Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Renfield 

Grade:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Renfield 
now we know

Post Renfield

Quote:
Renfield is a 2023 American supernatural comedy horror film co-produced and directed by Chris McKay from a screenplay by Ryan Ridley, based on a story by Robert Kirkman (who also co-produces the film). Featuring characters from the 1897 novel Dracula by Bram Stoker, the film stars Nicholas Hoult as the title character and Nicolas Cage as Dracula, with Awkwafina, Ben Schwartz, Adrian Martinez, and Shohreh Aghdashloo in supporting roles.

Renfield had its world premiere at the Overlook Film Festival on March 30, 2023, and was released in the United States on April 14, by Universal Pictures.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Post Re: Renfield
This was quite mediocre. Nic and Nicholas give good performances but the script isn’t funny and it doesn’t take itself seriously to be satisfying from a narrative perspective.

Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:47 pm
Extraordinary

Very silly but easy/fun watch.

Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:31 am
now we know

This is a pretty crazy film with lots of insane gore. But Cage is having a ball in his very own Cagesque way. The Cageisms are on top form. I loved him in it even if the film overall isn't amazing. But it's good entertainment. Reminded me a bit of Kick-Ass actually, though I cannot put my finger on why.

But those old footage parts are pretty awesome. It's hard not to like this film because it's so zany and out there. On the other hand, the Awkwafina side of the film is lame. But I also feel the film's whole aura is one of being cheap, fun, and cheerful. It's not vying for classic status despite Cage's efforts, so it was easy for me to disregard certain parts, such as Awkwafina and her sister.

I found Ben Schwartz's performance to be good, though. Being the crime boss's son he had to straddle the line between coward and dangerous, and he does it well. He also reminded me of a pathetic version of Caster Troy from Face/Off with the dual gold pistols.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Renfield isn't perfect. It can be very corny and the thematic material is little more than a self-help book.

But it's also pretty funny, very violent and Cage just gives a hell of a performance as Count Dracula. It's a fun way to spend 90 minutes.

So I'll give Renfield a 6.8/10.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:00 pm
Devil's Advocate

This was really close to being great if the jokes were just a bit stronger. It's well directed and I think the trio of actors and mix if the Lobos storyline and Dracula work pretty well. The over the top violence is strong too. Overall above average.

Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]