Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Mignonnes 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Mignonnes 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Mignonnes
Quote:
Cuties (French: Mignonnes) is a 2020 French coming-of-age comedy-drama film written and directed by French-Senegalese Maïmouna Doucouré in her feature directorial debut. The film stars Fathia Youssouf, Médina El Aidi-Azouni, Esther Gohourou, Ilanah Cami-Goursolas and Maïmouna Gueye. The plot revolves around a French-Senegalese girl with a traditional Muslim upbringing who is caught between traditional values and Internet culture. The film is intended to criticise the hypersexualisation of pre-adolescent girls.

The film premiered in the World Cinema Dramatic Competition section of the 2020 Sundance Film Festival on 23 January, where Doucouré won the Directing Award. It was released in France on 19 August 2020 by BAC Films and internationally on 9 September 2020 on Netflix.

While receiving generally positive reviews from critics, it received poor online audience ratings and has received considerable criticism from the general public. Following the outcry, the film initially became a prime target of right wing tabloids and blogs. Netflix's marketing campaign, and later the film itself, were a subject of controversy due to the highly sexually suggestive behavior of the pre-adolescent characters, with some groups claiming that it sexualised young girls.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:37 am
Forum General

Post Re: Mignonnes
Honestly, I thought this was really agonizing to sit through and not just because of the sexual stuff either which was very uncomfortable for me, but also because of these little girls being such unlikable brats. Now, maybe that was the point, but to me it still made the whole experience even more miserable and about half way through I just wanted it all to be over.

I can actually see this kind of film working too and I'm sure the director probably had good intentions going into it, but between me feeling no real sympathy for any of the characters even the main girl and the awkward sexual situations they are put in I just couldn't get any type of enjoyment or entertainment out of it despite the fact that I do think it was fairly well made and the acting wasn't the problem either, but the execution could have been done a lot more tastefully IMO.

D-

Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:24 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Mignonnes
This had a great concept and potential but the choice of that exotic dance for girls is what killed this. Instead of what could have been a great coming-of-age drama it becomes an uncomfortable movie to sit through (unless you enjoy seeing young girls do exotic dance moves :P). The family angle had some REALLY strong moments but even those are shrugged off in the end to focus on the competition, which wasn't really required. The more I think the more I feel it had so many brilliant scenes where Amy pushes her friend to get into the competition but nothing is really explored.

With more focused script and some better choices this would have been a great movie. As such its a C

Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]