Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1011 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 41  Next
 Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire - $290,013,036 
Hot Fuss

Awesome. This is actually GOOD news. Everyone that really grew up with Potter is old enough to handle a PG13 movie.

Great new pictures.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW
je vois l'avenir

----Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince)

A Lonely Person is at Home Everywhere.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:54 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Warner Bros. has now OFFICIALLY confirmed that the movie is PG-13 (to quiet those doubters who didn't quite believe it)! Yay! :smile:

Check it out here: http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/

Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:40 pm
---------

MG Casey wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
And maybe it would've topped out at $250 million like you predicted if it opened on a Friday instead of Thursday. Is it logical? Heck no, but if we're using "Who knows..." scenarios, anything's possible.
'
It did top out at $250 million.

I refuse to belive Star Wars Episode III passed $350 million.

He's talking about Sith.

So am I.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:55 pm
Extraordinary

There are some murders in the film,I dont think the pg-13 rating will hurt it at all,it should still do 235mill.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

There are some murders in the film,I dont think the pg-13 rating will hurt it at all,it should still do 235mill.

Or more...what needs to be considered is that most of the people who see this movie are over 13, and there aren't a lot of parents who wont let their children under 13 see PG-13 movies. This, if anything, helps the movie I think.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:59 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

neo_wolf wrote:

Or more...what needs to be considered is that most of the people who see this movie are over 13, and there aren't a lot of parents who wont let their children under 13 see PG-13 movies. This, if anything, helps the movie I think.

It dosent help or hurt.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

PG 13 won't hurt it at all. The kids will still see it with their parents in theatres and it might attract older moviegoers as well since it won't be that much of a "kidde film" anymore.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:47 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

baumer72 wrote:
MG Casey wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
And maybe it would've topped out at $250 million like you predicted if it opened on a Friday instead of Thursday. Is it logical? Heck no, but if we're using "Who knows..." scenarios, anything's possible.
'
It did top out at $250 million.

He's talking about Sith.

So am I.

I don't get it. Did I miss something? When did Sith lose 130 mill?

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:58 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Wow. Anyways im in. The preview i saw before Charly and CF was amzing. I think it will top ou tat about 265.
owell.
im glad to hear its pg-13 i mean how would it be to have them throwing out remarks of a 12 yearold in their 4th year?

Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:20 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

95/299, I'm hesitant at putting it in 300 range but its possible.

Yeah i say second highest Harry Potter film grossing. Really it probably won't touch Sorcerers Stone but that was the first Potter movie and thats how it made 317 mil, but I see no reason why it can't get close as second. HP and the CoS had 88 mil a lesser opening than the first movie, why, because its generally considered the weakest book and it has not quite as much as much appeal, as the movie also wasn't outstanding. So it grosses 261 mil, still alright but severly short of the last. Now we move on to The Prisoner of Azkaban, one of the favs of the Potter crowd and with Cuaron its considered a improvement on the rest meaning its good of course. 93 mil opening. With great WOM it should've passed CoS easily and mounted a charge to SS, but its only problem was its slot. Its July 4th spot was surrounded by other blockbusters, mainly Shrek 2 which jumped on it with its still on-going run to 441 mil. Because of the summer surrounding it quickly fell, with the great WOM and more leggy-able winter it could've done much much more. So now we have GoF, the fourth book which is one of the most well-liked, and supposibly the best Potter flick yet. Theres no reason why it can't again grab amazingly raising 95-97 mil opening, and this time strike with no competition around it(Chicken Little third weekend nowhere near Shrek 2's level) until Narnia and King Kong where it'll be down but still no doubt getting alright numbers, and could still be getting money in the January months far ahead by amassing back 700,000-900,000 days all through that month. If it gets the expected higher opening and this time strikes with its holding, it should easily be 280 mil+, maybe higher to 290 and my 299 guess. The movie should be more actionful, more exciting, it'll probably be the best.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:04 am
Cream of the Crop

PG 13 won't hurt it at all. The kids will still see it with their parents in theatres and it might attract older moviegoers as well since it won't be that much of a "kidde film" anymore.

agreed - it won't hurt it - PG-13 is the right thing for these kind of movies!

Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:29 am
Lord of filth

Moving back to November, Potter 4 should have a big opening and better legs than in the summer, with added benefit of a book being released in the prior 6 months, the popularity of Goblet of Fire as a story (maybe the most popular one?), pulling in the Potter fans and maybe some new folks who want to see darker Potter, and from an overseas printing of Half-Blood in October, I don't see a reason why it can't do better than Potter 3.

If all goes according to plan, Potter 5 will be delivered in Summer 2007 within a month or so of Book 7. Likely before Book 7... it will capitalize on the Potter mania at the time which should be at an all-time high for the final book of the series.

I think you have to go all the way to the Potter 6 movie (2008?) to see the film series declining below 250 mill again unless something weird in the industry happens.

I don't think summer is a great time for Potter movies... great for the books, it gives people time to read them... movie 5 will be successful by assoiation with Book 7, but overall, I don't think anybody will disagree that darker fantasy films have more of a wintery vibe. Azkaban could have been the big-dog in November of last year, instead it opted to playing 3rd fiddle to Spider-Man 2 and Shrek. It was probably a bad move.

This year, although Narnia and King Kong are huge as well, Goblet is starting to emerge as the most reliable blockbuster of the winter. I think for as long as there are Potter movies, it could own any November they put it in, I think if they put it in summer, it has to compete for more mindshare.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:34 am
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

Well they used Bitch in the third one.
Yes, but that was actually used to talk about a real female dog. I don't know if the MPAA can regulate against that anyway. Just like using "ass" as donkey.

Anyway, I've been saying for months that a PG rating wouldn't do the movie justice at all. It's been mislabaeled as a family film forever....I think familys will go see it, but not for repeat viewings when kids see how dark it is....they will opt for a more family-fiendly epic. either Zathura or Narnia. My money is on Narnia. I've been saying it for months, and I'll continue to say it, and when it finally happens, I'll be happy to make sure everyone knows that I actually made some good predictions which doesn't happen much :)

Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:20 pm
Begging Naked

Anyway, I've been saying for months that a PG rating wouldn't do the movie justice at all. It's been mislabaeled as a family film forever....I think familys will go see it, but not for repeat viewings when kids see how dark it is....they will opt for a more family-fiendly epic. either Zathura or Narnia. My money is on Narnia. I've been saying it for months, and I'll continue to say it, and when it finally happens, I'll be happy to make sure everyone knows that I actually made some good predictions which doesn't happen much :)

Um, wasn't it being buzzed by the studio that they were aiming for a PG-13, ala LOTR?

Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:27 pm
life begins now

Misutaa Supaakoru wrote:
Well they used Bitch in the third one.
Yes, but that was actually used to talk about a real female dog. I don't know if the MPAA can regulate against that anyway. Just like using "ass" as donkey.

Isn't Narnia PG-13?

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:27 pm
Profile YIM
Indiana Jones IV

Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Hm, interesting how a movie like National Treasure could get a PG rating (and so could Star Wars: AOTC), but Harry Potter 4 can't. Well, in any case my hopes for the great quality of the movie are up now and I stick with the prediction of a $97 million opening.

I wonder when the final trailer is going to hit the theatres. Any news on that?

Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:40 am
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

Hm, interesting how a movie like National Treasure could get a PG rating (and so could Star Wars: AOTC), but Harry Potter 4 can't. Well, in any case my hopes for the great quality of the movie are up now and I stick with the prediction of a $97 million opening.

I wonder when the final trailer is going to hit the theatres. Any news on that?

No news, but I would place money on or around Sept 23rd and the release of The Corpse Bride. Which is also WB.

Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:09 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

http://chud.com/news/3916

"I think I'll be in the next one. I have a big fight with Dumbledore in the next one."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=10724

"I think probably the first two films were a little too saccharine and glib, even for Harry Potter fans."

Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:10 am
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

I think it fit that the first two films were "saccharine and glib" because... well those books are.

Even some of book three was a bit.

Not by book 4 tho :)

Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:12 am
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

Looks like they're really taking advantage of the PG-13 rating. Very dark, literally and figuratively...

Last edited by Jonathan on Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:29 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

This one should, though:

http://progressive.stream.aol.com/wb/gl ... 812_dl.mov

Looks really good to me. The visuals are great, simply great.

Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:43 am
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

Seconded. The First Task is gonna kick come serious ass. :shades: :2thumbsup:

Last edited by Jonathan on Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:46 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1011 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 41  Next