Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Most surprising disappointment/bomb of the summer so far? 

Battleship 16%  16%  [ 4 ]
Dark Shadows 20%  20%  [ 5 ]
Rock of Ages 16%  16%  [ 4 ]
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
That's My Boy 40%  40%  [ 10 ]
What to Expect When You're Expecting 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Other (Please specify) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 25

Pure Phase

Post Most surprising disappointment/bomb of the summer so far?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:48 am
Wallflower

Post Re: Most surprising disappointment/bomb of the summer so far
That's My Boy

It looked awful but I still expected Sandler's fans to turn out for it.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:51 am
Pure Phase

Magic Mike wrote:
That's My Boy

It looked awful but I still expected Sandler's fans to turn out for it.

Agreed.

I know early this year I rolled the dice on Dark Shadows being this HUGE sleeper hit, a premise which failed rather spectacularly. But I still feel more surprised by That's My Boy's failure. Two months ago, I would've called anyone insane if they said it would stumble to a total around 39-41 million.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:53 am

I picked Rock of Ages for the extent of the bombing, it'll barely make it past burlesque, considering how long they marketed it and there were 100m+ predictions that's pretty pathetic. DS was also surprising because it looked the most appealing of this bunch in general, but it's not shocking, it was a mess and people caught on quick.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:54 am
Pure Phase

It is fairly surprising Rock of Ages has fallen SO incredibly, incredibly short of Hairspray and Mamma Mia! On paper, it seemed just as appealing.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:57 am
The Kramer

Dark Shadows. Seemed like a hit from the moment it was announced.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:52 am
Devil's Advocate

I can't believe just how little Seeking a Friend is going to make

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:22 am
Full Fledged Member

That's My Boy looked worse than other Sandler films except Jack and Jill but I still expected it to do at least 70 mil.

Susan, I saw you in the classroom today. As the sun came from behind the clouds, a burst of brilliant light caught your hair, it was haloed in front of me. You turned, your eyes flashed fire into my soul, I immediately read the words of Dostoyevsky and Karl Marx, and in the words of Albert Schweitzer, 'I fancy you.

God ATTACK the Queen!

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:38 am
College Boy Z

That's My Boy. In three weeks, it hasn't even made what most Sandler movies open to. It didn't look great, but to be topped by Jack & Jill? That's shocking.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:59 am
Extraordinary

David wrote:
It is fairly surprising Rock of Ages has fallen SO incredibly, incredibly short of Hairspray and Mamma Mia! On paper, it seemed just as appealing.

This.

I had such high hopes. :cry:

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:03 am
Sbil

Probably a tie between Rock of Ages and That's My Boy. I expected at least double their current totals for both. It's funny they opened on the same weekend and have also grossed the same amount.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:29 am
Ocarina of Time

Rock of Ages and Dark Shadows

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:32 am
Your Knife, My Back. My Gun, Your Head.

Dark Shadows

Even though I didn't find it appealing, I still expected an opening around 65. Eventually banking 150.

....Has yet to cross 80. :noway:

Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:06 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

For me it is in the order

1. That's My Boy - Had a feeling this will flop but not THIS spectacularly
2. Dark Shadows - Even though this was overshadowed by Avengers, the after legs were pathetic, it should have come close to $90m
3. Battleship - People are forgetting this was a BIG BUDGET tentpole, unless we are talking WW this is a bigger flop financially than any in list. After that HEAVY marketing its a shame it won't be reaching $70m
4. Rock of Ages - It will make half of what I expected but then IMO this did not look appealing from the beginning. I kept on saying this will be another Footloose but this failed to even come close to that.
5. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - This will be the lowest grosser of this list but it was also from a smaller studio who are not mature enough to handle wide release. Plus it was a VERY small budgeted movie and I think because of that studio didn't put enough muscle around its marketing.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:23 pm
Wallflower

Jack Sparrow wrote:
5. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - This will be the lowest grosser of this list but it was also from a smaller studio who are not mature enough to handle wide release.

Focus Features/Universal is perfectly capable of handling wide releases. They've seen great results from many of their releases. They also advertised this movie a lot. The simple fact is the movie and its premise just didn't seem appealing to people. I had a couple of friends I saw the trailer with who thought it looked cute but said they wouldn't see it because it would be too depressing. I guess that was true for a lot of people. I certainly expected it to do much better than it did though.

I still don't get the high expectations for Rock of Ages. Always looked like an under-performer to me and it didn't seem like it would be as appealing to audiences as Mamma Mia or Hairspray.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:33 pm
Romosexual!

From my expectation it's Battleship for sure!

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:36 pm
On autopilot for the summer

That's my boy- Had so much going against it, saw it coming
Rock of Ages- Looked terrible but I thought it could at least grab a 15 opening
Battleship- That was probably the easiest prediction ever, but it certainly got blown out of proportions on here
Dark Shadows- Burton/Depp Followup and Vampires. I thought it was good to do 100+ but I'm not overly surprised. It did look and was terrible (Still did respectable numbers)
What to Expect when you're expecting- Who gives a shit really. Marketing showed none of the stars, and guys with strollers isn't a funny premise.
Seeking a Friend at the End of the World- I thought at least Dan in Real Life numbers so this is the most surprising for me.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:52 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Magic Mike wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:
5. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - This will be the lowest grosser of this list but it was also from a smaller studio who are not mature enough to handle wide release.

Focus Features/Universal is perfectly capable of handling wide releases. They've seen great results from many of their releases. They also advertised this movie a lot. The simple fact is the movie and its premise just didn't seem appealing to people. I had a couple of friends I saw the trailer with who thought it looked cute but said they wouldn't see it because it would be too depressing. I guess that was true for a lot of people. I certainly expected it to do much better than it did though.

I still don't get the high expectations for Rock of Ages. Always looked like an under-performer to me and it didn't seem like it would be as appealing to audiences as Mamma Mia or Hairspray.

Focus is NOT PERFECTLY CAPABLE of handling wide release. They had lesser wide releases than Lionsgate and Summit last year and I think we agree they prefer expansion over wide releases. They have 18 WIDE releases from their All Time 78 releases so you cannot use perfectly capable here. Now I am not saying they cannot EVER handle a wide release but they are not mature enough to market and keep it floating over good amount of theaters and give the movie more than one chance at shining over wide release like in case of Seeking.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/cha ... =focus.htm

I cannot argue about US advertising but from what I remember you were the one catching all the ads before as well so I am hardly surprised with that argument.

I think at this point we have confirmed that the small set of people who one meets are not enough to give the sample set for ALL the people and its not like there have been NO movies with "depressing" endings that made money at BO, so that is a moot point.

What I also said that it was a disappointment and I did expect it to do much better but this failing is hardly the BIGGEST surprise to me.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:13 pm
Forum General

I'm going with Seeking because it still seems (gonna see it next week) a sweet dramedy and it's unfortunate that it's overlooked.

Oh wait, it's most surprising not most disappointing....

Well in that case, it can't be Battleship or Dark Shadows. Has to be That's My Boy but in all honesty that's great it's flopped.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:21 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

Most surprising to the industry, probably Battleship.
Most surprising to me, Dark Shadows.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

For me it has to be a tie between ROA and Battleship, but I'm leaning more towards ROA.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:08 pm
Veteran

Rock of Ages.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:44 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Man, I dunno, all of these are quite surprising. The least surprising is probably Dark Shadows. It sounded like a hit on paper, but then the first trailer hit and I realized it's not that marketable. I still though it'd hit $100 million, but close to $80 million is decent enough.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
Madoshi

While you could make a good argument for any of these in terms of being most disappointing/bombolucious, when you throw the word "surprising" into the middle there, I think the only option is That's My Boy.

Sandler has been pretty consistent in these types of comedies, at least till now. The others had at least reasons to think they were not going to do all that great that were kinda obvious before they opened.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:49 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

That's my Boy whould have been able to clear $80m regardless. So it was the biggest flop. It was also the film least impacted by The Avengers steamroller, so it had no excuse really.

Battleship is saved by its OS numbers but was probably the biggest bomb in terms of money it made (or didnt make)

Dark Shadows came within my expectations $70m-$110m, on the low end but not surprising. If anything it did decently in the face of a $100m+ 2nd weekend juggernaut.

What to Expect did well below what it should have done but nothing surprising for the way it was marketed.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next