Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Mank 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Mank 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Mank
Quote:
Mank is a 2020 American biographical drama film about screenwriter Herman J. Mankiewicz and his development of the script for Citizen Kane (1941). Directed by David Fincher, based on a screenplay by his late father Jack Fincher, the film is produced by Ceán Chaffin, Douglas Urbanski, and Eric Roth. It stars Gary Oldman in the title role, Amanda Seyfried, Lily Collins, Arliss Howard, Tom Pelphrey, Sam Troughton, Ferdinand Kingsley, Tuppence Middleton, Tom Burke, Joseph Cross, Jamie McShane, Toby Leonard Moore, Monika Gossmann, and Charles Dance.

Fincher's father Jack wrote the script in the 1990s, and David originally intended to film it after he completed The Game (1997), with Kevin Spacey and Jodie Foster as the leads. It never came to fruition, and Jack Fincher died in 2003. Eventually, the project was officially announced in July 2019, and filming took place around Los Angeles from November 2019 to February 2020.

Mank had a limited theatrical release on November 13, 2020, and began streaming on Netflix on December 4, 2020. The film received positive reviews from critics, who praised the direction, cinematography, production values, and musical score, as well as the performances of Oldman and Seyfried.

Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:59 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Mank
It's well-made and performed but insanely dull. There are some strong moments though, namely the scene in the middle where they talk politics.

Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:47 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

I can definitely understand why this wouldn't be for everybody, but I actually ended up really enjoying this and I honestly wasn't expecting to after hearing so many different things about it regarding how inaccessible it is for most general audiences. The performances are mostly stellar across the board, especially Gary Oldman, Amanda Seyfried and Arliss Howard and its really stylishly directed by Fincher and incredibly atmospheric throughout.

B+

Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:58 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I didn't love it but didn't hate it either. There are some really good scenes but overall the movie felt dull to me. I really enjoyed Amanda Seyfried's small role and whenever she was in the movie I felt the movie became great. Gary Oldman does well but its not a powerhouse performance that we have seen from the actor in the past. The supporting cast is great specially Arliss Howard and Tom Pelphrey, Lily Collins has yet another generic role and didn't add much to the story/character. David Fincher does a great job building the world and atmosphere and keep things moving. I wasn't impressed by the screenplay because I felt there was a more powerful narration than what we get.

B-

Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:50 pm
The Kramer

Yeah it is very well made. They definitely accomplished their goal of making it seem like a movie made in this time period. Whether or not that is what we need right now is debatable. It's worth a watch for Oldman, but don't expect much more than that. It's tough to stay interested.

C+

I don't think this movie would exist if Fincher had rightfully won his best director oscar ten years ago.

Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]