Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Rent-A-Pal 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Rent-A-Pal 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Rent-A-Pal
Quote:
Rent-A-Pal is an upcoming American thriller film written and directed by Jon Stevenson, produced by J.D. Lifshitz, Brian Landis Folkins, Jon Stevenson, Annie Elizabeth Baker, Jimmy Weber, Robert B. Martin Jr., Brandon Fryman and Raphael Margules. It stars Wil Wheaton, Brian Landis Folkins, Kathleen Brady, Amy Rutledge, Adrian Egolf.

The film is scheduled to be released on September 11, 2020, by IFC Midnight.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:37 am
Post Re: Rent-A-Pal
https://horrorbuzz.com/2020/09/12/rent- ... oneliness/

This psychological thriller with a creepy, well executed premise is anchored by a solid (maybe even great) lead performance from Brian Landis Folkins. If that’s not enough there’s also a lived-in early ’90s setting you can almost feel, a small supporting cast free of weak links or pointless antagonists, and the occasional laugh–though make no mistake, it can be perturbing at times.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:39 pm
Forum General

Brandon Landis Folkins and Will Wheaton were equally great in this movie IMO. Will Wheaton as Andy was so go damn creepy at times to the point that it really unsettled me, but there were also quite a few scenes in this were he had me laughing at loud which was definitely the intention. That whole relationship between Andy and David was easily my favorite part of this film, but you know more than halfway through where its going by the time it gets to the third act which just makes it not as engaging to watch, because its so predictable.

It also felt like to me that the third act just kind of went on for forever and his relationship with Lisa started becoming less interesting to me as well. I definitely think some scenes could have been cut out entirely and with a better pacing I would have enjoyed this a lot more than I did, but its still worth a watch if you like these kinds of psychological thrillers.

B-

Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:19 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Its a great concept that is not executed as well as it could have been. The final act goes completely off the rails and I feel a different non-gory/non-flashy solution would have resulted in better emotional impact. Will Wheaton was great in here and the right amount of menacing while being believable. Brandon Landis Folkins is great here but the love story does not land enough to make an impact.

B-

Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]