Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 The Gentlemen 

Rate this film:
A 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

The Gentlemen 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post The Gentlemen

Quote:
The Gentlemen (formerly known as Toff Guys and Bush) is a 2020 crime comedy film written and directed by Guy Ritchie, from a story by Ivan Atkinson, Marn Davies, and Ritchie. The film stars Matthew McConaughey, Jason Wong, Charlie Hunnam, Henry Golding, Michelle Dockery, Jeremy Strong, Eddie Marsan, Colin Farrell, Hugh Grant and Bugzy Malone.

The Gentlemen was released in the United Kingdom on January 1, 2020 and is scheduled to be released in the United States on January 24, 2020, by STXfilms.

Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:27 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Re: The Gentlemen (2020)
I love when we get a quality “better than it has any right to be” January release among the usual batch of studio dumps (think Den of Thieves) . The Gentlemen is a fun British gangsta/lowlifes romp and return to form for Guy Ritchie (probably because this is where he is most comfortable). Great dialogue, well paced and good to great acting all round. Grant and Farrell are highlights. Worth seeing.

Grade : A

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:16 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Gentlemen
Feels like this was missing an element that kept me loving it but it's an entertaining watch. Hugh Grant is fantastic.

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:56 am
The Kramer

Yeah this is a very fun movie that captures the spirit of Ritchie's earlier work. Hugh Grant is freakin hilarious. The editing is sharp but never annoying. Just a good time all around.

I don't think it properly wrapped up the story though, and I know that they tease this at the end with Miramax but it still feels like there was another scene or two needed. The whole movie is about Mickey wanting out of the game and having to fend off all of his unworthy successors, yet he doesn't get to walk away at the end and seems to be stuck there. Also, Coach's boys tried to freaking kill him! It ended up working out since they didn't know they were actually saving him, but again feels like that needed one more scene to resolve the plotline properly. Though I did have to pee really really bad at the end and might have missed something. Was there a credits scene?

Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:58 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Ritchie inserts his known style from his past movies and the cast steps up to do all the heavy lifting. When the movie tries to finally tidy up and make connections it just feels rushed thus some characters and their motivations aren't neatly closed. The funny bits are laugh-out-loud. The repetitive pattern of LOL-serious talk gets tedious while keeping track of these multiple timelines and arcs.

Hugh Grant was really good in this. McConaughey feels wasted here. Hunnan gets the best scene/moments of the film.

Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:28 am
Forum General

I fucking loved this and now I'm even more mad that I put off watching it for so long. Ritchie was really firing on all cylinders here and I'm so glad to see him return to form. The guy is just insanely talented when it comes to making these kinds of films to the point where I still don't understand why he decides to choose to do movies like Aladdin or King Arthur other than for a nice sized paycheck which is understandable I guess, but its a real waste of his talent IMO, especially when he has this great and size of a cast to work with. So much cool suaveness and badassery in this movie and some really fantastic performances from Hugh Grant, Charlie Hunnam and Colin Farell. I thought Henry Golding and Matthew McConaughey were pretty great too. I just wanted more out of the ending and honestly if Ritchie did a sequel I'd be so down for it.

A

Mon May 18, 2020 12:17 am
Keeping it Light

Yeah, this is really great, it's Ritchie at his best in what feels like a back to his roots film, though he did a good job with Aladdin too. It's the kind of back-stabbing, who's involved how and who does what tale of crime that's salivating. The cast is great and it's just good in every department. I couldn't get enough of the film and I think it's going to stay near the top of the year for me without effort.

A-

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:36 am
Indiana Jones IV

Ritchie's effective return to his roots. Script is interesting, somewhat clever and funny. Directing is strong. But the biggest reason to watch this is a bunch of great actors playing very colorful characters, and obviously having a blast doing so.

7/10.

Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:46 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Great to see you guys all loved it. Still the movie highlight of the year for me (I guess that doesn't mean all that much but still).

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:50 pm
Keeping it Light

I've been wanting to see this again since 2020, what a weird f*cking year that was. Finally got to rewatching it today and still a great gem of a film. Despite this being a real success it doesn't seem talked about enough.

Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]