Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 One Cut of the Dead 

Rate this film:
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

One Cut of the Dead 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post One Cut of the Dead
Quote:
One Cut of the Dead (カメラを止めるな!, Kamera o Tomeru na!, transl. "Don't Stop the Camera!") is a 2017 Japanese[1][2] zombie comedy film written and directed by Shin'ichirô Ueda.
Made with a low budget of ¥3 million ($25,000) with a cast of unknown actors, the film opened in Japan in a small theatre for a six day run. Following its international success at its screening at the Udine Film Festival, the film began getting wider exposure, including a re-release in Japan. It grossed US $27,935,711 (¥3.12 billion) in Japan and $30.5 million worldwide, making box office history by earning over a thousand times its budget.[citation needed] The film also received universal acclaim from critics, who praised its originality, writing and humor.

Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:02 am
The Kramer

Post Re: One Cut of the Dead
One Cut of the Dead is brilliant and so fucking funny. I'd recommend going in knowing as little as possible.

If you must know more, it's a movie about people making a zombie movie about zombies attacking people who are making a zombie movie. ACTION!

If you don't know anything going in, you will just assume that the first half hour or so is all that the movie is. A low budget zombie movie with a 1917 style of cinematography. Then the credits and you're like, wait, there's still an hour to go, what's happening? We then flash back a month to the Zombie Network (all zombies, all the time) pitching the director this absurd project, where it not only has be done in one shot, but also performed live too. After an appropriate amount of character building, we return to the set of the film and watch it again, this time from the filmmakers' point of view. The comedy comes from all the parts that were not planned, and how the crew has to constantly solve obstacles as they are live on the air.

This is an A for me. And even though it isn't a real zombie movie, I'd put it up on the Zombie Rushmore along with Shaun, Busan and Dawn.

Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:14 pm
Forum General

I saw this a while ago and actually really enjoyed it as well thanks to a youtuber I'm subscribed to reviewing it and recommending it. It's definitely closer to something like Shaun of the Dead than Train to Busan or Dawn of the Dead which are all great zombie films too, but this is quite different than any of those and because of that I found it really refreshing and unique. Also, you will have a much better experience with it IMO the less you know going in.

B+

Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:30 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

It's indeed pretty great, and if it wasn't for its insane box-office run, I probably wouldn't have watched it. It was filmed in a single week on a ¥3 million (a bit over $25,000 at the time) and features a continues 37-minute shot. It earned 1,040 times its budget.

A-.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:04 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]