Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Friday Numbers from SBD !!!! 
Extraordinary

Wiw, I knew Hoot was not going to do well, but this is a new low. I'm just going to hold my breathe for when TDV comes out.

How'd the small openers do?

Sat May 06, 2006 1:15 pm
The Incredible Hulk

jb007 wrote:
United 93 numbers are pathetic.

United 93 dropped 60%. So much for the strong WOM.

I think audiences just don't want to suffer through the whole ordeal all over again. And why would you? If you want to watch a good movie, go rent something else.

The whole 9/11 thing can have an effect on the box-office, but I think the effect is more evident in the case of films like Spider-Man, where cinema is used as a way to escape reality, or to watch something which is affirmative and vaguely patriotic and uplifting. If I had a tough day at work, do I want to spend the evening watching a film about a guy who is having a tough day at work? Or do I want to watch a comedy or a thriller that will help me forget things for a while? It's far worse with tragedies, where anything remotely connected with the event will continuously evoke the traumatic experiences initially suffered through.

Well said... at least. The Player reminds me of reality within audiences and Hollywood

Anyway, BOM Numbers up

Sat May 06, 2006 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
The Original

So BOM has also crap numbers for MI3. Wow I actually dont remember when I was last so wrong about a movies Boxoffice..... :nerd:

Sat May 06, 2006 1:25 pm
Squee

But this is a VH-Troy flop right now. Its as bad as a flop finaically as VH was, but its a Troy-flop as well as it had high expectations and failed to deliver.

I think they would love for it to be a Troy sized flop, considering its overseas take.

:glare:

Sat May 06, 2006 1:26 pm
Wall-E

but i thought Poseidon was the flop ;)

This is driving me nuts. Sometimes I get the feeling that there's a certain group in these forums that are so self absorbed in there own age group that they can make or break a film. A film may look good but if its not in their personal top 3 its bound to flop. Come on people, there are others out there that make a difference. Just about everyone over 30 would remember the original. It was a massive film for the day. Its gonna bring out the old and the new.

http://www.worldwideboxoffice.com/index ... popups=yes

Look at that number... Ticket price for the day was $1.70.... In '05' dollars that's over $350,000,000.

Now, I don't see it doing that well, but $150mil is easily obtainable. I see no reason this couldn't get to $200mil. My guts telling me to expect King Kong numbers....

(not venting on you excel) ;)

Sat May 06, 2006 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

looks like M:I:3 will make it's money back in dvd sales.
production/marketing - around $200m
domestic gross - maybe $150m
international gross - maybe $300m
worldwide - maybe $450m
after prod/marketing $250m
half or so to theaters - $125m
take off Cruise fees - $88 (assuming he gets 30% as actor/producer)

Sat May 06, 2006 1:31 pm
Mod Team Leader

Libs wrote:
TROY AND VAN HELSING WERE NOT FLOPS. God.

Exactly. And neither is MI:3. Like Troy, I expect the film to perform well (not as well as Troy) internationally. I don't find the opening surprising, or particularly disappointing. Spider-Man and X2 have spoiled us, to be frank. Excluding them, this is one of the best openings for the first May release ever.

This is not Van Helsing though! This is Cruise in his signature role. This is a huge disappointment, and you can't spin it any other way. I agree that Troy was far from a flop, but this film will make about 120 mill, and yes, that is a flop. Internationall, this will do another 250 probably, for about 400, so it is not a bona fide flop, but here, it is.

Sat May 06, 2006 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

This is not Van Helsing though! This is Cruise in his signature role. This is a huge disappointment, and you can't spin it any other way. I agree that Troy was far from a flop, but this film will make about 120 mill, and yes, that is a flop. Internationall, this will do another 250 probably, for about 400, so it is not a bona fide flop, but here, it is.

Maybe I don't appreciate the Mission: Impossible franchise enough, but what about it screams big blockbuster? I know that the first one was a huge hit, but that was because it was novel at that time, and even so, it made considerably less than Twister and far less than Independence Day. The second release didn't do that much than the first one, and that only because 2000 was a horrible, horrible year for films (The Grinch making $260m? Come on...).

I just think the film has made what one should reasonably have expected it to make.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sat May 06, 2006 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I dont think this will be as frontloaded though, I think it will make over 50 million which is actually what I predicted. Come on people, Cruise has never been a mega domestic boxoffice Draw. His Height was at Mi2 which was Memorial Day Weekend. and considering how bad it was, and cruise's personal life is finally in the spotlight. Im not suprised, but This one will have a good multiplier. As long as Poseidon doesn't kill it too much next week, It should still be able to get 140 and that is what I predicted.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat May 06, 2006 1:44 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Granted, I was predicting around a 20 million opening day, this is a very accessible film that does not have a single fanbase. It should pull in around 2.9-3.3 multiplier.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat May 06, 2006 1:46 pm
Angels & Demons

The second release didn't do that much than the first one, and that only because 2000 was a horrible, horrible year for films (The Grinch making $260m? Come on...).

I'm not sure why the rest of the year matters. The weekend at hand is all that matters. MI3 had the weekend all to itself.

Sat May 06, 2006 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

Im going to go ahead and blame this on finals week!

CAUSE I CAN!!!!!!

Look for a 20% drop next weekend!

Sat May 06, 2006 2:15 pm
Extraordinary

Box wrote:
The second release didn't do that much than the first one, and that only because 2000 was a horrible, horrible year for films (The Grinch making $260m? Come on...).

I'm not sure why the rest of the year matters. The weekend at hand is all that matters. MI3 had the weekend all to itself.

I'm talking about MI2 and the year 2000.The Grinch's $260m gross, like MI2's $200m+, can be put down in part due to 2000 being a horrible year, from beginning to (almost) the end.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sat May 06, 2006 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Has Hoot made record books with lowest opening in 3,000+ theaters?

Sat May 06, 2006 2:35 pm
Horror Hound

Hmmm....not that bad...i was expecting maybe $60M....i Knew $70M was well over-the-top.

Poseidon isn't going to match this.....I think all we should expect is a $30M-$40M opening from this one.

American Haunting done okay. Hoot bombed, unsurprisingly.

Sat May 06, 2006 2:36 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

260 New York Minute WB 3,006 $5,962,106 42.4% $1,983 $14,071,441 5/07/04 1

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/wi ... EST&p=.htm

Lowest opening weekend for a film in 3000+ theatres.

HOOT is going to make the record books!

Sat May 06, 2006 2:40 pm
College Boy Z

Disappointed in M:I-3. I wouldn't exactly call it a "flop," but yeah, it's a disappointing number. It'll make around $125-130 million total.

Sat May 06, 2006 2:44 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Disappointed in M:I-3. I wouldn't exactly call it a "flop," but yeah, it's a disappointing number. It'll make around $125-130 million total.

So crazy Roid was right all along despite his crazy United 93 prediction.. Oh and Simpsons wont make 150 million, you can put that in the bank next year

Sat May 06, 2006 2:45 pm
Squee

Zingaling wrote:

So crazy Roid was right all along despite his crazy United 93 prediction.. Oh and Simpsons wont make 150 million, you can put that in the bank next year

You're right. 200+ easily!

Sat May 06, 2006 2:47 pm
Orphan

Many are spinning the numbers for M:I 3 saying it didn't do poorly. Well, it did considering the astronomical theatre count and zero competition it should have open with at least 60 million, a number it doesn't seem likely to reach now. I'm actually glad it disappointed as both Cruise and Abrams are apparent a-holes who don't deserve their success.

Hoot really tanked. Pathetic.

An American Haunting did about as well as could be expected. Should do well on DVD.

Sat May 06, 2006 3:00 pm

Just for future reference, MTC usually are on the money on most flicks but when it comes to movies that are receiving alot of hype like MI3 and King Kong, they are very off. They had Kong at 88 million for 5 day right? Its probably more about awareness and like Joe pointed out, other sites like hollywoodelsewhere should be looked into and yahoo buzz as Dp07 has used to make his MI3 prediction

Sat May 06, 2006 3:04 pm
Veteran

Just for future reference, MTC usually are on the money on most flicks but when it comes to movies that are receiving alot of hype like MI3 and King Kong, they are very off. They had Kong at 88 million for 5 day right? Its probably more about awareness and like Joe pointed out, other sites like hollywoodelsewhere should be looked into and yahoo buzz as Dp07 has used to make his MI3 prediction

And Ronnie's 20 parking lot. ;)

Sat May 06, 2006 3:05 pm
Profile WWW

Oompa Loompa Midget Man wrote:

And Ronnie's 20 parking lot. ;)

Also never dismiss midnight showings entirely as an early sign ;)

Sat May 06, 2006 3:07 pm
College Boy Z

MTC had King Kong at $66 million 3-Day, closer than almost everybody.

Sat May 06, 2006 3:09 pm
Veteran

Also never dismiss midnight showings entirely as an early sign ;)

Yep.

Also I don't see any midnight shows doing well other than X-3 for the rest of May.

Sat May 06, 2006 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next