Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Red Corner 

Rate this film:
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Red Corner 
Keeping it Light

Post Red Corner

Quote:
Red Corner is a 1997 American mystery thriller film directed by Jon Avnet, and starring Richard Gere, Bai Ling and Bradley Whitford. Written by Robert King, the film is about an American businessman who ends up wrongfully on trial for murder. His only hope of exoneration and freedom is a female defense lawyer from the country. The film received the 1997 National Board of Review Freedom of Expression Award (Richard Gere, Jon Avnet) and the NBR Award for Breakthrough Female Performance (Bai Ling). Ling also won the San Diego Film Critics Society Award for Best Actress. The film was censored in the People's Republic of China due to its unflattering portrayal of China's judicial system.

Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:37 am
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Red Corner
This is a film I remembered fondly when seeing it when young, but I didn't recall it well and I'm surprised too there was not a thread for this year. I watched it again and it kind of has a few problems here and there, but I quite enjoy the 90's thriller vibe it has. The Beijing setting was apparently completely created and digitally imagined in the US and it's quite impressive aside from a few building shots. Gere is great as the American business man getting caught in Chinese culture and Bai Ling is unrecognizable in a dramatic role as his boyish lawyer, against type, from roles she took on after this. The opening sequence is very good and though the middle of the film is bit monotonous with its courtroom scenes, Gere dealing with a foreign justice system, though quite fictionalized, changes pace just often enough to be entertaining.

B-

Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]