seem to get back into it shortly after with laughs as they're flying on the baby dragons back to Berk, and then some laughs/chatter during the end of the film (mostly when Toothless gives his awkward smile after finally succeeding in making a sharp turn, or when he raises his head high after becoming the new Alpha), but the audience does become noticeably quieter after Stoick's death.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:02 pm
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

Funny you should mention that BK, because here is my report for HTTYD2:

How to Train Your Dragon 2
Saturday, 1:45 PM
~420 seat auditorium, ~40-50% full? (unless it's a big OW - like MU or CA2 - the non-stadium front rows are usually sparsely filled or empty)
Trailers: (missed the first trailer(s), I was intentionally late because I know that trailers last 10+ minutes), Annie, The Boxtrolls, Home (with "Coming Soon" date), The Penguins of Madagascar

Home got the most laughs out of the trailers, by a wide margin. I'm almost tempted to start a Home > Penguins club.

Mostly families, a lot of them with young girls. As for audience reaction,
Spoiler: show
The first act and a half got lots of laughs, so I was literally biting my nails in fear of what was going to happen when Stoick died. I heard some whimpering and sniffling, and the parents next to me were comforting their ~5 year old daughter, but I am pleased to report that there were absolutely no angry parents dragging their inconsolable kids out of the theater. Most of the kids were fine by act 3 - sure, that little girl looked a stone-faced for the rest of the movie, but other kids seemed fine. The baby-riding scene seemed to lift their spirits, and a couple girls behind me were clapping during the climax when Toothless snaps out of it and when he breaks out of the ice and breaks the evil alpha's hold on the other dragons. Nobody seemed particularly upset that Toothless was the one killed Stoick; they seemed to understand that it wasn't his fault and the bad guy made him do it, and to be rooting for him to pull through. I'm not sure whether the audience "fully recovered", but I can say that it wasn't a funeral atmosphere. There were kids in good spirits at the end.

Some parents were clapping too. And one of those little girls was talking with her parents about how she couldn't wait for the third movie. That definitely made me smile inside.

Last edited by TServo2049 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:16 pm
why so serious?

There wasn't much of a reaction to the scenes in question at the screening I went to on Tuesday, but it was mostly an older crowd (I think there might have been, like, three preteens tops in the 20-ish%-full IMAX auditorium).

Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next