Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Waves 

Rate this film:
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Waves 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Waves
Quote:
Waves is a 2019 American drama film written, co-produced and directed by Trey Edward Shults. Along with Shults, it was produced by Kevin Turen and Jessica Row. It stars Kelvin Harrison Jr., Lucas Hedges, Taylor Russell, Alexa Demie, Renée Elise Goldsberry, and Sterling K. Brown. Set against the vibrant landscape of South Florida, it traces the emotional journey of a suburban family as they navigate love, forgiveness, and coming together in the aftermath of a loss.

Principal photography began on July 9, 2018 in Broward County, Florida and wrapped up in August 24, 2018. The cast was announced in July, with Demie joining in August.

It had its world premiere at the Telluride Film Festival on August 30, 2019, and was released in the United States on November 15, 2019, by A24. It received positive reviews from critics, who praised the performances (particularly that of Harrison, Russell, and Brown), cinematography, and Shults' direction. It grossed over $2.5 million worldwide.

Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:00 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Waves
Taylor Russell and Kelvin Harrison Jr. give really strong performances in a movie where all the actors are at their A-game. The story is easily divided in 2 halves and while I thought the first half had more shock factor, the second half hits it hard with emotional impact. The only minor complain I have it the handling of parents among these two, because that angle is never explored. The first half needed a slightly better introduction to the family.

A-

Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:04 am
Forum General

Post Re: Waves
A pretty great drama indeed. Fantastic performances from the younger cast members in this, especially Kelvin Harrison Jr. and Taylor Russell. Lucas Hedges impressed me quite a bit as well and I would even say the same about Alexa Demie, but the former two are the biggest highlights IMO. I loved how it was divided into two halves too with the second half having some of the most emotionally effective parts of the film and while they could have done more with the Sterling K. Brown and Renée Elise Goldsberry as the parents I thought their performances were solid enough.

B+

Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]