Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Cruella 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Cruella 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Cruella
Quote:
Cruella is a 2021 American crime comedy-drama film based on the character Cruella de Vil from Dodie Smith's 1956 novel The Hundred and One Dalmatians and Disney's 1961 animated film adaptation.[6] The film is directed by Craig Gillespie with a screenplay by Dana Fox and Tony McNamara, from a story by Aline Brosh McKenna, Kelly Marcel, and Steve Zissis.[7] It is the third live-action adaptation in the 101 Dalmatians franchise. Emma Stone stars as the title character, with Emma Thompson, Joel Fry, Paul Walter Hauser, Emily Beecham, Kirby Howell-Baptiste, and Mark Strong in supporting roles.

Walt Disney Pictures announced the film's development in 2013, with Andrew Gunn as producer. Stone was cast in 2016 and also serves as an executive producer on the film alongside Glenn Close, who previously portrayed Cruella in the previous live-action adaptations, 101 Dalmatians (1996) and 102 Dalmatians (2000). Principal photography took place between August and November 2019 in England.

Cruella premiered in Los Angeles on May 18, 2021, the first major red carpet event since the COVID-19 pandemic began, and was released in the United States theatrically and simultaneously available on Disney+ with Premier Access on May 28. The film received generally positive reviews from critics, who praised Gillespie's direction, the performances (particularly Stone, Thompson, and Hauser), costume design, and soundtrack.

Thu May 27, 2021 11:23 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Cruella
I quite liked this! I thought Emma Stone killed it. The script/story was surprisingly well done.

Thu May 27, 2021 11:30 pm
Hold the door!

Liked it a lot, could have been great with a bit tighter of a script, the twist at the end is ok but doesn’t resonate too deeply. And it’s not quite as funny as you’d want a dark comedy to be.

Sat May 29, 2021 1:05 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This movie is pure spectacle from a production design standpoint and I'm glad I saw it on the big screen for that alone. The costumes are absolutely insane. The movie itself is also a blast, though I thought it worked better when it didn't tie in to the Disney IP. Emma Stone crushed it (loved her monologue) as did Emma Thompson. A-

Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:07 am
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

Too long but very entertaining. Craig Gillespie was a good choice, this has a lot of the energy of I, Tonya in its own way, plus it even shares some of the themes. The Emmas both give delicious performances. Stone gives one of her best performances honestly, why not an Oscar nomination? Thompson manages to shake off being too much of a Miranda Priestly copy by the psychotic narcissism turned up to 11 in all the best ways.

Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:08 am
Forum General

I actually really enjoyed this aswell. Emma Stone and Emma Thompson were fantastic IMO and the second half of this movie is just a blast with some pretty stellar production/costume design.

B+

Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:36 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I liked it when Emma Stone was herself but when she becomes Cruella the forced dark comedy does not work IMO. Emma Thompson is great in here but her character lacks the menace required other than being rich and obnoxious. The costumes and make-up are brilliant but other than that the emotional aspect of the movie never connects. There is a lot going on so it never feels boring but the middle half sometimes is dragged on for no apparent reason. The twist is weak and the end tries to build no emotional cause and the half-assed narration of "she-stitches-so-well-that-it-became-to-be-known-as-dog-skin-peeler" did not hold well. Just another usual Disney movie with loads of money thrown in hiding the lack of substance underneath.

C+

Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:35 am
Superman: The Movie

She was always Cruella. Estella was just the disguise. And Emma Thompson not menacing? She wants her newborn child destroyed like a piece of garbage. It’s very Disney, but…it’s Disney.

I want a movie about Gerald.

What’s the point of hiring Nichols Britell if 90% of the music is needle drops?

Best movie of the summer (so far).

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:32 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Jmart wrote:
She was always Cruella. Estella was just the disguise. And Emma Thompson not menacing? She wants her newborn child destroyed like a piece of garbage. It’s very Disney, but…it’s Disney.

I want a movie about Gerald.

What’s the point of hiring Nichols Britell if 90% of the music is needle drops?

Best movie of the summer (so far).

Character's one choice does not mean they are menacing throughout the movie.

Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:48 am
Superman: The Movie

Did you expect her to be frothing at the mouth in every scene?

Also,

Menacing
suggesting the presence of danger; threatening.
"a menacing tone of voice"

Killing Cruella’s adoptive mother meets the criteria.
How she treats her employees meets the criteria.
Wanting to kill Cruella with the fire (before knowing she was her daughter) meets the criteria.
Wanting to kill her newborn baby meets the criteria.
Actively pushing Cruella off the cliff meets the criteria.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:41 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Frothing at mouth would have been great :thumbsup:

Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:01 am
Hold the door!

Just rewatched this and I still don't understand the ending. Why would she give the puppies to anita and roger if she wants to make a coat from them?

Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:44 pm
Extraordinary

Isn't this simply a remaining of the character like Maleficent? This version of Cruella Isn't like the animated one.

Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:16 pm
Hold the door!

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Isn't this simply a remaining of the character like Maleficent? This version of Cruella Isn't like the animated one.

I thought it was still supposed to fit with the animated movie but maybe not

Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:28 pm
Devil's Advocate

zwackerm wrote:
Just rewatched this and I still don't understand the ending. Why would she give the puppies to anita and roger if she wants to make a coat from them?

She is not a villain by the end of this movie and not into making coats from dogs yet as she was only pretending with the Baronness ones earlier

Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]