Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 The Old Guard 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
F 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3

The Old Guard 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post The Old Guard
Quote:
The Old Guard is a 2020 American superhero film directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood and written by Greg Rucka, based on his comic book of the same name. The film stars Charlize Theron, KiKi Layne, Matthias Schoenaerts, Marwan Kenzari, Luca Marinelli, and Chiwetel Ejiofor.

The Old Guard was released on July 10, 2020, on Netflix, to generally positive reviews from critics.

Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:16 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: The Old Guard
Some really cool ideas about immortality and the imprisoning immortals but in the end settles for a generic action thriller. Charlize Theron is so damn good in here and the rest of the cast does fine but no one stands out. Ejiofor's character is completely wasted here, hopefully given the sequel setup he might have a bigger role to play. There are lots of themes that are highlighted but then abandoned abruptly. The action scenes and choreography are great here. Decent but could have been better with a bit more focus.

Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:50 am
Forum General

Yeah its alright, but I expected way more to be honest. If Charlize wasn't so good in this and badass it definitely would have been even less memorable than it already is. The action sequences are good, but I can't even call them all that impressive when I've seen far better action in films like Atomic Blonde or Extraction. The weakest parts of this movie are by far the villains though with Chiwetel just being on autopilot the whole time and Dudley Dursley being one of the least intimidating boss villains ever lol. I will say though that outside of the action the character development was pretty solid in this movie too and those scenes were probably the strongest, especially when they involved Theron, Schoenaerts or Layne.

B-

Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:12 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was a lot of fun. It was brilliantly directed and the action was badass. B+

Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:45 pm
Profile YIM
The Kramer

Hey guys I have an idea. What if, instead of the X-Men, we just had an entire team of Wolverines. And not just his powers, but his personality too. Everyone is exactly the same. And oh, even though they're immortal, they can die, but only when we feel like it. Then we're gonna shoot and write the film in a way that a tortured immortal would, completely lifeless and without any effort to make it otherwise, because why care about anything when existence is meaningless anyways?

F

Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:45 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I can understand that you didn't like it but its hardly an F material movie. Charlize Theron's turn alone should be enough to bump it to D (or even C) grade.

Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:19 am
The Kramer

It’d be fine if everyone else in the movie wasn’t playing the same character as her. This was about as boring and ugly as movies get for me.

What’s extra weird is that I usually like Netflix’s action movies, even the ones that get really poor reviews like The Cloverfield Paradox. This one was obviously not made with my algorithm.

Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:50 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I had the same feeling with Extraction, just could not connect to it.

Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:27 am
Keeping it Light

I thought it was unfortunately pretty bad and basically side with Flava on it; the film has just no heart and I usually welcome serious action but this isn't good at it. It could have lightened up a bit and then it probably would have been easier to enjoy, it makes a few attempts at humor, but they just fall flat. I like Theron and relative newcomer Kiki Layne along with the rest of the cast is fine I guess, but they all share no chemistry and the relationship and tension between the characters feels forced. It's primarily just the script that drags everything down. The action itself is not bad, but it's like the most recent Godzilla and Transformers films where just on that alone a film can't stand and the sequences of the story and the motivations of the characters either feels dumb or doesn't make sense. The concept seems fun and should've been able to allow for something more entertaining, but this is a misfire for me.

D+

Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]