Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The Passion of the Christ 

What grade would you give this film?
A 39%  39%  [ 11 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 8 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 28

College Boy Z

Post The Passion of the Christ

Quote:
The Passion of the Christ (sometimes referred to as The Passion) is a 2004 drama film directed by Mel Gibson and starring Jim Caviezel as Jesus. It depicts the Passion of Jesus largely according to the New Testament Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. It also draws on other devotional writings, such as those disputedly attributed to Anne Catherine Emmerich.

The Passion of the Christ covers the final 12 hours of Jesus' life beginning with the Agony in the Garden and ending with a brief depiction of his resurrection.

Flashbacks of Jesus as a child, working as a carpenter, the Sermon on the Mount, the interpretation of the saving of Mary Magdalene as the adulteress who was to be stoned to death and the Last Supper are also included.

The film's dialogue is entirely in reconstructed Aramaic and Latin with vernacular subtitles. The film was a major hit, grossing in excess of $600 million during its theatrical release, becoming the highest grossing non-English language film of all time.

A beautiful film, but not quite the masterpiece some claim it to be.

B

Last edited by zingy on Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:23 pm
Teh Mexican

but very depressing movie!

This is a Masterpiece IMO!
Oscar Worthy!! yes people OSCAR WORTHY!!!!!

A+++

Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:33 pm
Veteran

I actually did not like this movie. I did not shed one tear and I found it way to drawn out.

Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

I've seen it once, that's really enough for me. It's a VERY well made film but I just didn't connect with it or feel anything about it, and the film was... hard to watch.

- C+

Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:35 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

This film was very hard to watch, I agree. I am still surprised at the number of children that were in the theater both times I went to see it. No matter the religious qualities, it was not anything someone under 13 should be allowed to see.

That aside, I would give the film an A-.

Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:43 pm
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

An AMAZING film. Touching and powerful. Best film of 2004, and one of the best ever made.

A+

Last edited by tombraider17 on Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

The more I THINK about it, the more I don't like it. I mean it's depressing enough just thinking about this done to anyone, let alone Jesus. I mean, The Titanic was a tragedy, but do we need a movie on that? Oh, there was already? Pfft, must have sucked. :wink:

Anyway, I originally thought Passion was powerful, but I only remember one truly powerful scene, where they are beating him down, and he screams to his father to forgive them, they do not know what they are doing. That was powerful. Other than that, it was violent just to be violent, not violent just to show us how it happened. Admit it, that's why it's so violent, just to BE that violent and shocking, not at all for the reality of it. I have only seen in once, so I will see it again before passing a final judgment.

Grade: C

Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:08 am
Extraordinary

Best film ive seen this year so far by far!

Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

I thought it was a wonderful movie, but I will admit I am biased. My favorite scene was at the very beginning with Satan tempting Jesus in Gethsemane. Like many people, I would have liked a little more about Jesus life, but people can always go to the source.

One scene that I didn't like was when the bird pecked out the eye of one of the thieves being crucified alongside Jesus. It's not Biblical and goes against the whole attitude Jesus had towards those who crucified Him. It's only a minor quibble, but I didn't like the scene.

I grade this an A-.

Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:07 am
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

I'm actually a little surprised (surprised is not really the word, as I'm not) that religious people seem to like this the most...if I were religious, I'd think I would think...ok, you have a great story, a remarkable person in history, and THIS is all you could do with it?

It has some impressive aspects to it, most notably the cinematography, and many scenes on their own are great, but it doesn't add up to much, the movie only touches the surface of the events, it does not say anything that wasn't already know, is kinda arrogant about it all, and it's just a big waste of time.

C

Best Actress 2008

Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

People are finally seeing the light :D

I'm actually a little surprised (surprised is not really the word, as I'm not) that religious people seem to like this the most...if I were religious, I'd think I would think...ok, you have a great story, a remarkable person in history, and THIS is all you could do with it?

It has some impressive aspects to it, most notably the cinematography, and many scenes on their own are great, but it doesn't add up to much, the movie only touches the surface of the events, it does not say anything that wasn't already know, is kinda arrogant about it all, and it's just a big waste of time.

C

I actually find it funny religious people like it, because no matter what excuse Gibson makes, he's exploiting the story of Jesus's final hours, in a movie form.

Before you jump down my throat, I WILL see it again, to see if it really was as good as everyone says, or as bad as I thought it was.

Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:43 pm
Veteran

Rod wrote:
People are finally seeing the light :D

C

I actually find it funny religious people like it, because no matter what excuse Gibson makes, he's exploiting the story of Jesus's final hours, in a movie form.

Before you jump down my throat, I WILL see it again, to see if it really was as good as everyone says, or as bad as I thought it was.

Rod, if we ever are actually on a deserted island together you can try to convince me The Hours is actually a good movie and I will try to convince you about The Passion! :)

It's easy to say Gibson was exploiting the story of Jesus' final hours after TPOTC was a huge success (both in the USA and abroad) but months before it looked like it was going to a huge failure and destroy Gibson's career. If that had actually been the case, I doubt if as many people would be debating this film. I really believe it's almost impossible for anyone, Christian or non-Christian, to watch this without preconceived ideas or emotions. I didn't find it exploitive. It was probably more realistic than some of those Hollywood productions where Jesus doesn't look like he had a scratch on him while He's hanging on the cross.

I actually found the movie very, very moving. I wept through much of it, but my Christian faith is a very important part of my life, a very real part of it. And while I'm not the most objective reviewer, I can easily compare it to other movies about the life of Jesus and say it was one of the best I've seen.

Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

It's by far not as powerful as I wanted it to be. B-

Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:18 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Worthless piece of moviemaking. Made with intolerant people in mind.

D-

Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:47 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:18 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Im christian and I thought the movie was overrated. I was really hyped to see it and felt...let down. Not very good in my opinion

C

Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:04 am
Indiana Jones IV

Im christian and I thought the movie was overrated. I was really hyped to see it and felt...let down. Not very good in my opinion

C

I agree, I am also a christian and I was kindof expecting much more from the film but I still found it very good.

Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:35 am
Profile WWW
now we know

3rd Best movie of 2004!!!!!!! :smile:

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

I think the religious meaning has a lot to do with why one likes the movie. For example, to me it was very difficult to see the crucifixtion shown more or less what it was like. Rome was a master of torture and proud of it. While many people want to see more on the life of Jesus, my advise is to go to Blockbuster or Media Play and just look, there are many, many films already done on that subject, some better than others.

Back to my point, I think I felt a connection to it which is why I gave it a higher rating. People who don't feel that connection will see it as just another uber-violent Hollywood film. The same logic applies to why movies can be made on "The Book of Mormon". Most of his would just shrug and continue on our ways, while devout Mormons would probably see the film in a different light.

One final note, this logic does not apply to the NBC production of Noah's Ark which was simply bad. So bad I only watch about 10 minutes of it.

With all that being said, my final grade is an 7.8/10 or B+

Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:30 pm
life begins now

A

Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:58 pm
Profile YIM
I just lost the game

Technically, it's a masterpiece. Stuff like the make-up, the costumes, the set design, the cinematogrophy, the visual effects, the score....everything was done very well. The acting was also above average, and Mel Gibson's direction was very very well done. I agree with Mr. X, in that the most (and basically, only) powerful scene for me was near the end, in which Jesus was beaten and he cired to God to forgive them. Even in my first viewing I found it very powerful.

I give it a B/B+. I originally rated it a lto lower, but upon a second viewing, I enjoyed it much more.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:10 pm
Forum General

I was affected, most definitely, but I was affected not by what I was feeling, but by what I was seeing.

It's well-directed and well-acted, but ultimately, it's just one big visual manipulation. I mean, I could watch a guy on the street get whipped and slain and drained of copious amounts of blood for two hours, and I would probably cry for him, too.

It is beautiful cinema, though, and I that's what I give most of the credit to.

B

Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

That's pretty much exactly what I thought.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Kiera Knightly is my lady!

Hard to beleive its been over a year since I saw this.
But the Passion sticks out as being a real great step in film making. Gibson proves to be the only director who was willing enough to show the brutality that happen to Jesus, and it was even more graphic than he showed it to be.
Cavizel did a excellent job in a very hard to do role.

Excellent, but I don't recomend this to everyone.
10/10
A+

Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next