Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Capone (2020) 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Capone (2020) 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Capone (2020)

Quote:
Capone is a 2020 American biographical crime film written, directed and edited by Josh Trank, with Tom Hardy starring as the notorious gangster Al Capone.[2] The film centers on Capone after his 11-year sentence at the United States Penitentiary, as he suffers from syphilis and dementia while living in Florida. Linda Cardellini, Jack Lowden, Noel Fisher, Kyle MacLachlan, and Matt Dillon also star.

First announced in October 2016, production on the film did not begin until March 2018, lasting through May in Louisiana. Originally intended to have a theatrical release, it was released on video on demand by Vertical Entertainment on May 12, 2020. The film received mixed reviews from critics, while Hardy's performance itself was met with a polarized reception.

Tue May 12, 2020 8:30 pm
Forum General

Post Re: Capone (2020)
Well this was a disappointing mess of a film. I went into this super optimistic too despite all the negative buzz, but man was this bad. Hardy's performance is so damn fascinating throughout though and there are moments where I did think he was great in the role, but you have so much dumb, silly shit in this movie that completely bogs it down like him crapping or pissing himself every five minutes and the stuff with carrots was really goofy as well. It's a shame too because I actually thought the supporting cast was quite good in this, especially Linda Cardellini and Noel Fisher, but I could never get fully invested in the story and honestly when Tom Hardy wasn't hamming it up it did get pretty boring and dull really fast. I will always love Chronicle and I didn't entirely hate Fan4stic, but Trank just wasn't the right director or writer for this kind of material sadly.

C-

Tue May 12, 2020 11:22 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Capone (2020)
This is Hardy's film and he carries it well but the strength of his performance is not enough to carry this mess of a movie that has no idea where it wants to go. The idea is brilliant go into a fading man's mind and explore the torments of gangster life. The flashbacks if applied would have been a great tool because in one scene you are at dinner and you can easily immerse into a party scene filled with ballons. Unfortunately it never truly utilizes its setup and premise and ends up in a garbled mash of unintentional comedy and performance drama. Hard and Linda Cardellini deserve better than this material.

Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]