Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Screen Counts and Crowd Reports (June 20-22) 
Sbil

Post Re: Screen Counts and Crowd Reports (June 20-22)
David wrote:
I am not sure of the origin of the song lyrics, but I enjoy it. When I open the thread, I try to choose a popular song which, in one way or another, relates to or evokes a new film ("Puff the Magic Dragon" last time, "Clint Eastwood" by Gorillaz above).

Me.

I started doing it, then Magnus was like "yo bitch y u have song lyrics," so I kept doing it to annoy him, and then you started making most of these threads! And the rest, as they say, is history.

Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:32 pm
now we know

Ah ha, so that solves the mystery of why I think it's stupid.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:49 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

TServo2049 wrote:
Funny you should mention that BK, because here is my report for HTTYD2:

How to Train Your Dragon 2
Saturday, 1:45 PM
~420 seat auditorium, ~40-50% full? (unless it's a big OW - like MU or CA2 - the non-stadium front rows are usually sparsely filled or empty)
Trailers: (missed the first trailer(s), I was intentionally late because I know that trailers last 10+ minutes), Annie, The Boxtrolls, Home (with "Coming Soon" date), The Penguins of Madagascar

Home got the most laughs out of the trailers, by a wide margin. I'm almost tempted to start a Home > Penguins club.

Mostly families, a lot of them with young girls. As for audience reaction,
Spoiler: show
The first act and a half got lots of laughs, so I was literally biting my nails in fear of what was going to happen when Stoick died. I heard some whimpering and sniffling, and the parents next to me were comforting their ~5 year old daughter, but I am pleased to report that there were absolutely no angry parents dragging their inconsolable kids out of the theater. Most of the kids were fine by act 3 - sure, that little girl looked a stone-faced for the rest of the movie, but other kids seemed fine. The baby-riding scene seemed to lift their spirits, and a couple girls behind me were clapping during the climax when Toothless snaps out of it and when he breaks out of the ice and breaks the evil alpha's hold on the other dragons. Nobody seemed particularly upset that Toothless was the one killed Stoick; they seemed to understand that it wasn't his fault and the bad guy made him do it, and to be rooting for him to pull through. I'm not sure whether the audience "fully recovered", but I can say that it wasn't a funeral atmosphere. There were kids in good spirits at the end.

Some parents were clapping too. And one of those little girls was talking with her parents about how she couldn't wait for the third movie. That definitely made me smile inside.

Great! Thanks for the reports guys. So there is slight hope yet.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:37 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Home will bomb.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:04 pm
The Incredible Hulk

I hadn't been too optimistic about Home before this. I have no personal interest in the movie, but I was absolutely not expecting the trailer to get as much laughter as I heard. No, it wasn't Despicable Me 2-level response, but for comparison, I think I only heard scattered chuckles at the Penguins trailer (even the Cheeto gag).

I'm not really going to start a Home > Penguins club though; that was just a quip.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:15 pm
now we know

Hopefully Home and Penguins of Madagascar will both bomb and then studios will see that people will not flock to just any crap. Then again, the problem of The Hunger Games still exists.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2