Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:45 am



Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Chronicles of Narnia: Dawn Treader (INTL) - $310.3 million 
Author Message
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92095
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post Chronicles of Narnia: Dawn Treader (INTL) - $310.3 million
Well, considering how big fantasy flicks usually are overseas, this definitely deserves its own OS thread.


For comparison:

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief - $137,673,529
Eragon - $174,457,952
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - $278,029,923
The Golden Compass - $302,127,136
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - $453,300,315


It'll be released almost everywhere throughout December.

I'm definitely seeing an increase over the last one thanks to the release date, but also thanks to 3D which will play a huge rle in markets like Russia and Japan.

Right now I'm thinking $310-320 million overseas, but $350+ million wouldn't surprise me either.

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:31 pm
Posts: 9998
Location: Australia
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
Should be good for around $350m i think. It's going to be 3D and for some reason this looks more interesting than the previous movie. Holiday season as well will help this, Tron will not be a threat overseas.

_________________
Im Archangel. Telin le thaed.
Lasto beth nin, tolo dan nan galad.


I surrender who I've been for who you are
Nothing makes me stronger than your fragile heart
If I had only felt how it feels to be yours
I would have known what I've been living for all along
What I've been living for


Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:34 pm
Profile
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92095
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
If it makes $350 million overseas, I'm positive that we'll see another Narnia film.

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:40 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:19 pm
Posts: 2162
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
I'm not sure about another sequel. On one hand, you have the continuation problem with the Pevensie children line being abandoned - this won't even be a sequel, more of a spin-off. And spin-offs are always trickier than direct sequels. On the other, there's not much left in the books that's worth another movie. If they try really hard, they could probably squeeze one more, but that would be really forced.

Actually, I think it's good for more than $350 m. This one has way less competition than Caspian had (which did $280 m facing huge blockbusters in the Summer 08), add 3D and growth of international markets. Could be good enough for the first film's $450+ m total. The potential is there and the marketplace is favorable.


Last edited by Mr. R on Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.



Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:01 pm
Profile
KJ's Most Embarssing Misspeller
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:20 pm
Posts: 55768
Location: The District
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
They could just skip to The Last Battle and end the franchise if this one is a succuess. And they probably will do that.

_________________
MadGez wrote:
Listen to Magnus he knows his shit.
Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Magnus is right
trixster wrote:
magnus is my hero
Loyal wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Magnus is the fucking voice of reason.
That's scary.
bABA wrote:
fuck Magnus
zwackerm wrote:
You're incredibly overrated and and if they made a Pixar film about you it would gross less than The Good Dinosaur.


Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:04 pm
Profile
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92095
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
I hate The Last Battle and I am not sure how well it will work as a film anyway.

I read an interview in which The Silver Chair was mentioned as the next candidate.

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:27 pm
Posts: 5859
Location: New York
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
I think "The Silver Chair" may be the only one left that could be successfully* adapted.

*Not that this film series has been an artistic success in any way, shape, or form, IMO.


Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:08 pm
Profile
The Wall
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:50 am
Posts: 16163
Location: Croatia
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
I think The Magician's Nephew could be a great movie if adapted properly.


Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:46 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92095
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
be.redy wrote:
I think The Magician's Nephew could be a great movie if adapted properly.


Agreed.

The Horse and His Boy is the least adaptable one because it has almost nothing to do with the main characters and the main plotlines. The Last Battle will be very difficult to adapt as well.

I'd be fine if they did The Silver Chair and The Magician's Nephew and then stopped at that.

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:47 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:19 pm
Posts: 2162
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
The Magician's Nephew is the least adaptable of them - it has absolutely nothing worth an entire movie. By any standards it can't be a Great movie. It's short and not much is going on there.
Not to mention that it sounds a lot like Sorcerer's Apprentice Part 2.
Silver Chair would at least make sense as a separate movie...


Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:25 am
Profile
The Wall
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:50 am
Posts: 16163
Location: Croatia
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
? The book is just as long as any other book in Narnia series. It has just as much happening in it. Sure, there are no large scale action events in it (the London chase scene is the closest to it and I can see it being a great action sequence) but it could make up for a great 100 minute flick. I always felt like it was the most cinematic read out of all Narnia books.

And I don't understand how does it sound like Sorcerer's Apprentice 2? It has travels between worlds, the awakening of the White Witch, the creation of Narnia... The main characters are two kids with no special powers. I cannot imagine anything similar happening in The Sorcerer's Apprentice 2.


Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:36 am
Profile WWW
Forum General
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:11 pm
Posts: 6870
Location: Wisconsin
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
I think he meant the title sounds similar.


Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:22 am
Profile WWW
The Wall
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:50 am
Posts: 16163
Location: Croatia
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
But there would still be The Chronicles of Narnia prefix which would position the movie as a Narnia flick rather than a TSA2.


Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:58 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:19 pm
Posts: 2162
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
be.redy wrote:
? The book is just as long as any other book in Narnia series. It has just as much happening in it. Sure, there are no large scale action events in it (the London chase scene is the closest to it and I can see it being a great action sequence) but it could make up for a great 100 minute flick. I always felt like it was the most cinematic read out of all Narnia books.

It's the shortest book in the series. And yes, there's no events in it.

SolC9 wrote:
I think he meant the title sounds similar.

Yes.


Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:02 pm
Profile
The Wall
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:50 am
Posts: 16163
Location: Croatia
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
My Narnia boxset has the following page lengths:

221 The Magician's Nephew
206 The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
241 The Horse and His Boy
238 Prince Caspian
271 The Voyage of Dawn Treader
257 The Silver Chair
228 The Last Battle

So actually it's not the shortest one. There are illustrations in every book and from what I remember they're evenly distributed so...


Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:19 pm
Posts: 2162
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
be.redy wrote:
My Narnia boxset has the following page lengths:

221 The Magician's Nephew
206 The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
241 The Horse and His Boy
238 Prince Caspian
271 The Voyage of Dawn Treader
257 The Silver Chair
228 The Last Battle

So actually it's not the shortest one. There are illustrations in every book and from what I remember they're evenly distributed so...

I have all in one book, no illustrations. It's the only part under 100 pages.


Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:26 pm
Profile
The Wall
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:50 am
Posts: 16163
Location: Croatia
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
Illustrations are as integral as text I think. You're missing out a lot if you have never seen them. No wonder you can't imagine TMN as a movie. They really give the books an extra layer.

Can you list the lengths from your book? Also is your book translated? I have books in English.


Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92095
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
Mr. R wrote:
be.redy wrote:
My Narnia boxset has the following page lengths:

221 The Magician's Nephew
206 The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
241 The Horse and His Boy
238 Prince Caspian
271 The Voyage of Dawn Treader
257 The Silver Chair
228 The Last Battle

So actually it's not the shortest one. There are illustrations in every book and from what I remember they're evenly distributed so...

I have all in one book, no illustrations. It's the only part under 100 pages.


Heh, I'm wondering if you've got the same book as me. Mine is from the Fantasy Classics series (in Russian).

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:19 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:09 pm
Posts: 1452
Location: Odessa, Ukraine
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Mr. R wrote:
be.redy wrote:
My Narnia boxset has the following page lengths:

221 The Magician's Nephew
206 The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
241 The Horse and His Boy
238 Prince Caspian
271 The Voyage of Dawn Treader
257 The Silver Chair
228 The Last Battle

So actually it's not the shortest one. There are illustrations in every book and from what I remember they're evenly distributed so...

I have all in one book, no illustrations. It's the only part under 100 pages.


Heh, I'm wondering if you've got the same book as me. Mine is from the Fantasy Classics series (in Russian).


There was a lot of different editions in one or two volumes but the books are still look very short.


Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:15 pm
Profile
Cream of the Crop

Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:19 pm
Posts: 2162
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Heh, I'm wondering if you've got the same book as me. Mine is from the Fantasy Classics series (in Russian).

I've got this one. http://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id/127910/
Actually, I've found that the page numbering on the back is slightly messed up. Lion is the shortest one (94), then goes Nephew (98). Still, Lion has by far more stuff happening in it.
be.redy wrote:
Illustrations are as integral as text I think. You're missing out a lot if you have never seen them. No wonder you can't imagine TMN as a movie. They really give the books an extra layer.

I'm pretty sure I'm old enough not to miss pictures.


Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:35 pm
Profile
The Wall
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:50 am
Posts: 16163
Location: Croatia
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
It's not about being old enough or young enough. :)


Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Why is the rum gone???
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 pm
Posts: 30012
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
This being in 3D during holiday season will help it out a lot. I think it has potential of 450m though I think it will settle somewhere between 350m-400m OS total


Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:22 pm
Profile
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92095
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
Mr. R wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Heh, I'm wondering if you've got the same book as me. Mine is from the Fantasy Classics series (in Russian).

I've got this one. http://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id/127910/



Yep, that's the one I've got.

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:07 pm
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:21 pm
Posts: 7888
Location: Hyrule
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
Narnia 3 is going to be released this Friday December 3rd in some contries, a week before the USA release, how it will do against Potter and Megamid (both are running overseas right now)

_________________
Most Anticipated 2019

1. Toy Story 4
2. Joker
3. Shazam
4. Star Wars: Episode IX
5. Detective Pikachu
6. The Conjuring 3
7. Avengers Endgame
8. X-men Dark Phoenix
9. Godzilla 2: King of Monsters
10. The LEGO Movie 2


Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:57 am
Profile
Cream of the Crop

Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:19 pm
Posts: 2162
Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (IN
bryanbmp wrote:
Narnia 3 is going to be released this Friday December 3rd in some contries, a week before the USA release, how it will do against Potter and Megamid (both are running overseas right now)

Things are starting to roll next week with most of the major markets joining the party. Prince Caspian had some big competition from Indy 4, Panda and Hancock. Things are different this time. Potter will be in its 4th week. Megamind's and Tangled's release schedules are more spread out. Dawn Treader goes all in. Next weekend is good for $70-80 m, if things go according to plan.


Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:49 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], publicenemy#1 and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.