Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Palm Springs 

Rate this film:
A 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Palm Springs 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Palm Springs
Quote:
Palm Springs is a 2020 American science fiction romantic comedy film directed by Max Barbakow, in his directorial debut. It stars Andy Samberg, Cristin Milioti, Peter Gallagher, and J. K. Simmons, and follows two strangers who meet at a Palm Springs wedding only to get stuck in a time loop.

The film had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 26, 2020, and was released on July 10, 2020 by Neon via Hulu. It received positive reviews from critics, with praise for the performances and concept.

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:02 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Palm Springs
There have been so many of these time loop movies/shows but that works so well for this movie's concept. The love story is great, both Samberg and Milioti play each other very well without ever going over the top. The scenarios and reactions feel very realistic. J.K. Simmons was great here but Gallagher and rest of the cast is wasted here. The screenplay handles predictability factor very well.

Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:45 am
Forum General

Wow this movie is actually kind of great and I'm not even the biggest Samberg fan outside of Popstar, but his chemistry with Cristin Milioti was pretty fantastic throughout. I think the first two acts were the strongest though, because that's when I was laughing the most, but even though the third act did get a bit more serious I was still really enjoying it for the story. J.K. Simmons was also great in the brief scenes he was in and while the rest of the cast didn't make a huge impression I did get some good laughs out of Samberg's girlfriend and Tyler Hoechlin.

B+

Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:55 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I really loved this. it was funny, surprising and sweet. The entire cast was fantastic. I've been recommending it to several people since I watched. A-

Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:16 am
Profile YIM
Keeping it Light

It's not as hilarious as some previous Lonely Island ventures but it's definitely the most cinematic one. In terms of hilarity there is plenty of fun and laughs to go around though, it's just a well written and made comedy. The time loop day isn't too innovative, but I'm not tired of it yet and it isn't particularly special in the way it deals with it either, but it mishmashes its features into a nice mix. Samberg and Milioti are great and Simmons adds the right touch as well. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

B+

Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:17 pm
The Kramer

The timeloop story is stuck in a timeloop of its own, becoming a subgenre rather than just a wacky way to edit your film. We've already seen Love Wedding Repeat from Netflix this year, in the fall there will be games called Deathloop and 12 Minutes and I'm sure season 2 of Russian Doll isn't too far behind.

Palm Springs doesn't give a fuck about any of that. It takes the TimeLoop genre and owns it, creating a story of finding meaning in a mundane nihilistic existence. Having Samberg start the movie already in the loop was a nice twist (that was heavily foreshadowed but I was still surprised) that almost immediately set it apart from its peers. Moloti serves as the audience surrogate for most of the film, but even that is taken for granted as we realize she is stuck waking up to the worst decision of her life over and over. Brutal.

The laughs come frequently, and heavily - my favorite being the sex montage. Yet it never lets the comedy undermine itself like Lonely Island normally would (and I would have been fine with this normally.) The sweet and serious dramatic moments all work too though, and the characters earn their ending.

A+

And yes, that is a higher grade than Edge of Tomorrow and Groundhog Day. Fight me. Life is meaningless. :P

Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:53 pm
Devil's Advocate

Could have used a few more laughs, but nice romcom and Samberg and Milioti are both great. Interesting ending. I hope streaming is good for a romcom revival.

Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]