Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Hanna Predictions 
Pure Phase

Post Hanna Predictions

Hanna, the new film by Joe Wright (Pride & Prejudice, Atonement), opens April 8th against two comedies (Arthur and Your Highness) and a religious surfing movie (lol) called Soul Surfer with Helen Hunt and Dennis Quaid. It'll also face the second weekend of Source Code and Insidious.

Predictions?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:28 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: Hanna Predictions
Well it looks like Joe Wright will never go back to the good of Pride & Prejudice and Atonement. The Soloist was so bad and Hanna looks like Wright is trying to hard to be cool with general audiences. This will probably make only $10-15M total.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

As excited as I am for this film, I'm not sure how it's going to fare at the box office...

It strikes me as too out-there for general audiences. A slight Domino vibe, maybe? Competition for young adults will be fairly fierce in April, too. The PG-13 rating could help, though, and maybe Cate Blanchett's involvement as a nasty villain will have a certain Helen-Mirren-in-Red type appeal. Good reviews wouldn't hurt, either.

Right now I'd say: 11/34

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:34 pm
Pure Phase

jmovies wrote:
Well it looks like Joe Wright will never go back to the good of Pride & Prejudice and Atonement.

Fairly big pronouncement there, lol, after one movie and a trailer.

Look at Altman's work in the '80s. (Not comparing Wright to Altman, just saying it's stupid to dismiss a filmmaker you once enjoyed because they made a misstep or two.)

Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:38 pm
Sbil

I want to see this myself but I think it's going to bomb. Under $20M total.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:24 pm
Forum General

Libs wrote:
I want to see this myself but I think it's going to bomb. Under $20M total.

With you on this one. Bombs away.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:54 pm
Pure Phase

Focus are at least trying, though. They're already running lots of TV spots.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:56 pm
Wallflower

I'm impressed by how much they've been advertising this. Like Gun said, they're certainly trying. And maybe with how well adult films have been doing lately this could surprise. But as is I'm not expecting much. Under 25 Million for sure, which really wouldn't be that bad for a movie that seems a bit like a tough sell.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:37 pm

I'm with libs etc., looks interesting to me personally but probably won't be to general audiences.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:39 pm
Pure Phase

I'm becoming more confident in this film's box office potential. They've been doing an amazing job selling it.

I don't see it opening below $12 million at least.

Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:30 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Looks good to me and with Cate Blanchet, Eric Bana duo it could attract a fair amount of adult crowd. Still under 35m total is what I see, even though this could be a decent hit with that number.

Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:59 am
Indiana Jones IV

Bump.

I'm calling a 40+ million finish, based on early reactions for the film. Sure, there isn't much to go by as I'm writing this, but call it a hunch.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:49 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

This definitely seems to be attracting adults.....and those movies have been doing great this year....so 40m is a possibility specially when it is opening in double digits

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:15 am
Wallflower

It might see pretty decent legs since there isn't that much for mature adult audiences for a while. If it were to get to 40 Million that would be fairly incredible, IMO. Still doubt it's heading for quite that much, but regardless it has already opened higher than it might have. This could have been a total bomb.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:28 pm
Wallflower

Held pretty well this weekend. Looks like it's headed for 40 Million or so. Nice minor success for Focus Features/Universal. Surprisingly a bigger hit than their flop Your Highness.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:07 am

If it gets a decent release Hanna should make a fair amount of money overseas. It takes place in several different countries through Europe and the middle east, so I'd expect it to rack up quite a bit in those markets at least.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]