Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The Blackening 

Grade:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Blackening 
now we know

Post The Blackening

Quote:
The Blackening is a 2022 American comedy horror film directed by Tim Story and written by Tracy Oliver and Dewayne Perkins, based on the 2018 short film of the same name by the comedy troupe 3Peat. It stars Grace Byers, Jermaine Fowler, Melvin Gregg, X Mayo, Perkins, Antoinette Robertson, Sinqua Walls, Jay Pharoah, and Yvonne Orji. The film follows an all-African American group of friends who encounter a killer while staying at a cabin in the woods. The Blackening premiered at the 2022 Toronto International Film Festival on September 16, 2022, and will be released theatrically on June 16, 2023, by Lionsgate.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:25 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Blackening
This loses some steam by the end but all in all a really fun, funny film. The opening scene was great. B

Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:05 pm
Profile YIM
The Kramer

Post Re: The Blackening
Another one I wish I could have seen in theaters. It looks fantastic for a low budget horror film.

The movie itself is a bit messy, more from the writing than anything else. Feels like they came up with the title and then just filled in the blanks from there. I don't see why there needed to be a board game or a super obvious twist. And the many times where they discuss who is the most and least black didn't really land because I'd get in trouble for even contributing to that discussion.

Those things don't bring it down too much though. They do well with the comedy, horror and social commentary aspects. The characters are all likeable enough to the point where you don't want to see anyone die. They have a believable chemistry of people who haven't seen each other for a minute but fall right back into like it was in the good ole days.

Overall a solid movie that everyone should check out this spooky season. 7.5/10ish

Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]